*Help* Tell me what I'll need to do

Rossum20Rossum20 Posts: 910
edited December 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok here's the scenario...I have been playing my electric with a digitech rp250 effects pedal and through the usb connection it provides, I am able to connect to my laptop and record with sony acid pro.

Now, I have a friend who wants to get a keyboard so we can play together simultaneously and still have recording function through my laptop and sony acid pro.

We need to be able to hear ourselves and each other with headphones so we don't make our neighbors angry.

Here are the inputs/outputs for my rp250

http://www.elderly.com/images/new_instruments/135N/RP250_back.jpg

What other forms of equipment do we need to make this possible?

THanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Well, you've got two routes as I see it.

If your laptop has a mic/line input, you should be able to plug the keyboard into that input, and still use the USB for the guitar. You would need to get a 1/4" TS to 1/8" TS cable from somewhere like Radio Shack; just plug the 1/4" into the keyboard's output, and the 1/8" into the computer's mic/line input. It may take some time to get that input configured correctly with your computer, levels, and into your software, but that should work. There are probably keyboards with USB ports as well. As for the headphones, just use your laptop's headphone output with a "Y" to split it into two headphones.

The better, albeit more expensive, option is to get some sort of computer recording interface. Firewire would be best, with more inputs and outputs available, but you would need a firewire port on your computer, and the interfaces cost more. USB interfaces would probably work just fine for your applications. You can get a decent USB interface for between $150 and $300 US. The MBox 2 is a ProTools interface, so you wouldn't get that if you wanted to stick with Acid. Lexicon, Tascam, and M-Audio also make pretty affordable boxes that should work with Acid. Most of the interfaces come with some sort of recording software included, and really, only ProTools/Digidesign stuff has conflicts between competing hardware and software. But you'd want to check on software compatability before buying, or be prepared to learn a new software program.

Most recording interfaces have the advantage of being able to record both mic and line signals, so you can use it to overdub and put lots of layers, mic up a guitar amp, sing, play tambourine, whatever.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Rossum20Rossum20 Posts: 910
    Well, you've got two routes as I see it.

If your laptop has a mic/line input, you should be able to plug the keyboard into that input, and still use the USB for the guitar. You would need to get a 1/4" TS to 1/8" TS cable from somewhere like Radio Shack; just plug the 1/4" into the keyboard's output, and the 1/8" into the computer's mic/line input. It may take some time to get that input configured correctly with your computer, levels, and into your software, but that should work. There are probably keyboards with USB ports as well. As for the headphones, just use your laptop's headphone output with a "Y" to split it into two headphones.

The better, albeit more expensive, option is to get some sort of computer recording interface. Firewire would be best, with more inputs and outputs available, but you would need a firewire port on your computer, and the interfaces cost more. USB interfaces would probably work just fine for your applications. You can get a decent USB interface for between $150 and $300 US. The MBox 2 is a ProTools interface, so you wouldn't get that if you wanted to stick with Acid. Lexicon, Tascam, and M-Audio also make pretty affordable boxes that should work with Acid. Most of the interfaces come with some sort of recording software included, and really, only ProTools/Digidesign stuff has conflicts between competing hardware and software. But you'd want to check on software compatability before buying, or be prepared to learn a new software program.

Most recording interfaces have the advantage of being able to record both mic and line signals, so you can use it to overdub and put lots of layers, mic up a guitar amp, sing, play tambourine, whatever.

thanks I appreciate the info...my only question seems to be that when I use my digitech effects pedal via USB is it a problem to use the keyboard also via usb at the same time?

I don't really have a software preference because there is way too much about acid pro I don't know how to use....is there a more basic recording software out there that you would recommend?

I guess I'll try the microphone jack to see what kind of results I can get...im not too picky about the sound at least for now...as long as it's tolerable.

Thanks again.
  • While I'm occasionally computer-savvy, I've had almost no experience recording from digital sources directly via USB. I would think that it should work, since the computer would recognize the two sources seperately. But unfortunately, I can't guarantee anything.

As for configuring the input, you may have to monkey around to get the level right. Mics tend to be much quieter, so the computer will want to crank up the level of anything plugged into the mic input. On my laptop, the controls are located:

Start menu -> Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> Audio tab -> under "Sound Recording", there is a button for "Volume"

You'll have to make sure that level is low enough that it doesn't distort, but keep it as high as you can without distortion. Then you'll have to configure your software to use that input for the keyboard track. Not being an Acid user, I'm not sure how to do that, but it should be fairly easy, and the "Help" menus should be able to get you there.

As for easier recording software, there are too many options out there... Digidesign used to make a free version of ProTools (called "ProTools Free") that was pretty easy, and yet similar enough to other versions of ProTools. Cubase LE is also supposed to be pretty easy. I've been assuming you work on a PC/Windows machine, but if you have a Mac, GarageBand seems to have a good reputation for ease-of-use. Then again, I usually "get" software pretty easily, and recording comes pretty easily as well, so "easy" for me may not be very relative to you. Maybe some of the other recording amateurs or recent newbies can give you better advice.
    great thanks a lot for your advice!
    http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?product=15185

what is your opinion about this recorder?
  • I can't say I've got any experience with that unit, but E-Mu is a good brand name, and the specs are pretty good.