Options

What's PJ's worst show ever?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
edited July 2008 in The Porch
They are known for being a band who puts on one of the best live shows and plays like every show is their last, buts lets be real people, even Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods have off days.

What were some of the worst shows in PJ history? Shows where their heart didnt seem in it? Shows where everything went wrong?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    hartford 98? but it wasn't really the bands fault, so i'm not sure you can say it was the worst show ever...killer setlist for a "short" show
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    not sure why, but people on here always say Cincy 06. I think the boot is pretty good though
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    BravejamriotBravejamriot Posts: 217
    San Fran in 95? When Eddie had to leave because he was ill... It turned into a cool NeilJam set, but im sure people there were pissed
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    hartford 98? but it wasn't really the bands fault, so i'm not sure you can say it was the worst show ever...killer setlist for a "short" show

and one of the best was hartford 10 years later. hehehehe

I heard there was one show in '03 where they only played about 25 songs and it was mainly all greatest hits. I saw the set on paper and it looked like what a PJ set would be if the band decided to "sellout" and turn into a pure mainstream act. Could you imagine that?
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,123
    LukinFan wrote:
    not sure why, but people on here always say Cincy 06. I think the boot is pretty good though

Cincy 06 was a terrific show with great energy.

People complain about it because they only care about setlists.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    Cincy 06 was a terrific show with great energy.

People complain about it because they only care about setlists.
    i saw 13 shows in 06 and cincy was one of my favorites. crowd energy was amazing that night.
  • Options
    Reading 04 VFC- Tim Robbins and that awful song almost killed the entire show for me.
  • Options
    I'm going to say Hershey '03 (of the shows that I've been to.) It was an add-on show and was the night after their marathon Boston show (45+ songs?) The venue sucked and the band just seemed tired and not into it.

On the other hand, it's where 'mosquito bites' was born, so I guess it had it's moments.
    We're all different behind the eyes.

You are U, who you are.
  • Options
    I'm going to say Hershey '03 (of the shows that I've been to.) It was an add-on show and was the night after their marathon Boston show (45+ songs?) The venue sucked and the band just seemed tired and not into it.

I was coming on to say Hershey was my least favorite of the 13 shows I've been to. It was ok, but certainly not among any of the Pittsburgh, Cleveland or Boston shows I've been to.

As much as I like Tim Robbins, he was an ass at those 2004 shows. It didn't change the fact that Pearl Jam was awesome, though.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • Options
    How could there be a worse show than Roskilde 2000?
    Gets up, lights a cigarette he's grown to hate
    Thinking if he can't sleep, how will he ever dream?

But his heart don't seem to roam......
  • Options

I think it was understood they meant "Besides Roskilde..."
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,941
    there was an 03 boot i was listening to recently, but i cant recall which. they sounded like they were just going through the motions. i very rarely, if ever, feel the vibe i was getting from that boot.....pretty useless without the name i know, but i think the worst show they ever played is hidden somewher in that 2003 tour.

the 95 food poisining show you cant really count, cause they didnt play. anybody MAD at HAVING to see NEIL YOUNG play with PJ is a dolt. even though they played some songs twice.hehehe, damn tuna sandwich. poor ed, at least he tried.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    I think it was understood they meant "Besides Roskilde..."

Oh. Ok.

Then I have to go with the Tim Robbins debacle.
    Gets up, lights a cigarette he's grown to hate
    Thinking if he can't sleep, how will he ever dream?

But his heart don't seem to roam......
  • Options
    Reading 04 VFC- Tim Robbins and that awful song almost killed the entire show for me.

asdfhaoisdghfioasndfibaosidfhuoasdhf
    a

STOP
    NOW

Reading 2004 was the most energetic show I have ever seen, it was absolutely INSANE

Hartford 2006 and Holmdel 03 gets my vote of the shows I've been to
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632

exactly...bad for everyone all around...that was so sad :(

All the shows I have been to have been awesome :)
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    riffrandallriffrandall Posts: 685
    Any time they decide to share the stage with Sleater Kinney things do not go well.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • Options
    jmccue7jmccue7 Posts: 119
    i dunno about worse show, but the few songs they did with those backup singers at MSG I and II absolutely SUCKED ASS.

i didn't know WMA needed to have a dance to it. some bands just weren't meant to have backup singers.
    Merriweather '00
    East Troy '03
    Boston I '04
    Pittsburgh '06
    Lollapalooza '07
    DC '08
    MSG I & II '08
  • Options
    Panic821Panic821 Posts: 106
    which one was the 'shoe the shoeless' gig? i'm pretty sure that one sucked.
    my signature.
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,941
    PJ_Panic wrote:

indio 93
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    edvedderrocksedvedderrocks Posts: 1,001
    haven't heard on yet that I didn't like...
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."

1996 Merriweather, MD; 1998 Camden, NJ; 2000 Camden, NJ; 2003 Camden, NJ; 2005 Philly, PA; 2006 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2); 2006 Arnhem, NED; 2008 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2), Washington DC, MSG(night 2) 2009 Philly Spectrum Shows(nights 1,2,3,4) 2010 Hartford,CT and MSG(night 2)

ED Solo - 2008 Washington DC, 2009 Philly, PA(nights 1&2)*Met Eddie =)
  • Options
    PJ_Panic wrote:

Indio, CA - Nov 5 1993.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    I_Got_ShitI_Got_Shit Posts: 325
    The first MSG show in '98 is notoriously weak, especially for MSG. I'm sure that's what Ed is referring to on the Garden DVD when he says there's one they'd like to make better.
    *Does not include encore of Garden and Leash.
  • Options
    CityMouseCityMouse Posts: 1,010
    I really didn't enjoy Augusta, ME 1996 very much.
  • Options
    Brisbane 1 2003 was pretty flat.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    this show seems pretty lame on paper, i remember reading it was extremly cold and the band had no energy, pretty standard setlist...

birmingham 2003

Set 1 Go, Save You, Spin The Black Circle, Even Flow, Daughter, Better Man, Not For You, Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, Love Boat Captain, Corduroy, You Are, Thumbing My Way, Given To Fly, Wishlist, Animal, Do The Evolution
    Encore 1 Last Kiss, Black, Alive
    Encore 2 Soldier Of Love, Leaving Here, Yellow Ledbetter

only 22 songs
    NO TIME TO BE VOID OR SAVE UP ON LIFE, YOU GOT TO SPEND IT ALL!!!!!!!
  • Options
    DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    Didn't Rodman screw up the 1998 Dallas gig? I seem to recall that was a mess.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    this show seems pretty lame on paper, i remember reading it was extremly cold and the band had no energy, pretty standard setlist...

birmingham 2003

Set 1 Go, Save You, Spin The Black Circle, Even Flow, Daughter, Better Man, Not For You, Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, Love Boat Captain, Corduroy, You Are, Thumbing My Way, Given To Fly, Wishlist, Animal, Do The Evolution
    Encore 1 Last Kiss, Black, Alive
    Encore 2 Soldier Of Love, Leaving Here, Yellow Ledbetter

only 22 songs

But that would be a killer setlist for most other bands.

I think the "bad" PJ shows were because of other things like sickness or death.

The "shoe the shoeless" show was pretty good actually. Just a lot of yelling back at the crowd for throwing shoes at them. I love the rant about Jeff and him kicking the asses of all the shoeless fans.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    Columbus 2003 was my least favorite show. They even played the song most of us seem to hate - Evacuation.
  • Options
    Sane MarySane Mary Posts: 223
    San Fran in 95? When Eddie had to leave because he was ill... It turned into a cool NeilJam set, but im sure people there were pissed
    yes, especially since I bought tickets from a scalper at a high price!
  • Options
    CityMouse wrote:
    I really didn't enjoy Augusta, ME 1996 very much.

i loved that show, small venue, hearing i am a patriot at my first show was something i never would have imagined.

i would not have enjoyed as much if i tried to stay up front, it was hot and people were pushing and shoving like crazy, it was insanity.
    NO TIME TO BE VOID OR SAVE UP ON LIFE, YOU GOT TO SPEND IT ALL!!!!!!!