Here's the Song I wrote

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited November 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
This is the link to the song I wrote. If you like have a listen (maybe a few listens) (:

http://www.soundclick.com/AndyandDarren

Please let me know what you honestly think. We are all here to help to each other so please be honest.
I wrote all the lyrics (please listen closely, they are very meaningful to me), I played all the guitar parts including the solo, my good friend Darren sang the song because he has a great voice and I can't sing. The Engineer played the bass.
This is the song that I have been talking about for the last 3 weeks.

The title of the song is: Memories Remain

Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    you did a very good job of that. it sounds great. it must feel good to accomplish that given the circumstances and subject matter.
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    exhausted wrote:
    you did a very good job of that. it sounds great. it must feel good to accomplish that given the circumstances and subject matter.
    Thanks for the comment. It really does feel good to accomplish this song. It has been a goal of mine for about a year and a half, just shorly after I started playing guitar.
  • Sounds really good man. You should be proud!
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Wow, sounds really good!

Congrats!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    Cool! Thanks everyone for the positive feedback!
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    That was so well done. Congrats. You should be really proud. Beautiful job. I'm so happy for you because i know how much this means to you.
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    That was so well done. Congrats. You should be really proud. Beautiful job. I'm so happy for you because i know how much this means to you.
    Thanks Pj Gurl. I have heard some of your material and it is just amazing!
  • I'm just gonna say, it feels so awesome to hear this, because we've ALL seen you grow so much as a player over the last little while!

Pat yourself on the back!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I'm just gonna say, it feels so awesome to hear this, because we've ALL seen you grow so much as a player over the last little while!

Totally agree...so much, man. I like how the guitar and bass are mixed, too
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Very well done. The mix is quite nice and everything.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    Sounds great dude!

Sounds very professional...yet not too polished (that's a good thing).
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
    Sounds great dude!

Sounds very professional...yet not too polished (that's a good thing).
    Thanks. Yeh that's the sound I was going for. I wanted it to sound "real" if you know what I mean.
    hartamh wrote:
    I like it :) Did you sing it also? ;)
    I played the guitar parts and wrote the song and my friend Darren sang the song. He's a great singer and I feel his voice suits this song perfectly.
    I'm just gonna say, it feels so awesome to hear this, because we've ALL seen you grow so much as a player over the last little while!

WOW thanks for the very nice comment. Everybody here has helped me out so much along the way. I never thought after just over 2 years of playing guitar that I would be able to write a song, come up with a solo and have it recorded. It does feel really good.
  • It's a good track, certainly... well recorded, the mix is pretty good. Did our notes help much? How was the experience overall? Any tough parts, anything surprisingly easy?

I was wondering about the drum parts... you didn't mention a drummer in the credits so far... were they programmed, or did someone play drums?

The acoustic sounds pretty good... nice and bright, blended well. Was it just mic'ed, or did you take a direct line too? How was it mic'ed?

The electric also sounds pretty good... is that a POD or other direct interface, or did you mic up an amp? If so, what guitar / FX / amp?

Any idea what mics were used, or anything else on the studio's end?

Hey, it's a Musicians AND GEARHEADS forum... ;)
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Jam10 wrote:
    Hi there Ian, I wanted to personally send you a link to the song that I wrote because you have helped me out so much along the way.
    My friend Darren is doing the vocal parts, the Engineer is playing the bass and I'm playing all the guitar parts and wrote all the lyrics.
    Please let me know what you honestly think. Be as critical as you like. Thanks

Here it is, it's called Memories Remain

http://www.soundclick.com/AndyandDarren

Andy
    Andy . . .
    Hey I'm still on the road so I don't have a lot of time here. Hopefully I'll be back home early next week.
    Man, I can't believe how much I already miss my little boy pic#1 pic#2 (he'll be two on New Years Eve).
    I can usually take him and his mom with me to these session gigs, but it just didn't work out this time.
    Dude, I don't know how you go to work every day and leave your little one at home (yes, even when
    they're a little pain in the butt - lol) - Anyhow, this recording session seems to be going well (and hey,
    now you have a bit of an idea of what I do as a session guitarist). Soooo, on to your tune.

Okay, honestly . . . nice job. I know it feels good to be able to complete this. It was recorded well,
    & sounds like a decent production. Lets quickly talk about the individual parts. Vocals were decent.
    Decent overall playing. The acoustic sounded nice. Electric-wise you may want to stay away from
    playing pentatonics all the time (which can sound boxy until you get smoother licks), and make sure
    your bends are accurate as semi-tone bends can sometimes sound out of tune. I wasn't real fond
    of how flabby the bass sounded (but I'm guessing it was recorded direct, where as I prefer a mic'd
    amp cab, so that's that). I think that the snare drum sounded a little odd compared to the rest of
    the drums (almost like claps) - again, I'd probably have mic'd it differently, but I know it's just other
    peoples recording techniques (so I can't complain much), especially if youre happy with the overall
    product (how everything turned out). How do you like it??? That’s the outcome that matters most
    (I think she’d be proud of you). Overall I think it was a success, and I think that you should be very
    happy with it. Keep 'em coming - maybe you'll sing one next time :)
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • Sounds great, really does. nice work.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    Sounds awesome!!! Nice buildup in the chorus.
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Good stuff man! I'm not as much of a fan of the verses as I am of the chorus but that's just me. The chorus has a pretty good hook.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
    DOSW wrote:
    Good stuff man! I'm not as much of a fan of the verses as I am of the chorus but that's just me. The chorus has a pretty good hook.
    I appreciate the honesty. Thanks for the compliment.
    Sounds great, really does. nice work.
    Thanks
    It's a good track, certainly... well recorded, the mix is pretty good. Did our notes help much? How was the experience overall? Any tough parts, anything surprisingly easy?

I was wondering about the drum parts... you didn't mention a drummer in the credits so far... were they programmed, or did someone play drums?

The acoustic sounds pretty good... nice and bright, blended well. Was it just mic'ed, or did you take a direct line too? How was it mic'ed?

The electric also sounds pretty good... is that a POD or other direct interface, or did you mic up an amp? If so, what guitar / FX / amp?

Any idea what mics were used, or anything else on the studio's end?

Hey, it's a Musicians AND GEARHEADS forum... ;)
    Thanks for the compliment. Everyone here has helped out so much with all their knowledge and advice.
    The experience overall was amazing. It is a life experience I will never forget. I am going to keep on writing and making music. It is a great way to express yourself. I was in the studio for 12 and a half hours last week. I would say that the hardest part was playing in perfect time. I have never recorded before so it's totally different than playing live. Another difficult part was making sure you only play the strings you are supposed to play and mute the others because everything is heard through the mics. That's something I wasn't used to either because when you play live no one would even notice if you played one wrong note or hit a string you wern't supposed to. I would say that there is really nothing easy about recording in a studio. It actually is a lot of hard work. It's a lot of fun though. The whole experience and the final out come is worth all the time and effort in recording.
    The engineer has a software program for the drums so he tracked the drums using his software program.
    The acoustic was mic'ed. I was in one room with headphones on and the engineer was in the control room. That was a lot of fun. It felt really cool being in the studio.
    As for electric guitars and set up, I used my 98 Les Paul Studio, and the engineer had a Strat that he built that I used as well. My solo was played with my 98 LP. The chorus was played with both guitars and the acoustic. The first 2 verses were played with just the acoustic and the 3rd verse and the chorus' were played with all 3 guitars to get a well rounded full sound. For an amp I used my 50 watt Traynor tube amp (YCV 50). For pedals I used my keeley modded BD 2.
    I'm not too sure what type of mics were used and I really don't know too much about the studio side of things. (Sorry).
    Thanks again for taking the time to listen to the track and for the compliment. Hopefully you kind of get an idea of how my day was in the studio. I loved it and I want to go back! (:
  • I like it.
    Good job.
    I've been playing guitar since my 21st birthday where I bought the guitar with present money, so that is 3 years now wow time flies. (self taught, few hints and tips from friends that play along the way, as well as guides on the net)
    Maybe I should have a go at it hmmm, penned some stuff dunno if it's good.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • I like it.
    Good job.
    I've been playing guitar since my 21st birthday where I bought the guitar with present money, so that is 3 years now wow time flies. (self taught, few hints and tips from friends that play along the way, as well as guides on the net)
    Maybe I should have a go at it hmmm, penned some stuff dunno if it's good.
    Good is overrated. What matters is if you enjoy playing. I wrote a couple songs that I hated and let this sit for about 4 years. I pulled out one song that inspired our rhythm guitarist to pick UP the guitar. It's also been requested for a wedding song. Another one, shadows, I hate but the band likes it. Now, I play it with them and enjoy it. Opinions are great but for someone to tell you you're good or not is overrated-it's all about having fun and and enjoying what YOU like
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Jam10 wrote:
    I would say that the hardest part was playing in perfect time. I have never recorded before so it's totally different than playing live. Another difficult part was making sure you only play the strings you are supposed to play and mute the others because everything is heard through the mics. That's something I wasn't used to either because when you play live no one would even notice if you played one wrong note or hit a string you wern't supposed to. I would say that there is really nothing easy about recording in a studio. It actually is a lot of hard work.

Yeah... it's one thing when you play something and it's there for a moment, and then gone forever... one sour note, one missed beat, no big deal. But when you hit that sour note, and it's there EVERY TIME the song is heard... it's a lot of pressure. And it's always such a hard line to walk. You want the performance to have soul, to be human, and have the little imperfections that make it real instead of over-produced. But if there's that one little mistake that's always there... it's like, "here comes that one note." And it eats at you.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Yeah... it's one thing when you play something and it's there for a moment, and then gone forever... one sour note, one missed beat, no big deal. But when you hit that sour note, and it's there EVERY TIME the song is heard... it's a lot of pressure. And it's always such a hard line to walk. You want the performance to have soul, to be human, and have the little imperfections that make it real instead of over-produced. But if there's that one little mistake that's always there... it's like, "here comes that one note." And it eats at you.
    Exactly. That's probably the hardest part about being in the studio. You want it to sound perfect but also human like at the same time.
    Good is overrated. What matters is if you enjoy playing. I wrote a couple songs that I hated and let this sit for about 4 years. I pulled out one song that inspired our rhythm guitarist to pick UP the guitar. It's also been requested for a wedding song. Another one, shadows, I hate but the band likes it. Now, I play it with them and enjoy it. Opinions are great but for someone to tell you you're good or not is overrated-it's all about having fun and and enjoying what YOU like
    Great point!
  • saveuplifesaveuplife Posts: 1,173
    This is very good. You're friend sounds exactly like the guy from the Goo Goo Dolls.... but, better. And your music is seriously good. You got to try to market this. I'm betting you have even better songs up your sleeve.... so please, for the sake of music, stick with this.
    saveuplife wrote:
    This is very good. You're friend sounds exactly like the guy from the Goo Goo Dolls.... but, better. And your music is seriously good. You got to try to market this. I'm betting you have even better songs up your sleeve.... so please, for the sake of music, stick with this.
    Thanks buddy! I really appreciate it. You really think it's that good where I can market this?