Let's talk about compressors.

ExodusExodus Posts: 212
edited December 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey guys,

I was looking at the keeley compressor today. It seems to be very popular and it got me to thinking about how so many guitarists have a compressors in their chain. What exactly do compressors do to the signal. Or more what do they do to your sound? I see there are 2 knobs on the keeley compressor. What do these knobs do? I understand one is sustain? Is the other level? Why are these such a commonly used box and how could they help me achieve a cooler sound? What are some of the better compressors available and what are some of your favorites?

So fight the war fuck the norm.

errrr I mean lets talk about compressors
Between the conception and the creation

Between the emotion and the response

Falls the shadow.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Oh boy.

They do exactly what they say, compress the sound.

The Keeley Compressor is a copy of the old Ross compressor which is similar to the MXR dynacomp though the keeley is a little more hi-fi all of which are good ones to choose from but these are all more or less better sounding with single coil pickups, in fact they can give you a punchy crisp attack that is very pleasing. Compressors can take the shrillness out of effects and the bridge pickup of a strat or tele for instance

Level obviously controls the volume level output of the pedal. Sustain controls how much compression is applied to the signal.

Other compressors you might want to check out are the Barber Tone Press an original design to my knowledge more like a boost than a compressor it's said but essentially it takes the edge off without squashing the attack apparently.

The E-H Black Finger

The MXR Dyna Comp

Everything from Analogman.

to name a few to check out.

Stone has been using an MXR supercomp but if you're going to go that route you might want to check out Maxon.

I'm somewhat fond of the toadworks Mr. Squishy if only for the name.

The Boss CS-3 is fairly popular in the heavier crowd.

Then there are the ridiculously expensive rack mount tube compressors like the LA-2A MIG will no doubt explain the lot of this much more clearly and in depth than I am currently.

You can spend as much or as little as you like really.

You may also want to check out an EQ or a sonic maximiser like Aphex new specially made pedals for guitar, usually you'll find both of these effects in a rack mount.

Essentially compressors are used to soften harshness and add punch and sustain.

The Keeley is what some feel the perfect stompbox compressor, but the people that feel that way have usually been playing dynacomps for years.

You'll find that the Ross compressor is the most common clone with the Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer a close second. The clones usually sound a bit better, because they use better components and in the case of the OS actually have an external switch and or knobs to control it.

check out http://www.analogman.com and read about those compressors. You'll likely have to get in line if you want one but they are as good as anyone elses on the market.

If you can afford and find one, the Way Huge Saffron Squeeze is one of my favorites.

I love thier red llama overdrive too, sadly I refuse to shell out $600 bucks for one.

BJF over in europe has a nice one too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Oh boy.

They do exactly what they say, compress the sound.

The Keeley Compressor is a copy of the old Ross compressor which is similar to the MXR dynacomp though the keeley is a little more hi-fi all of which are good ones to choose from but these are all more or less better sounding with single coil pickups, in fact they can give you a punchy crisp attack that is very pleasing. Compressors can take the shrillness out of effects and the bridge pickup of a strat or tele for instance

Level obviously controls the volume level output of the pedal. Sustain controls how much compression is applied to the signal.

Other compressors you might want to check out are the Barber Tone Press an original design to my knowledge more like a boost than a compressor it's said but essentially it takes the edge off without squashing the attack apparently.

The E-H Black Finger

The MXR Dyna Comp

Everything from Analogman.

to name a few to check out.

Stone has been using an MXR supercomp but if you're going to go that route you might want to check out Maxon.

I'm somewhat fond of the toadworks Mr. Squishy if only for the name.

The Boss CS-3 is fairly popular in the heavier crowd.

Then there are the ridiculously expensive rack mount tube compressors like the LA-2A MIG will no doubt explain the lot of this much more clearly and in depth than I am currently.

You can spend as much or as little as you like really.

You may also want to check out an EQ or a sonic maximiser like Aphex new specially made pedals for guitar, usually you'll find both of these effects in a rack mount.

Essentially compressors are used to soften harshness and add punch and sustain.

The Keeley is what some feel the perfect stompbox compressor, but the people that feel that way have usually been playing dynacomps for years.

You'll find that the Ross compressor is the most common clone with the Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer a close second. The clones usually sound a bit better, because they use better components and in the case of the OS actually have an external switch and or knobs to control it.

check out http://www.analogman.com and read about those compressors. You'll likely have to get in line if you want one but they are as good as anyone elses on the market.

If you can afford and find one, the Way Huge Saffron Squeeze is one of my favorites.

I love thier red llama overdrive too, sadly I refuse to shell out $600 bucks for one.

BJF over in europe has a nice one too.

BJF has the Pale Green and Sea EQ, both are great.
    Teese has the FK1 which has been getting a lot of posts on other gear forums.
    The Demeter Compulator is favorite among many.
    The new one that is all the rave right now is the Pedalworx McSqueeze, actually all of his pedals are the shit.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    JofZ wrote:
    BJF has the Pale Green and Sea EQ, both are great.
    Teese has the FK1 which has been getting a lot of posts on other gear forums.
    The Demeter Compulator is favorite among many.
    The new one that is all the rave right now is the Pedalworx McSqueeze, actually all of his pedals are the shit.

I want a bender over under from Pedalworx, I'm just having a tough time finding the right tonebender fuzz to choose from.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I've been playing an MXR DynaComp for years, now... it's the one for me. Like Paco said, it really is for single-coils only. It tends to make humbuckers squeal and whine in a very unpleasant way.

So, what's a compressor? Compressors squash the peaks in a signal, keeping volume regulated. A fully adjustable compressor has Threshold, Ratio, Attack, Release, and Output controls.

The threshold is like a trampoline... it's a line that you can cross, but if you cross it, it starts pulling you back. The ratio is how much it pulls you back. The attack is how fast it starts pulling back, and the release controls how fast it lets you go.

So, say you're playing your guitar, and your signal registers around 90 dB. Occasionally, you really hammer on the strings, and all of a sudden you're hitting 105 db. You use a compressor and set it so that, at about 98 db it starts to grab the signal. You set a ratio of 3:1, so that for every 3 dB your signal goes over 98 dB, it only lets out 1 dB more signal. So, you play a note that peaks at 101 dB, but it comes out at 99 dB. You play a note that peaks at 104 dB, but it comes out at 100 dB.

Now, say you're playing the same songs, but on a much bigger stage. You like the way the compressor sounds, but instead of keeping everything around 100 dB, you want everything around 108 dB. So, you would keep everything the same, but bring the output up 8 dB.

On most compressors, you'll have two controls: Compression and Output. (Sustain and volume, etc... different names, same effects.) Compression is a combination of Threshold and Ratio controls. As you turn up the compression, it lowers the threshold and increases the ratio.

Now, what is this actually used for?

Compressors will really make single notes fat and resonant, so you can use it for finger-picking, chickin-pickin, little riffs or leads, etc.

Especially when combined with overdrive/distortion, a compressor will greatly increase sustain.

Like Paco mentioned, it can really mellow out a squacky single-coil pickup and give it some extra punch. And it helps to mellow out squacky effects, like Crybaby Wah pedals... when I still had my wah, I always put the compressor after it, made it a much smoother signal.

Some people will use it for a clean boost, with hardly any compression, for leads, etc.

Also very handy for controlled feedback.

A little compression creates a fat tone, but too much compression leaves a signal sounding lifeless and dull. So toy around with one, and see... it's really a very subtle effect, but it makes a big difference if you know how to use it.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I want a bender over under from Pedalworx, I'm just having a tough time finding the right tonebender fuzz to choose from.
    I am lookin at it as well. Its awesome, there are some clips up now. I was going to pick up a Lovepedal Cot 50 or Eternity, a Mos or Zen Drive and the bender over under. I need to sell a dime bag wah and then I will pick up the BJF honeybee.
    Have you heard a pedal called the Tim? It is made by Paul Cochrane in TN. It is very nice, I might pick this up as well.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
  • JofZ wrote:
    I need to sell a dime bag...

Stereotypical musicians...
    JofZ wrote:
    I am lookin at it as well. Its awesome, there are some clips up now. I was going to pick up a Lovepedal Cot 50 or Eternity, a Mos or Zen Drive and the bender over under. I need to sell a dime bag wah and then I will pick up the BJF honeybee.
    Have you heard a pedal called the Tim? It is made by Paul Cochrane in TN. It is very nice, I might pick this up as well.

Yeah, he's a big seller to the Nashville crowd I think.

any word on the Wheels of Fire wah?

Wow dude, watch yourself, you'll be buying Mad Professors and Diezels before you know it.
    Stereotypical musicians...
    LOL, you know I just caught that
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Pacomc79 wrote:
    Yeah, he's a big seller to the Nashville crowd I think.

any word on the Wheels of Fire wah?

Wow dude, watch yourself, you'll be buying Mad Professors and Diezels before you know it.

lol, WOF is nice but I am leaning towards the Pic wah, I think it gives me the true vintage sound. Who knows, I change my mind all the time. If I could get my hands on one for a day it would really help.

I was all about the Mad Prof until I saw a used one have some real trouble selling. High dollar items like that never have a chance. I just want a 65 super reverb, thats enough :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

JofZ wrote:
    lol, WOF is nice but I am leaning towards the Pic wah, I think it gives me the true vintage sound. Who knows, I change my mind all the time. If I could get my hands on one for a day it would really help.

I was all about the Mad Prof until I saw a used one have some real trouble selling. High dollar items like that never have a chance. I just want a 65 super reverb, thats enough :)

The 1965 Super Reverb is the way GOD and Leo Fender intended the Electric Guitar to sound.
  • Theres a super reverb at my local shop right now. It's a silver face though. Still pretty cool.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    The 1965 Super Reverb is the way GOD and Leo Fender intended the Electric Guitar to sound.
    I think its the only amp that I will ever be satisified with. There are a few on fleabay, but I am going to buy one from a reputable dealer. I want to make sure everything is working and original. I am going to use it not store it for resale down the road. Assuming any tube amp needs to be overhauled every 5 or 6 years I think I am better off paying a bit more upfront, then getting a bargin that I have to put cash into right away.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Theres a super reverb at my local shop right now. It's a silver face though. Still pretty cool.
    They are beautiful, aren't they. :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

• Pacomc79 wrote:

And Stevie Ray... don't forget Stevie Ray...