The top 98 albums of the 90's

2»

Comments

• jhawk98jhawk98 Posts: 145
    jemms wrote:
    ummmmm......:eek:

where the fck is 10 and yield in that list??

Yield = no. 65

Ten = Good album, would be fairly high on the list, but it's the only PJ album I don't own, so it's not there....
    rock chalk
    intodeep wrote:
    Very cool list.

I did not see any cracker on there. I thought they might be a band you like they have a little bit of an alt country vibe like uncle tupelo.

My list would be a bit different, but then again that's why it's my list and not yours :)

Kerosene Hat = no. 66. Great record, though it has its share of filler. Cracker is a good band, and you were right, I do like them. Need to get some of their other stuff. Any suggestions on which one to go with next?

BTW, I appreciate all the comments on the list, and the discussion, but what is with all the f-bombs? No big deal and I certainly throw my share around from time to time, but I just wondered why it was necessary to do so when talking about music on a message board.
    rock chalk
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    jhawk98 wrote:
    Kerosene Hat = no. 66. Great record, though it has its share of filler. Cracker is a good band, and you were right, I do like them. Need to get some of their other stuff. Any suggestions on which one to go with next?

BTW, I appreciate all the comments on the list, and the discussion, but what is with all the f-bombs? No big deal and I certainly throw my share around from time to time, but I just wondered why it was necessary to do so when talking about music on a message board.

THeir first self titled album with this iscracker soul, song about the rain, teen angst. That one has always been my fav.

I always thought you were a Jayhawks (the band) fan because of your name and you always seemed to respond to threads about jay farrar, uncle tupelo etc... lol i guess you are just a fan of he school and not the band. They were a decent little alt country band. I di dnot see one of their albums on your list though, but i could of missed it like i missed the Cracker album :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    YIELD # 65? Lack of Tragically Hip, Matthew Good Band (but I'll forgive you for those 2 because you are American and may be wondering who these bands are), Big Wreck, Guns n' fucking Roses, "Down on the Upside", STP's "Tiny Music", "Californication", I don't think I saw "Dirt" on there either. I like a lot of your selections though. Not a bad list at all.

edit: forgot Temple of the Dog and how about Rage Against the Machine.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • MattyMatty Posts: 8
    jhawk98 wrote:
    Not sure if this is a sarcastic comment (my meter must be on the fritz)
    but 3 snakes is not a good album. by far the weakest Crowes effort. Thankfully they rebounded with By Your Side.
    Cracked Rear View is not so great either, which is why both of these are near the bottom of the list.
    Hooooooooold myyyyyy haaaaand......

Yeah I was being sarcastic (thought all the hahaha's would give it away), but like obviously you're like entitled to your opinions and stuff.

But if you really consider BYS a "rebound" from TSAOC then I guess we are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Which is fine, but you're clearly insane. :)

Peace on you and stuff.
    "Private Pyle I'm gonna give you three seconds; exactly three-fucking-seconds to wipe that stupid looking grin off your face or I will gouge out your eyeballs and skull-fuck you!"
    intodeep wrote:
    THeir first self titled album with this iscracker soul, song about the rain, teen angst. That one has always been my fav.

I always thought you were a Jayhawks (the band) fan because of your name and you always seemed to respond to threads about jay farrar, uncle tupelo etc... lol i guess you are just a fan of he school and not the band. They were a decent little alt country band. I di dnot see one of their albums on your list though, but i could of missed it like i missed the Cracker album :D

They are a decent band, and I do have one of their discs on the list (Tomorrow the Green Grass at #56). You're right about my affections for the "alt-country" bands. But my name does come from my being a KU grad, not because of the band.
    rock chalk
    MCG wrote:
    YIELD # 65? Lack of Tragically Hip, Matthew Good Band (but I'll forgive you for those 2 because you are American and may be wondering who these bands are), Big Wreck, Guns n' fucking Roses, "Down on the Upside", STP's "Tiny Music", "Californication", I don't think I saw "Dirt" on there either. I like a lot of your selections though. Not a bad list at all.

edit: forgot Temple of the Dog and how about Rage Against the Machine.

Wow. I completely forgot Rage. Rage Against the Machine's self-titled comes in at no. 19. What a great record. I'm ashamed that I forgot about it. Best workout album in existence. The only one of theirs that I currently own, but all of their stuff is pretty strong. Great lyrics, and very powerful, intense music to go with them.

Plus the comments about the jayhawks made me remember Golden Smog too. Forgot their album "Down by the old mainstream which hits at no.66.

Temple of the Dog's record, while featuring one of the great songs of the decade in Hunger Strike, was for me kind of weak overall. I know that's not a popular opinion 'round here, but it's mine & I'm sticking to it.
    rock chalk
    gabers wrote:
    Good list. Drop Hootie and you can be my friend. ;)

The dislike for Hootie is not surprising. They are sort of a guilty pleasure for me, at least their first two records. Not the second coming of the Beatles, I know, but I can't help singing along to those songs. Frankly I don't remember the last time I actually listened to one of those records all the way, but I do break them out once in a blue moon. Sue me.
    rock chalk
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    Echoes wrote:
    Personally, PH is the weakest Radiohead album by a mile. Only one I don't own, only one I won't buy.

it's like you read my mind. if it was on sale for a penny i wouldn't buy it. i wouldn't listen to it if you gave it to me...not like you would because you don't like it either.
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    JSBE wrote:
    it's like you read my mind. if it was on sale for a penny i wouldn't buy it. i wouldn't listen to it if you gave it to me...not like you would because you don't like it either.

I'd buy it for a penny, I guess. I like having CDs, and then I'd have all their LPs, I guess.

But yeah I wouldn't spend five bucks on it
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
    jhawk98 wrote:
    80.The Chronic - Dr. Dre
    79.Cracked Rear View - Hootie & The Blowfish

this made me laugh for a second. quite a shift in musical taste.

i can tell you are a huge "alt-country" fan (yeah, i hate the term too) with all the son volt, wilco and tupelo on there.

like someone else said, surprising #1.
    Echoes wrote:
    I'd buy it for a penny, I guess. I like having CDs, and then I'd have all their LPs, I guess.

But yeah I wouldn't spend five bucks on it

i had it at one point and then realized how crappy it was...probably at the same time i realized that i didn't have to have EVERY cd by every band i liked...
    JSBE wrote:
    this made me laugh for a second. quite a shift in musical taste.

i can tell you are a huge "alt-country" fan (yeah, i hate the term too) with all the son volt, wilco and tupelo on there.

like someone else said, surprising #1.

you and me both. I do like just about every kind of music out there, save for what passes as "country" music these days. Those three bands you just named have made, and continue to make some of the best music ever created. There is nobody better IMO.

Amorica gets nowhere near the love it deserves. Definitely my favorite album of that decade, though just barely beating out Son Volt's phenomenal first effort. The sequence of High Head Blues, Cursed Diamond, and Nonfiction is just unbeatable for three songs in a row on any one album, maybe ever.
    rock chalk
  • darkgreendarkgreen Posts: 57
    only 21 albums that I really like...
  • 3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    i kinda glanced thru the list, but 2 glaring band omissions are: Guided By Voices and Dismemberment Plan. I might have missed it, but was Jane's Addiction on the list? Nice Massive Attack mention though. Placebo's Without You I'm Nothing should be up there. I know I'm forgetting a lot, like Bad Religion and Fugazi, but i guess it's not my list.
    Live Free or Die!
  • GriswoldGriswold Posts: 7
    jhawk98 wrote:
    Not sure if this is a sarcastic comment (my meter must be on the fritz)
    but 3 snakes is not a good album. by far the weakest Crowes effort. Thankfully they rebounded with By Your Side.
    Cracked Rear View is not so great either, which is why both of these are near the bottom of the list.

I also agree about Pablo Honey. Can't get into that one at all.

Whoever mentioned the Pixies, I'll give you that. That's a band I've heard a bit of and liked but never really taken the time get into. One of these days....

Echoes-

I'll check out the Built to Spill record. thanks for the recommendation.

Rebounded with By Your Side? That is by far the worst Crowes album ever. That's a consensus opinion by many, many Crowes fans.

3 Snakes is the No Code of the Crowes catalog, my friend.
  • Griswold wrote:
    Rebounded with By Your Side? That is by far the worst Crowes album ever. That's a consensus opinion by many, many Crowes fans.

Agree with that, nice list though...respect the uncle tupelo,son volt,jayhawks,crowes selections, not a real big wilco fan though. Amorica is my favorite also. Kerosene Hat would have made my top 10. Cracker's first record is definetly worth getting. One omission I see is no punk, gotta have some Social D, Offspring type stuff. Everclear-Sparkle and Fade would be up there for me also..good job.
    walk the bridges,.......before you burn them down
    Griswold wrote:

Not this Crowes fan. By Your Side is a solid, no BS straightforward rock and roll record. It's not experimental, it's not a change of pace for the band, but what it is, is good, loud, fun music, basically from start to finish.

3 Snakes to me sounds like an entire album of filler Every song on that album would be the low point of their other records, save for maybe How Much For Your Wings. That song is head and shoulders above the rest of the record.

Social Distortion has some decent stuff. I've just never really gotten into them.

I really don't care for the Offspring at all.

Sparkle and Fade is a very solid record, and my roommate played it a lot so I know it well. One of these days I need to pick up a copy. Sadly, Everclear went downlhill BIG TIME after that album.
    rock chalk
    pfffff

So Much For The Afterglow was awesome
  • Everclear fell off a cliff after So much for the Afterglow, and that record isn't all that great either. The Offspring-Smash is one of my favorites the rest of their stuff has a LOT of filler on it.
    walk the bridges,.......before you burn them down
    Echoes wrote:
    pfffff

So Much For The Afterglow was awesome

Hmm... ususally you and I are in agreement about things, but not on this one. For My money Wold of Noise was their high point, and even Sparkle and Fade was a bit of a step down.

Lots of people liked their other records though.
    rock chalk
    I dunno, I'm not a huge Everclear fan and I haven't really listened to World Of Noise all that much. What I do listen to is Sparkle And Fade/So Much For TheAfterglow and I really like them (of course listen is a subjective term since I haven't actually heard everclear in probably more than a year)
    World of Noise has a much heavier vibe to it. Much less of a pop sound than Afterglow or their subsequent output. Fire Maple Song was the big hit off that album, and deservedly so. It's what got me to listen to them in the first place. Great tune. Maybe their best.
    rock chalk
  • where is Throwing Copper?? THAT ALBUM IS A MASTERPIECE!!
    6-23-06...Pittsburgh,PA

www.myspace.com/hattricks412
  • Why is Superunknown only at 68, the most criminally underrated band of the 90's. Also need Throwing Copper and some You Am I.