question about Ed's blue SG

gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,171
edited August 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ed played this awesome baby blue SG on tour last year and he smashed it on live at the garden. I have been looking for one of similar color for over a year now and nobody knows where to find one. I have seen them in red, brown, black, faded models, the new burst colors, and also in the godawful platinum but not in that light blue color. Someone suggested that it might not be a gibson, or maybe Ed had it custom made. Anybody know anything about this? does a company other than gibson or epiphone make sg style guitars?
"You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    It is a Gibson SG Special... I believe the color was blue teal flip flop

http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/sg/SGSpecial.html

What Ed did was replace the stock humbucker pups with Lindy Fralin P-90s. This requires a new pickguard and some routing on the body... something most good guitar shops can do for you.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/517260/

Not that I advocate buying a guitar online, without trying it out first. But Musician's friend has this guitar in stock $950. They have a pretty liberal return policy, so you could try it out and return it if you find you don't like it, you would only be out shipping.

They do exist. Enjoy and good luck
    There's No Code.
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    Ah, the blue teal flip flop. It's a great colour. I do believe pickguards.com can make you a new pickguard if/when you go the P-90 route.
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
  • Does anyone know the specifications on the fralin's that ed uses? like the percentage over and under and what not?
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
  • thanks for the info. i checked out musicians friend and gibson.com. i am not sure how blue it gets. both sites have a pic and it looks more green than anything. i wish they made that color in the standard. fuck i might just have to order it and if i don't like it send it back. my bass player says that his uncle (who owns a vintage guitar shop with hours by appointment only) has a light blue one from 1966. pricetag= $7000.

that finish is cool... it changes color depending on the lighting/angle... that's the guitar Ed played on the last tour, before modifications.

I am not sure if he custom wound the pups or not.
    There's No Code.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by He_Who_Forgets
    Does anyone know the specifications on the fralin's that ed uses? like the percentage over and under and what not?

look through the gear list at synergy or on the credits on the DVD, I forget who ed's tech is. Calling him or sending an email would probably do the trick.

I don't think he chose an over or underwound option though. I think he just chose the standard Lindy Fralin set up. Most people prefer that anyway on the P-90's. Usually people get the over and underwound stuff on strats and humbuckers.

The P-90 is already a fat single coil (around 8.5+K DC resistance) and kind of an inbetween there's not a large need for over or underwinding.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I'll chime in with my $0.02 worth...

http://www.fralinpickups.com/p-90%27s1.htm

Fralin's P-90's are not designated for Neck, Bridge, Middle, etc. positions. They are instead labeled by their winding percentages. You could go with standard (not over/underwound) for both positions, but the neck position by default has more output than the bridge because the string vibration is more pronounced at that position. If you want to match the output of the Neck and Bridge positions, you would need to get the neck 10-15% underwound compared to the bridge. Fralin himself uses a 15% underwound neck and stock bridge, which should provide creamy, mellow tone. I went with 10% underwound neck and 5% overwound bridge for some added bite. You could get both positions stock, and then position the neck pickup lower than the bridge, but that means your neck pickup's tone will be more prone to noise.

To clarify, all windings are basically custom windings (he winds each pickup to order, he doesn't just have a mess of pickups at each winding to fill orders). You can find retailers selling Fralin pickups, in sets, at specific windings (as I did). But those sets have a 10-15% difference in winds between the neck and bridge.

I don't know specifically what winding Ed's guitar has, or how you would find out, but I would assume he has some function of over- and under-winding between the two pickups.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • What part of LATG does he smash his guitar anyway?
  • its on the special features during the "down" video montage. he smashes it then the video cuts away to a few other clips, then it comes back to that part and he throws it over the amps. the guitar tech is like "holy shit!!" and goes running after it. funny stuff.

• by the way i ordered the blue/teal sg this afternoon. i can't wait to get it. its gonna fuckin rock!!

• A bit late, I know, but If there's anyone looking for a teal/blue flip flop sg special, I just spotted one for $750 new! It's at Rockit Music in Brea, CA. If anyone is interested, http://www.rockitmusic.com has the contact info for them and they can probably ship it to you. Sorry, but there's no pic on the website, you'd have to call.
    Cause I'll stop trying to make a difference. I'm not trying to make a difference. I'll stop trying to make a difference. No way!
  • Originally posted by LemonYellowSun
    A bit late, I know, but If there's anyone looking for a teal/blue flip flop sg special, I just spotted one for $750 new! It's at Rockit Music in Brea, CA. If anyone is interested, http://www.rockitmusic.com has the contact info for them and they can probably ship it to you. Sorry, but there's no pic on the website, you'd have to call.

damn, i'm paid $800 for mine. maybe the guitar store will match that price. thanks for the info.

• Originally posted by gimmesometruth27
    damn, i'm paid $800 for mine. maybe the guitar store will match that price. thanks for the info.

where did you get yours???
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
  • where did you get yours??? [/quote]

guitar center in st louis. they had to order it from gibson since none of their stores had one. i had to pay for it up front for the order to be placed, which sucks, but it should be here in a couple of weeks. i can't WAIT!!

After your SG comes in we will have to jam... I only jam with people who have SGs... :D That or a beat up telecaster.

Sounds like a good find though, I hope it works out for you.
    There's No Code.
  • what about a honeyburst les paul with a repaired headstock?

• ARRRGH!! fuck man, its been 11 days and i still haven't received my SG from Gibson........does it usually take that long when ordering from them???

• TriumphantAngelTriumphantAngel Posts: 1,760
    ARRRGH!! fuck man, its been 11 days and i still haven't received my SG from Gibson........does it usually take that long when ordering from them???
    holy thread revival batman!

i'll always be partial to my SG. i can't believe this thread was nearly 5 years ago? gosh.

and i still love you both more than chocolate ;)
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,171
    ARRRGH!! fuck man, its been 11 days and i still haven't received my SG from Gibson........does it usually take that long when ordering from them???
    holy thread revival batman!

i'll always be partial to my SG. i can't believe this thread was nearly 5 years ago? gosh.

and i still love you both more than chocolate ;)

ha ha, i forgot all about this thread. look at how whiney with anticipation i was lol...i can't believe its been almost 5 years since i got that sg. by the way, your avatar has a pretty nice shot of it. how did you get a pic of me anyway? freakin stalker.... ;)

oh well thanks for bringing this thread back from the dead lol...it was good for a laugh. loving me and the sg both more than chocolate? wow thats a bold statement....but i knew that anyway :lol:

• I thought it was Pelham Blue
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • TriumphantAngelTriumphantAngel Posts: 1,760
    I thought it was Pelham Blue
    didn't he have a junior in the pelham blue? eddies SG special was a blue teal flip/flop he used on the riot act tour.
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    I wish I was making more money back in 2004...I so would have ordered one! Especially since they discontinued that colour! Teal-Blue Flip Flop looks so good. One day I'll have the cash and one will be on EBAY, I just know it. Will totally throw in Fralin P-90's...one day...one day.
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
  • JW42505JW42505 Posts: 113
    Ed did not smash his guitar at the garden, that picture used for the dvd cover was from a different show. That sg has not been used by him for atleast 5 years. He doesnt give sg much love anymore.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    He didn't smash it at those shows.
  • I wish this guitar wasn't discontinued. It literally is one of my dream guitars. I want one so bad! I had the opportunity to get one the other day for $500 with only light buckle rash on the back, but I don't have $500. God I want one of these guitars and I too will drop Fralin p-90s in it.
    Alpine Valley 06-13-99 [EV-Solo]
    Alpine Valley 10-8-00 (The Icebowl)
    Chicago 05-16-06, 05-17-06
    Lollapalooza 08-05-07
    Chicago 08-22-08 [EV Solo]
    Chicago 08-23-09, 08-24-09
    Chicago 06-28-11, 06-29-11 [EV Solo]
    PJ20 Alpine Valley 09-03-11, 09-04-11
    Wrigley Field 07-19-13
    Wrigley Field 08-20-16, 08-22-16