Options

What's PJ's worst show ever?

Comments

• Options
    Sane MarySane Mary Posts: 223
    Reading 04 VFC- Tim Robbins and that awful song almost killed the entire show for me.
    I couldn't disagree more. Great show. I still listen to the boot.
  • Options
    I_Got_Shit wrote:
    The first MSG show in '98 is notoriously weak, especially for MSG. I'm sure that's what Ed is referring to on the Garden DVD when he says there's one they'd like to make better.

Great Call, was at that show (wish, I had went to night II). Mike had all sorts of issues during "Given to Fly" with his guitar and things just didn't seem to got very smoothly. Although getting to here "All Those Yesterdays" live was cool since they don't play it much anymore.

Also, there was the whole Ed having those guys bring out the boxes on stage for a pretty lame Ken Starr joke.

Wait, I forgot one more thing, Ed freaking teased "Breath" after seeing all the signs in the crowd (the Breath Movement). Played it the next night F'er!!!
  • Options
    he still standshe still stands Posts: 2,835
    Boooo to this thread.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • Options
    Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    NeilJam wrote:
    Columbus 2003 was my least favorite show. They even played the song most of us seem to hate - Evacuation.

ah, this wasn't a bad show...In my tree was killer, In hiding was great as was Light Years, Off he goes, SOLAT, Present Tense, Nothingman.....very good set now that I sit back and think about it!
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    PJ_Panic wrote:
    which one was the 'shoe the shoeless' gig? i'm pretty sure that one sucked.
    That wasn't a bad show... it was a GREAT show. Great enough to flip a total and complete Nirvana fan into a Pearl Jam fan.
    But... it definately was the WORST CROWD I have ever seen... well, except for that bunch of morons at the P.I.L. show at the Olymipc Auditorium in 1980.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    88keys88keys Posts: 151
    I have yet to attend a show that I felt was anything less than awesome... I guess I've been lucky with the 13 shows I have seen. But of all the bootlegs I have, the one that seems off to me, is the Paris (Bercy) show on 6/8/2000. Eddie's voice sounded very weak that day.
    Camden 8/28/1998; Jones Beach 8/24/2000; Camden 9/1/2000; Camden 9/2/2000; Albany 4/29/2003; New York 7/8/2003; Vancouver 9/2/2005; Atlantic City 10/1/2005; Albany 5/12/2006; E. Rutherford 6/1/2006; E. Rutherford 6/3/2006; New York 6/24/2008; New York 6/25/2008; New York 5/20/2010
  • Options
    Sane Mary wrote:
    I couldn't disagree more. Great show. I still listen to the boot.

OK, OK, yes it was a great show, but I just had to rag on the whole Tim Robbins portion. Seriously, it was that bad!!!!!
  • Options
    drlovemonkeydrlovemonkey Posts: 394
    My vote goes to Hartford 06. Crappy weather, crappy crowd, OK set list. Seemed like a big letdown from Albany the night before.

...but they more than made up for it with this year's show
  • Options
    Any show where they play "Come Back".
  • Options
    BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    CityMouse wrote:
    I really didn't enjoy Augusta, ME 1996 very much.
    Seriously? I've heard people mention this in greatest PJ shows ever
  • Options
    RoeghmannRoeghmann Posts: 968
    Any time they decide to share the stage with Sleater Kinney things do not go well.

I don´t know if you are aware of the philly ´05 gig..............amazing
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh see the world.
  • Options
    edvedderrocksedvedderrocks Posts: 1,001
    Röeghmann wrote:
    I don´t know if you are aware of the philly ´05 gig..............amazing

my favorite show. Sleater Kinney was horrible though imo. Couldn't wait for them to end the opening set & ruined the songs they sang w/ed
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."

1996 Merriweather, MD; 1998 Camden, NJ; 2000 Camden, NJ; 2003 Camden, NJ; 2005 Philly, PA; 2006 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2); 2006 Arnhem, NED; 2008 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2), Washington DC, MSG(night 2) 2009 Philly Spectrum Shows(nights 1,2,3,4) 2010 Hartford,CT and MSG(night 2)

ED Solo - 2008 Washington DC, 2009 Philly, PA(nights 1&2)*Met Eddie =)
  • Options
    meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,555
    Although I enjoyed the show, Ed called us out on 6/1/03 at Shoreline Amphitheatre for being lackluster or something. Seemed like a good corwd where I was standing. But that sucked.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [Los Angeles 5/21/24], [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • Options
    rtwilli4rtwilli4 Posts: 261
    Any time they decide to share the stage with Sleater Kinney things do not go well.
    I saw Sleater Kinney with PJ doing Fortunate Son to finish Raleigh '03.... loved it. LOVED IT!

I've only seen 8 shows but none of them have ever been anything but amazing. There have been songs that Ed has fucked up and the sound has been average at some of the places but the crowd is always good to say the least. For me, mistakes and random shit happening is part of live music... that's why it's LIVE!!
  • Options
    mnpjgrrlmnpjgrrl Posts: 38
    Ok, nobody has mentioned this show because no one was there... I'm talking about Fargo '03. Talk about the worst place ever to have any concert. Also, Ed was sick so he had real low energy. There were like ten 10C people there and we all stood & danced... but the rest of the place sat there like they were at a funeral or something.

One plus... it was the closest to the front I've ever been at a show.
  • Options
    Reading 04 VFC- Tim Robbins and that awful song almost killed the entire show for me.

Of the 15 or so shows I've seen, Reading 04 was definitely my least favorite...
  • Options
    florence151florence151 Posts: 597
    Cosmo wrote:
    That wasn't a bad show... it was a GREAT show. Great enough to flip a total and complete Nirvana fan into a Pearl Jam fan.
    But... it definately was the WORST CROWD I have ever seen... well, except for that bunch of morons at the P.I.L. show at the Olymipc Auditorium in 1980.

I have never been to a bad PJ show but...
    I vote for Camden 8/28/98 for having the WORST crowd.
    Hold On
  • Options
    gozzo5058gozzo5058 Posts: 611
    mansfield 1, 08 because of the curfew and the abrupt ending...
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    I have never been to a bad PJ show but...
    I vote for Camden 8/28/98 for having the WORST crowd.
    Were there a lot of those "Yo... Vinny!!" dudes there? Cuz I can see them edging out the Orange County Nazi Skinhead Surfers, East L.A. Cholo shitheads, Drunken Frat Boy Rapists, Psycho Hippie Burn-outs and Sunset Strip Mullet cut Head Bangers i had to deal with in Indio.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    rmst09rmst09 Posts: 57
    It's like it never happened.
  • Options
    asdfhaoisdghfioasndfibaosidfhuoasdhf
    a

STOP
    NOW

Reading 2004 was the most energetic show I have ever seen, it was absolutely INSANE

Hartford 2006 and Holmdel 03 gets my vote of the shows I've been to

reading 2004 was awesome....remember everyone in the building banging on their seats during last kiss? that whole show i kept thinking about how i'll probably never see pearl jam in such a small venue ever again
  • Options
    I'm going to say Hershey '03 (of the shows that I've been to.) It was an add-on show and was the night after their marathon Boston show (45+ songs?) The venue sucked and the band just seemed tired and not into it.

On the other hand, it's where 'mosquito bites' was born, so I guess it had it's moments.

I second that. Hershey stadium BLOWS!!!
    2000: DC / 2002: Letterman 2 / 2003: Raleigh, Charlotte, Pittsburgh, Philly, State College, Camden 1, Camden 2, DC, MSG 1, MSG 2, Hershey, Holmdel, Bridgeschool 1, Bridgeschool 2 / 2004: Reading / 2005: Philly / 2006: Camden 1, DC / 2008: Palm Beach,Camden 1,Camden 2,DC,MSG 1,MSG 2,Boston 2 / 2009: (EV) Philly 2, (EV) Baltimore 2, San Diego, Philly 1, Philly 2, Philly 3, Philly 4 / 2010: Boston, Newark, MSG 1, MSG 2 / 2011: (EV) Philly
  • Options
    upina2001upina2001 Indiana Posts: 764
    This was my first ever PJ show. It was just ok. One of the least energetic shows Ive heard from my nearly 700 live boot collection. ONLY 105 MINUTES!!!!!!!!!

09/22/96 - John F. Savage Hall: Toledo, OH
    attendance: 9,000

set: Sometimes, Hail Hail, Animal, In My Tree, Spin the Black Circle, Corduroy, Last Exit, Better Man, Lukin, Not for You, Jeremy, Even Flow, Mankind, Daughter/(I Believe in Miracles), Habit, I Got Shit, Alive, Blood
    enc 1: Go, Who You Are, Rearviewmirror, Leaving Here
    enc 2: Indifference
    notes: Ed totally botches the start of 'I Got Shit.' He tells everyone that has to go to school the next day that he'll write them excuse notes (so they can continue to play). A stunning closing with 'Indifference' with the house lights up. A solid show before a smallish crowd.

I guess it's better than this:
    02/21/92 - International II: Manchester, England
    notes: The evening of this show, PJ's tour bus was held up by thieves.

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    Of the 16 shows I've been to, these two were probably the "worst." and by "worst" I mean "not the usual spectacle that most Pearl Jam concerts are but better than any other concert I could have saw that day."

Yeah Tim Robbins did really, really, really suck. and did you see his band open? my god in heaven they were bad. As for the show, I was behind the stage (which I thought would suck but wasn't that bad at all). One thing that sucks about that show though was the acoustics in the building.

I defend the show on the basis of it was the first time "Sad" was played and it was the only show they played that year....so at least we were able to get our fix. I had a good time.
    I'm going to say Hershey '03 (of the shows that I've been to.) It was an add-on show and was the night after their marathon Boston show (45+ songs?) The venue sucked and the band just seemed tired and not into it.

The worst thing about this show for me was I was up on the left hand grandstands and everyone up there were bummers who just sat there like there. I think the setlist was pretty good. If I was in fanclub seats it might have been more enjoyable. But I actually liked the outdoor venue. It wasn't a bad show by any means. but I agree that the band sort of phoned it in.

I defend the show on the basis of it was the last time "Deep" was played.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    I've loved every show I've ever gone to.

I'm never happy when Eddie says that the "previous nights" crowd sucked.

I was at San Diego 06 and Eddie said that Vegas' Sucked. His voice was a bit strained I guess in LV. Anyway I loved both nights, although SD was one of the best shows of the tour.

My tour started in Denver with PJ opening for Petty. So those sets were short. Still great.

Tim Robbins played two or three nights in LA, and he is kryptonite to a set, but even he couldn't destroy the show.
  • Options
    phungiphungi Posts: 640
    I saw this band WAY back and the show on 04/04/92 at the Concert Hall in Toronto, Ontario was the WORST!

First off, they only played for 68 minutes, and only played songs from Ten. No Garden, no Release...Overall a weak set list, especially when the singer had other songs in his notebook that he was keeping from the band. Knowing they would run out of songs from Ten, they played songs off of the Singles soundtrack, and ended with some unrecorded and very angry song called "Leash".

The set was: Oceans, Even Flow, Why Go, Jeremy, Deep, Alive, Black, State of Love and Trust, Once, Porch, Breath, Happy Birthday, Leash.

They actually sang Happy Birthday to the lead guitarist, but not after the lead singer made the band keep jamming to a song called "Porch" while he climbed the lights and hung and swung around and tried to climb up to the balcony, before jumping into the crowd and surfing around... Friggin psycho.

You can bet I never saw THESE GUYS again, let alone followed the band 16 years later to post sarcastic answers to absolutely ridiculous questions.

(Every Pearl Jam show is a gift)
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • Options
    pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Shillington, PA/Tuckerton, NJ Posts: 3,428
    phungi wrote:
    I saw this band WAY back and the show on 04/04/92 at the Concert Hall in Toronto, Ontario was the WORST!

First off, they only played for 68 minutes, and only played songs from Ten. No Garden, no Release...Overall a weak set list, especially when the singer had other songs in his notebook that he was keeping from the band. Knowing they would run out of songs from Ten, they played songs off of the Singles soundtrack, and ended with some unrecorded and very angry song called "Leash".

The set was: Oceans, Even Flow, Why Go, Jeremy, Deep, Alive, Black, State of Love and Trust, Once, Porch, Breath, Happy Birthday, Leash.

They actually sang Happy Birthday to the lead guitarist, but not after the lead singer made the band keep jamming to a song called "Porch" while he climbed the lights and hung and swung around and tried to climb up to the balcony, before jumping into the crowd and surfing around... Friggin psycho.

You can bet I never saw THESE GUYS again, let alone followed the band 16 years later to post sarcastic answers to absolutely ridiculous questions.

(Every Pearl Jam show is a gift)

hee hee hee
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Options
    pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Shillington, PA/Tuckerton, NJ Posts: 3,428
    JWBusher wrote:
    Any show where they play "Come Back".

YES! ha ha--I was thinking that same thing
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Options
    58823005882300 Posts: 813
    Venice 2007
  • Options
    mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    PJ_Panic wrote:
    which one was the 'shoe the shoeless' gig? i'm pretty sure that one sucked.

But the boot is AWESOME

I'll pick ed and jeff in a rumble any day
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows