Options

Let's talk about compression and brickwalling.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,706
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Wow!  Well, that explains why Dark Matter is unlistenable for me.
    I'm having trouble as well.  The vinyl just arrived today, I sure hope it's better!!!

I hope so too, Wil.  If you get a chance, let me know what you think of the vinyl version.

I listened to the black vinyl version last night.  Cymbal crashes sound smashed, but the hi-hats sound ok. I really didn't hear any improvement. Sorry, Brian.  My equipment is all vintage Pioneer gear from the late 1970's.  HPM-60 speakers, SX-950 receiver and PL-570 turntable with a fresh cartridge.
    I was listening to badmotorfinger the other day and  I thought Matt’s drum sound from that album is almost identical to what it is on Dark Matter. 

I, myself don't hear that on Badmotorfinger.  Don't get me wrong, it's still a little compressed.  Which pressing were you listening to?

This is my go to pressing for Badmotorfinger:

I’m comparing the two just from copying the CD to itunes and into my phone going through beats ear buds. My badmotorfinger CD is an og from 1991. Dark Matter blu ray of course sounds different. I just thought it was interesting hearing similar lack of cymbal smash and the snare is pretty tight and subdued.