I'm Buying a Drum Set!

Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
My roommate is moving out, and now that I'm out of school I can finally afford a drum set!

I probably have a bit of research to do before I buy a set and probably will save up for a couple months before I buy one, but I have been to a couple of music shops this weekend and think I have found a great set.

My budget is $2000 CND inclusive (kit, cymbols, stool, and are crazy 15% tax), and so far my top choice is Pearl ELX for it's price range. The cost for the 5 piece is $1200 CND and includes hardware. I really wish my budget was more; there are some other great sets I would prefer.

All I need from here is a set of cymbols and a stool. I looked at Zildjian, and the guy recommended spending the cash on some great cymbols (which includes hit hat, crash and ride cymbols), which cost about $600. It seems like a lot of money for cymbols, but the guy seemed honest.

If anyone have any suggestions I'd love to hear them.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Good brass can cost a lot, that's for sure. And I agree with his recommendation to start with something pretty good. Zildjian is a pretty safe bet, especially the A and K Custom lines. I'm looking pretty hard at an A Custom Fast Crash for my kit, and a K Custom Dark Ride.

Paiste has some great cymbals in the higher price ranges, but nothing great for beginners. I'd say Sabian is the other company to look at. I started with one of their beginner lines (XS series) and have actually been really pleased with the 16" crash and hi hats.

Things to pay attention to: are they as bright as you want, or are they too bright? Do they decay too long or too short after they're hit? The wash on a ride cymbal is especially important, my Sabian is very washy and I don't care for that sound, which is why I'd like a K Custom Dark Ride, but the Sabian sounds much better on recordings because the wash doesn't get lost in the microphones.

One last piece of advice: Keep a little budget back for new heads. Get the kit and play for a while on the factory heads, but the snare will probably need both heads replaced, and new batter heads on the toms and kick drum. That's a whole nother topic there, and will require some research, but use the factory heads for a while and figure out how you'd like to change the tonality of the drums with new heads (coated vs. clear, one ply vs. two, hydraulic vs. dry). At least with the Pearl, you'll have decent hardware to start with, but you might prefer a new kick pedal if the one they have is crap (it's the one piece Pearl really lacks at).
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    Hey, thanks a lot for your input. While looking at the drum kits and cymbols I paid a lot to the sound of the drums, but didn't think twice about how any of the cymbols sounded. I just figured if you get a good name brand and spend the cash they should do a great job; turns out I'm wrong. Thanks for pointing that out.

After look at the set of drums, then reading the reviews on the site below it looks like you are right; the heads may need to be changed. The price on the set below is American and seems much lower even considering conversion (not sure why):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=141/g=perc/product/reviews/base_pid=448871/rpp=10/

Because it's been forever since I have played I'm likely going to stick with the heads I have for now, ans change them once I get better. I'm not in a band or anything, so for now it's just for personal use (and to use to practice lessions).

Any idea how much heads cost? I have no clue. And do all drummers change them themselves or is is better to take it to a music shop to do it?

After looking at drums this weekend I can't wait to pick them up. I'm also considering maybe buying the upgrade to the set I looked at: the Pearl Session Series, although I'm not sure what they charge for those here and not sure if they will bargin at all. I may research Yamaha as well, as I have heard great things about their kits.

Again, thanks for your thoughts.
    What kind of sound are you shooting for? Any drummers that really inspire you?

You'd probably expect to pay $150 US for new heads (not sure how they compare across the border). I use all Evans heads on my kit, and I love them... G2 coated tom heads, dampened kick head, dry snare head. All of them sound great. But it's the sound I was shooting for, and it's tailored to my kit (smaller Sonor kit with basswood shells). I also have a Pearl piccolo snare that I love, it has Remo heads top and bottom (comes with the drum). Like I said before, what brand and style of head you go with can be a big decision, there are so many options out there.

If you're shopping around kits in that price range, look at Yamaha and Tama for sure, maybe Sonor (I love my kit!). Pacific Drums (PDP) are made by DW and are phenomenal drums as well, very affordable for the quality. It looks like you want a fusion-style kit, which is sorta what I have. I love the sound of smaller toms.
    I really don't know what I'm shooting for. I bought a used and new kit when I was a kid. Both were budget beginner kits. I never tuned them, nor thought of what sound I wanted.

I love rock music. John Bonham, Jon Theodore (The Mars Volta), and Keith Moon are a few drummers I love. I just want a tight set that sounds good and doesnt rattle, because I can't stand that cheap sound. I"m not sure if you're asking what type of sound I want for the kit or the skins, but if you mean skins I guess I can always ask for help when shopping for them.

I have heard of a few people putting Evans skins on the Pealr kit I was looking at.

I also agree that small toms sound awesome. I love the way Carlos Beauford using them.
    btw, what do you mean when you say I prefer a "fusion-style kit"? What does this mean and how does it compare to others?
    Red Lukin wrote:
    btw, what do you mean when you say I prefer a "fusion-style kit"? What does this mean and how does it compare to others?

Fusion kits have jazz-sized toms but rock-sized kick and snare. It makes for a big kick-snare sound, but the smaller toms have a bit more snap and punch without the sub-frequencies. My kit has a jazz-sized kick drum, too, but I like the sound of a smaller kick if it's tuned right. Rock kits are usually 22" kick, 12", 13" and 16" toms, and 5.5x14" snare. Jazz kits have an 18" - 20" kick, 10", 12" and 14" toms (unless it's a 4-piece, 10" and 14") and snare varies by player. Fusion has a 22" kick, 10", 12" and 14" toms, and a 5.5x14" snare.

Fusion kits were made popular early by jazz-fusion players who wanted their kit to rock hard with the kick-snare, but still have the nuances of the smaller toms. Lately, they've been popular with hip-hop drumming (RATM to the Roots), funk, or anything where power and touch are both appreciated.
    Fusion kits have jazz-sized toms but rock-sized kick and snare. It makes for a big kick-snare sound, but the smaller toms have a bit more snap and punch without the sub-frequencies. My kit has a jazz-sized kick drum, too, but I like the sound of a smaller kick if it's tuned right. Rock kits are usually 22" kick, 12", 13" and 16" toms, and 5.5x14" snare. Jazz kits have an 18" - 20" kick, 10", 12" and 14" toms (unless it's a 4-piece, 10" and 14") and snare varies by player. Fusion has a 22" kick, 10", 12" and 14" toms, and a 5.5x14" snare.

Fusion kits were made popular early by jazz-fusion players who wanted their kit to rock hard with the kick-snare, but still have the nuances of the smaller toms. Lately, they've been popular with hip-hop drumming (RATM to the Roots), funk, or anything where power and touch are both appreciated.

Thanks man. I actually did a lot of reseach and I see the differences. This one place downtown sell the standard and basic ELX kits, but only has the standard kit onsale for $999. The fusion is $200 CND more, meanwhile on Pearl's website they are the same price. They even have the colour I want!

I want the fusion kit so I can add 8" and 16" toms later (maybe even an 18), and this way the toms would increase at the same leel, as opposed to having 12, 13, 16 etc. I would love the Session kit, but since I'd have to buy my own hardware and snare I think it's over my budget.

I'm think of upgrading the snare as well. So far I'm thinking the Signature Chad Smith, or a brass free floating (FF) snare (both are Pearl snares). Obviously the FF is much more, but I guess it depends how they are priced in the stores relative to one another.

Does anyone know of any cymbal packages that would fit well. My budget for cymbals is about $600 CND with the ride, crash and hi-hat. I am likely interested in Zildjian.

Thanks for your input.
    Red Lukin wrote:
    I'm think of upgrading the snare as well. So far I'm thinking the Signature Chad Smith, or a brass free floating (FF) snare (both are Pearl snares). Obviously the FF is much more, but I guess it depends how they are priced in the stores relative to one another.

Does anyone know of any cymbal packages that would fit well. My budget for cymbals is about $600 CND with the ride, crash and hi-hat. I am likely interested in Zildjian.

The Chad Smith sig. is one of my favorite snares... besides my piccolo, that is. I'd love to sell my current full-size snare and get a Chad Smith... good choice...

You could get this cymbal pack:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=perc/search/detail/base_pid/446547/

You'd be set for a little while, there.

I'd suggest either of these two:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=perc/search/detail/base_pid/440138/
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=perc/search/detail/base_pid/444662/

Or for a smaller budget:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=perc/search/detail/base_pid/446764/
  • Her is an idea I had when considering buying an SG standard from guitar center in detroit.

I go over the border, buy guitar, remove tags etc, take guitar back to Canada. If I am asked what I bought in the USA,I say "I just got a maintenance job on my guitar, new strings etc."

I ended up buying an american Tele instead, but in Canada, where I payed 200$ tax.

Anyway if I would have got that SG in the US with my plan it would have saved me 500$+ Canadian. Somethings we just get screwed on for no good reason (see ibanez Ad9 delay) and for those things I am tottally willing to decieve customs.

So my point is symbols are small and easily transportable. My "SG" plan would likely work for them if symbols ever need to be fixed in any way.

This plan works well for musical instruments because musicians often bring their stuff with them everywhere in the trunk of their car. A new looking TV is not so believable :)

Morally you can probably justify this if you are very young and just paid
    50 000 for an education you couldn't afford, and now the government will make interest on their loan to you :)
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
    The Chad Smith sig. is one of my favorite snares... besides my piccolo, that is. I'd love to sell my current full-size snare and get a Chad Smith... good choice...

You could get this cymbal pack:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=perc/search/detail/base_pid/446547/

You'd be set for a little while, there.

I'd suggest either of these two:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=perc/search/detail/base_pid/440138/
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=perc/search/detail/base_pid/444662/

Or for a smaller budget:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=perc/search/detail/base_pid/446764/

Thanks for the help with cymbals...i checked them all out...i really like the Sabian AA and checked them out in thw store. It turns out Steve's music in Toronto has Zildjian A Custom onsale and I can get them for about $440 US, $537 CND

So I'm likely going to go with the Zildjian A Customs, the ELX Pearl kit with the link below (check out the green kit cause im getting that one - the black looks swwet as well), and im gonna get the chad smith snare

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=96610

ill make sure i post pics when i receive them, although the only bad thing is that the green are a new colour and it may take 4-6 months to receive them