ed's 194? martin 00-17

xmascleanlovexmascleanlove Posts: 55
edited January 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
i've wanted a martin acoustic since i started playing guitar almost 4 years ago...but i wasn't really sure which one to get...well after this last tour when i isaw that all brown plain thing ed was playing and i heard the tone on it i was pretty sure i'd found the guitar i wanted...only problem was i didn't know what model it was or what year...and sure enough the awesome guys at giventowail.com came up with that list for the riot act tour gear and had it on there...i found one for 1400 bucks at an out of state vintage guitar place and got it as a little birthday present to myself...let me tell you...ed has good taste in acoustics

this thing has a beautiful crisp warm tone that totally blows away my takamine ltd 2001...i'd reccomend it to any acoustic player...granted the action is not the fastest but for any guitarist who's got a few years in it's not a problem at all...basically this guitar kicks ass hardcore...try and find one and play it and tell me what you think...

on a side note i was thinking about what kind of pick-ups to get but was looking for a little help in that area...i'm not drilling a hole in this badboy so that's out...any suggestions...other than micing of course

~anth
if you're a pot smoker and you don't own a ukulele you're fuckin up...but then once you get a ukulele you might end up moving to a guitar because its a gateway instrument you know
~ EV 6/25/03
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Can't go wrong with Fishman
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • something interesting I found out in the course of my research on Martin mahoganys. On top of vedder, it turns out during his coffee shop years Bob Dylan also played a 00-17 from 1949. He played it for about 2 years apparently. He traded in an electric for it straight up.

Vedder and Dylan, not too shabby as far as acoustic guitar endorsers go I would say
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • I've been drooling over this one for a while now... too expensive though, I'd have to sell all my other gear.

http://muziek.2dehands.be/markt/muz_instr/akoestische-gitaar/12375527-martin-0-17-1944.html?start=15
  • 1500 pounds? What currency is that in?

I am looking for a new one (which are still around 1200 Canadian). They stopped making them in 2002, but I have recently found 2 brand new D-17s (which were made last in 2002 also), and so I have hope that if I do some emailing I will be able to find me a brand new 00-17 that has been hanging around a store since 2002. How cool would that be.

I like the 000-15 and 00-15 too, but I would imagine a 00-17 gloss finish would be a lot less likely to get banged up and stuff. I think it looks better too.
  • So I had a dream last night. I got my hands on a 00-17 and it was really light. LIke really really light. It felt awesome. Hopefully reality reflects this dream.
  • 1500 pounds? What currency is that in?

that would be in euros
  • Tough break... I got an email back from long and mquade. Not a single 00-17 in stock in all of Canada.

If anyone sees one in Michigan, New York etc. Or if anyone knows of a big acoustic dealer I could call, let me know.

I may have found one in missouri.
  • Devastating blow to the search.

Of all the guitar centers in the states there is zero with a 00-17.

Out of 15 ontario guitar stores I called today 1 has one. They want 1700 for it. Fucking ridiculous. I asked if they would negotiate, they said "no its already priced to move, were already including a case"

FUCK OFF!! the case is the martin case that comes with. What bastards, ruining my dream. I'd consider 1400 (can get a D-17 for 1299). The D17s in london already showed what the price should be on the 00-17 which is not 1700.

BTW, Missourri was no luck. Long and Mcquade also no good.
  • K seriously guys, does anyone have some tips. This is killing me.

Rain Maida (the our lady peace guy) gets a 00-17 and I don't? There is no justice!

Has anyone here had real success negotiating down a price on an expensive guitar?
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    offer cash.

or just order a 00-15 with the glossy finish option.
  • Yah I am currently looking into a glossy 00-15. If I add binding and glossy finish it would be +500 Canadian. That would make it a 1400-1500 guitar which was closer to what Iw as willing to pay for the 00-17.