Jeff Ament's gear on the 05 Canadian Tour

campemcampem Posts: 13
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi to all gear heads does anyone know the specifics of Jeff's gear for the current tour.

From what I saw he's using 4 Orange cabinets with 2 Ampeg heads.
Are those actual Orange bass cabs? Would he use two different set of speakers for these cabs, something like a 4x10 and a 4x12, 15?
The Ampeg heads look to be SVT-Classic heads, is that right?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Seems like he's essentially using the same rig as last tour seeing how it sounds practically the same (sounds a little darker to me) but he's got custom coloured Ampeg 610's, instead of his usual black/silver (blonde from 95 - the european leg of the 2000 tour) SWR 610's. Also, the Ampeg cabs are a bit bigger giving his rig a few inches more height/width, probably making it bigger sounding on stage.
    As far as I know, his signal goes through a vintage mid 70's Ampeg SVT head (when they started using the plastic switches instead of metal) which powers the two left 610's, and the second SVT in the stack is for backup with another cab hooked up to it.. and the bottom right cab is powered by the Ashdown EVO II head which is used for the Upright bass. His signal is generally ran through an Avalon DI as well. He used to have a 410 wedge in front of his pedal board, but it seems like that's gone, along with the majority of the of the usual monitor rigs on stage (except for side fills and eddies monitors in the front of the stage). I guess they've gotten with the times, and started using In Ear Monitoring. There used to be yet another 610 behind Matt's drum riser as well.. but I don't know if that has been dropped either. can't tell from the pictures. hope this helps
  • Thanks a lot!
    I was wondering about the cabs. I'm sold to Ampeg myself and thought that's what he was using, but the Orange cabs where mistifying me!

Any suggestions for a bass distortion? I like a classic sound (Ampeg cabs and SVT head) but I would like to add a bit of a crunch. It has to have some tone but not too high cause I like to have big bottoms. I've tried a Ratt but I'm not convinced. I like the big muff but it's too much.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    campem wrote:
    Thanks a lot!
    I was wondering about the cabs. I'm sold to Ampeg myself and thought that's what he was using, but the Orange cabs where mistifying me!

Any suggestions for a bass distortion? I like a classic sound (Ampeg cabs and SVT head) but I would like to add a bit of a crunch. It has to have some tone but not too high cause I like to have big bottoms. I've tried a Ratt but I'm not convinced. I like the big muff but it's too much.

Jeff uses a fulltone bassdrive.

I suggest you try out a bunch of OD's distortions and Clean boosts.

The Pro Co Rat usually works well with bass and the cleaner Keeley Rat would be what you want since you aren't convinced but it gets expensive. There are lots of good options, the Catlinbread Sagrado Picoso would be a good choice too it's actually designed as a bass boost.

http://www.tonefactor.com/proddetail.php?prod=SPP here's the catlinbread.
    http://www.fulltone.com/stpframe.html for the bassdrive and fat boost.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • ^^

what he said.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    Jeff uses a fulltone bassdrive...
    Thanks for the tips, I'll be on the lookout for those.