Anyone been in a band with a style you don't necassarily like?

DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
edited February 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
so my friends want to start a band with me. thing is, they are mainly into hardcore death metal. they're not crazy goths or anything, if you saw them you'd never think they listen to that, but unfortunatley they do. and that's what they play. i am the total opposite. pj is my favorite band for miles and miles, but i love soundgarden, alice in chains, stp, screaming trees, rage and all that. so my style is much more along the lines of pj and that kind of music. and when i see myself playing in a band that i am dedicated and serious to, i want it to be that style. so i told em i'd join .. i branched out a little and made up with a metal riff...sent it to them .. they loved it. it's somewhere in between ..not death metal, but not pearl jam. think along the lines of like a heavier alice in chains. it's going to be totally instramental by the way, for now. thing is, they are going to want to be much more comittied to this then i am. they loved this heavy stuff and want to really pursue this band, whereas i want to do it for fun and for a branching out learning experience. so when the times comes that they wanna do a recording or grab a singer n move on and stuff, i don't know how to leave it without seeming like a selfish dick. anyone go through this? any advice?
2006: Hartford
2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
2011: Ed Solo Hartford
2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    It would be much better to ditch the band earlier than later, especially if you want to keep your friends. You need to tell them straight up that although you can dabble in metal, that's not your passion and you probably won't be the best contributing member to the band. If you stuck with it now and ditched them later, they might not want to be friends anymore. At least if you tell them up front they should understand.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Novawind wrote:
    It would be much better to ditch the band earlier than later, especially if you want to keep your friends. You need to tell them straight up that although you can dabble in metal, that's not your passion and you probably won't be the best contributing member to the band. If you stuck with it now and ditched them later, they might not want to be friends anymore. At least if you tell them up front they should understand.

i hear yah. i kinda let them know it's not my passion and that when i assemble a band that i reaally want to pursue and we all want to play the same music, i will be comittied to that and will just jam in this other band for fun. they said it's cool lets forget all this we didnt even start jammin yet, blah blah. we'll see what happnes. HELL, mr. mccready did start in a fucking glam band.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    YEAH, All The Time.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    It's so ok to jam out and have fun with with people who like a different style than you do, but i wouldn't commit to a full on band unless i was into the style they were playing. It would be very hard to be enthusiastic and play with passion and feeling (which ultimately contributes to how well you play) if i was just thinking, 'oh wow this sucks'.

Ditch the band, keep the friends :)