epiphone supernova (noel gallagher's signature series)

gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,131
edited June 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://search.ebay.com/epiphone-noel-gallagher_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

hey guys, i just wanted to get you guy's opinions on this guitar. i have seriously wanted one (the union jack finish) for several years but i have never seen one up close or played one. even though it is different than the one noel actually played (his was a gibson sheraton i think) i would still like to check one out. they are going for a pretty reasonable price on ebay but i am kind of leery about buying one without playing it first. i was wondering what you guys think about them.
"You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    his was actually an epiphone riviera i believe. biggest difference between his and the supernova is his had mini-humbuckers and a trapeze tailpiece. the location of the toggle may have been different too though i can't remember off-hand.

i used to own an epiphone dot and a sheraton II. both good guitars that benefit from electronics upgrades. i like them and would recommend them.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,131
    electronics such as pickups? i thought the 57s were supposed to be pretty sweet. what kind would you recommend? yeah i was looking at noel's guitar and i was wondering what kind of bridge that was. also noels has the union jack on both sides. so you would recommend one of these babies?

also i heard that hollow bodies are more succeptable to feedback and noise. is this true?
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i'd imagine those are the epiphone version of the 57s. still decent pickups. the switch and controls tend to be a little flimsy as well but for the price point, they're fine.

i had put gibson 57 classics in the dot i had but there really wasn't anything wrong with the stock ones. just preference and the need to tinker.

hollowbodies can feedback more at high gains but it's also somewhat controllable harmonic feedback that i personally like.

i've not had the opporunity to play a supernova but based on the epi's i have played, i'm sure it's fine.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I have a set of Epi 57's in my Explorer, and they're actually really, really nice pickups. The bridge pickup is actually the '57 Plus, a little hotter to balance with the output of the neck pickup.

I maintain that Noel Gallagher is a jackass, but his guitar IS pretty nice. Besides, it sounds like you're already interested... go to a store and play a few hollowbodies and see if they fit your style, and go from there. And while you're at it, if you get a chance, try an Ibanez ArtCore, they're very affordable and they're great guitars.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.