I'm going to need to find myself a new band.

Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
My gig with my current band ends in two weeks. After this gig, the whole operation is halting to a stop. I want to keep playing with people as soon as possible. This gig has made apparent just how much my chops, phrasing and overall musicianship suffered during my 1 year off period. :(

I want to try and either join up with some people or through something together by mid March. I'd like to be able to do some steady gigs over the summer (May-Sept) and keep playing into the next school year on campus and whatnot.

The only problem is that I don't know very many available musicians around these parts. Most people are either in their own bands or are only around here for 8 months at a time. I was asked to play lead guitar for a Power metal band, but that's just not in the cards now.

I want to play a solid mix of covers and original stuff, but I'm going to need to find some people ASAP.

I know of the local music store classified, but the usual ad is like "Hi, I'm 12 and I want to play heavy. Call me. xxx-xxxx)

Besides Overhear.com, do any Canadians (especially Southern Ontarions) know of any awesome online resources?

Funny, because it never used to be hard to get into a good band when I lived in a small town.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    I am not a southern Canadian, but you might wish to check out Myspace. They have classifieds for musicians seeking musicians.

Other than that, are their any open mic nights in your area where you might be able to network with the few musicians who are there?
  • Hey DF.

I know how you feel bro. i was in a band a few years back that split cos the drummer left. it just sort of fell apart because the other guys lost interest.

i wanted to carry on, and its hard to find people on the same wave length.
    dont give up though. the open mike suggestion is a very good one.
    advertising is good but its always gonna attract a few straglers and you will need to vet / weed them out. if you can meet people face to face say, at an event locally, ish, it may work out better.

I eventually got one of my oldest friends to start to play bass, and now we practice and record stuff on regular basis. getting drummers is a god dam nighmare though.

Hope you find some like minded fellas to hook with, if i was touring the states / canada I'de be there like a shot.
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
  • I checked out the myspace classified and it's really uneventful. First off, they list only a few Canadian cities, so you have to dig to find London ads. There's a few but they're exactly what I expected they would be and I'm not interested.

I did see this one ad though for a recently split up band who's looking for a guitar player. I remember seeing them a while back and they were opening for people like April Wine and Colin James. The guitar player left the band and joined Kittie and I have no idea what happened to the singer. They were pretty solid.

The only problem is they're about 40 minutes away and I have no access to a car.