Neil's Grammy nods

likepilateihaveadoglikepilateihaveadog Posts: 1,083
edited December 2005 in Other Music
Loved to see Neil got some nominations for the Grammys.
hope he wins, but I hope people weren't just thorowing him a bone after everything that's happened.
Prairie Wind was good, but...I just wonder if it's that more than anything.
comment.
Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i don't think it's just throwing a sympathy bone. prairie wind deserves all the positive reviews it's been getting and definitely deserves some recognition. it's really a fantastic album. neil's always been known for turning in some of his best work under difficult circumstances and illnesses. i seem to remember reading that he wrote "cowgirl in the sand" while suffering from a brutal fever and wrote it in less than a day. from interviews i've seen it sounds like prairie wind came along rather quickly for him during his trouble with the aneurysm. while i wouldn't go so far to say that it is in the same category as an album like, say, harvest...it's definitely got some "harvest-like" qualities to it. some have said it kind of rounds out with harvest & harvest moon as an outstanding trilogy. i think that's a fair assessment. i hope he wins for "the painter" and for album of the year as well.

as an aside, i've heard rumours that neil wants to make it up to the junos for not being able to appear at last year's ceremony by playing at this year's awards. i certainly hope it's true, because that would mean he's coming back to halifax!
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    i seem to remember reading that he wrote "cowgirl in the sand" while suffering from a brutal fever and wrote it in less than a day.

For the record cowgirl, down by the river, and i believe cinnamon girl were all written in one day while he had a pretty bad fever.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • I agree with what's been said...
    just throwing that out there...
    album is a stretch with the way things go...
    but the "painter" just might...
    just to get a nod isn't bad...
    if you care about that kind of stuff, I'm sure to Neil it doesn't mean all that much either way.
    NEIL!
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • intodeep wrote:
    For the record cowgirl, down by the river, and i believe cinnamon girl were all written in one day while he had a pretty bad fever.

that's right...i couldn't remember exactly how it went. thanks for the clarification. that's pretty amazing...three classic songs in one day!

also i have to agree that i don't think neil really cares either way...he'll just keep making great music...
  • Didn't Ray Charles win album of the year last year (maybe I'm wrong and it was a different awards show and this is just a pointless reply) now that was sympathy (don't get me wrong, i have great respect for him but that was not the best album of the year)

And sorry to say, I have a feeling Neil won't win album of the year (even though he deserves too) but unfortunately it'll go to someone like Kanye West (if he's nominated, i don't know)
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
  • the noms for best rock album are:

neil young - prairie wind
    U2 - how to dismantle an atomic bomb
    coldplay - X & Y
    the rolling stones - a bigger bang
    foo fighters - in your honor
  • Heads up to all Neil fans he's going to be the musical guest on Saturday Night Live this weekend, the host will be Jack Black. program your TiVO's!
    05/02/03 Buffalo, 06/28/03 Toronto, 09/13/05 Hamilton, 09/19/05 Toronto, 05/09/06 Toronto, 05/10/06 Toronto
    Keep On Rockin In The Free World
    http://spaces.msn.com/brileys
  • Heads up to all Neil fans he's going to be the musical guest on Saturday Night Live this weekend, the host will be Jack Black. program your TiVO's!

i know! can't wait! wonder what tunes we'll get..."the painter" and "when god made me", perhaps? or does he throw in a classic, instead of a future potential classic?
  • I wanna hear 'No Wonder' he performed it on Conan a couple months ago and it rocked.
    05/02/03 Buffalo, 06/28/03 Toronto, 09/13/05 Hamilton, 09/19/05 Toronto, 05/09/06 Toronto, 05/10/06 Toronto
    Keep On Rockin In The Free World
    http://spaces.msn.com/brileys
  • I wanna hear 'No Wonder' he performed it on Conan a couple months ago and it rocked.

yeah, it's definitely one of my favourites from the album. ...."i'll always remember something chris rock said..."...the week on conan was awesome!
  • MineAmIMineAmI Posts: 114
    the noms for best rock album are:

neil young - prairie wind
    U2 - how to dismantle an atomic bomb
    coldplay - X & Y
    the rolling stones - a bigger bang
    foo fighters - in your honor

that's a fuckin terrible list.
    we were but stones....your light made us stars
  • i certainly liked paraire wind a lot. the foo fighters i liked a bit of, but yeah the others aren't the best, in my opinion.
  • mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    I couldn't care less about the Grammy's...but it's good to see Neil on that list nevertheless.

I love Prairie Wind. :)
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
  • mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    Heads up to all Neil fans he's going to be the musical guest on Saturday Night Live this weekend, the host will be Jack Black. program your TiVO's!

And yes, thanks for the reminder!!! :D
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
  • mariposa wrote:
    I couldn't care less about the Grammy's...but it's good to see Neil on that list nevertheless.

I love Prairie Wind. :)

yeah the grammy's can be a bit of a joke sometimes. anyone remember when jethro tull beat metallica for best hard rock / metal performance?!?!