any Mike McCready sound's fans should be interesting....

AJI-INDAJI-IND Posts: 2
edited February 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
any Mike McCready sound's fans should be interesting....
I would like to talk about mike's sound in here....
I always interesting w/ his warm, creamy dist+OD which always heard in every of his live bootleg. I was really2X surprise with his new pedalboard (2006), which is consist one kind of OD i would never imagine Mike will use it, modded BD-2

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/goodtruant/CCFA06/Dsc01847.jpg

The first pedalboard i've ever know is Yield Tour, it's consist of (from left): Wah Pedal, MXR Phase 90, Dunlop Univibe, Analog delay from BOSS, Dunlop Univibe, and Ernie Ball (for switch the dirty&clean amps), and then TS-808. It was easy to understand that he got the distortion from dirty amps mixed with TS-808. Sometimes i think mike doesn't add anything when he hit the solo, 'cause basically i don't recognize any difference between rhtym sound and solo's sound, TS-808 really add some mid in ur sound (i own one!), and if he push 808 when he gets the solo, i think the sound will somehow quite different.

The Second pedalboard is Riot Act Tour (2003), this is the list of his gear:
2003:
1. Boss DM-3 Delay
2. Custom Switch Box (channel-reverb-vibrato settings) and Overdrive
3. Dunlop 535 Wah
4. MXR Phase 90
5. ?
6. Hughes & Kettner Rotosphere
7. Greedtone Distortion Pedal
8. Boss OC-2 Octave
9. Line 6 DL-4
Not pictured: TS-9
Note: the order of Mike's pedals has been seen somewhat differently (w/ the TS-9 pictured) in the Riot Act Tour Program)

I think now Mike switch TS 808 with Greedtone Distortion Pedal or TS-9 (look at the note below the list)

The third pedalboard is The UFO (2005)....this is the list of his gear:
Bottom - Up:
1. Dunlop Crybaby (possibly 535q)
2. Hughes & Kettner Rotosphere
3. Ibanez TS-9
4. Fulltone Distortion Pro
5. Boss DM-2 Delay
6. Line6 DL4
7. Line6 MM4

I think Mike has different vision in here, correct me if i'm wrong, there's two possibility of this chain of stompboxes...
1. Mike use only the clean channel, and Fulltone is being use to make the clean amps dirty (main drive) and boost it with TS-9
2. Mike still use some dirty amps and the rhytm sound comes from dirty amps+the Fulltone, and when he is doing some solos, he will hit the TS-9.

WHICH ONE IS CORRECT GUYS?

The Fourth Pedalboard is the newest (http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/goodtruant/CCFA06/Dsc01847.jpg)
This is my main question in here....
I'm thingking of the same possibility in here

1. Mike use only the clean channel, and TS-9 is being use to make the clean amps dirty (main drive) and boost it with BD-2. Mike doesn't hit anything when he goes solo
2. Mike still use some dirty amps and the rhytm sound comes from dirty amps+TS-9, and when he is doing some solos, he will hit the BD-2.

I'm really confused when i look to this pedalboard....
I supposed the BD-2 modded is the booster, but u can look at the set up, it doesn't explain to that function. Normally, people will choose TS-9 rather than BD-2 for boost function, but the chain says that BD-2 goes first, so i think BD-2 is the booster, but if u think it's teh booster dist, u can look that mike tweak the dist knob to 12 0'clock, something that is'nt usual for booster setting (people usually take this setting; Vol full and drive almost zero)

ANY EXPLANATION GUYS.....I'M REALLY2x CURIOUS ABOUT THIS....
THANKS....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• A lot of his sound comes from his Trentino amp. I wouldn't hazard to say that he's pushing the amp pretty hard. It's probably already breaking up before he throws any pedals in front of it.

My guess is that he uses the BD2 and the TS9 for different sounds, and has multiple different variations if he's using a lead boost.

I know that I try to emulate the thick creamy, touch dynamic OD that Mike has with his strat. The only way I can get anywhere close is by cranking up my amp, and watching the tubes break up, and then throw an OD pedal overtop.

Check out the modded BD2 - it sounds fantastic.

http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=14
  • I have heard the audio samples of kelley Frank, i think he modded to be a good booster, and based on ur explanation, maybe Mike thinks he need two booster for different purpose.
    Is Trentino amps have natural distortion in it? What it sounds like?
    I just still confused with KeeleyBD2's the setting, vol at 12 o' clock, tone 11 o' clock, and drive 12 o' clock 4 for a boosting purpose? Pretty weird for me 'cause based on my experience (i have the same type of Mike's guitar, reissue '62 (yeah, i know mike use '59) w/ori '57 in it), it will little bit compres the sounds.....hmmm, anyone?