SMC: The Coconutcracker Suite ~ Karl Blau's Kelp! Monthly Issue #2

alobaralobar Posts: 310
edited December 2006 in Other Music
Here's a very unconventional adaption of Tchaikovsky's classic, "The Nutcracker," performed by musician Karl Blau. Blau released this as Issue #2 of his DIY monthly "music zine" called Kelp! Monthly. Blau personally packages and mails the issues to whoever signs up on the mailing list.

If you want to know more about this and get on the mailing list, check this out:

kelpmonthly.com

This particular issue came with a screen-printed, hand-sewn case which held not only the cd, but also an illustrated booklet depicting Blau's vision of the story of the Coconutcracker.

The real gem is the music. Recorded very primitively by today's standards, it's essentially a reggae version of the Nutcracker.

Happy Holiday, mon!
"I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    awesome, I was actually going to put up Tchaikovsky's version :) I have seen the Nutcracker performed approx 18 times. The first 15 I went because I basically had to, I finally started appreciating it the last 8 or so.

The music I think if flat out awesome.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    cool, alobar. ;)
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Alobar, there were 2 emails in the gmail account for this, they both contain tracks 1 - 8. I didn't know if there was more than 8 tracks on this disc or 2 uploaded accidentally.

regardless, I got it playing. funky as hell. gotta love it.
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    I'm lagging behind but I'm really looking forward to hear this.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    transplant wrote:
    Alobar, there were 2 emails in the gmail account for this, they both contain tracks 1 - 8. I didn't know if there was more than 8 tracks on this disc or 2 uploaded accidentally.

regardless, I got it playing. funky as hell. gotta love it.

yeah, I just uploaded two accidentally. Glad you're liking it. That's pretty funny that you were going to put up Tchaikovsky's original. He's created some of the most memorable melodies.

I finally went to the Nutcracker last year on my own terms and loved it. It helps to go with a special someone.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    I'm listening to the first track now.:)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    It has a carnival, or rather a one-man band type of feel to it. A man with the cymbols on his knees, and the big ol' drum, and blowing the horn all at the same time. I was about to say it gets tedious after a while, but quite frankly it doesn't. I don't know if it's the best music to truly focus on without work to do, also, but it's quirky enough to not bore.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    Type in "Coconutcracker" into Google and you will see that this thread is the first thing that comes up. I thought that was amusing.
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    I don't really know what to say about this other than I like it. It's just so bizarre that I can't help BUT like it. I don't think I'd like it nearly as much if it didn't have such recognizable themes, but hearing such a different take on what is no doubt a classic piece of music is refreshing.