Options

Finland and Sweden join NATO

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,008
edited March 7 in A Moving Train
HELSINKI – Finland must apply to join the NATO military alliance “without delay”, Finnish President Sauli Niinisto and Prime Minister Sanna Marin said on Thursday, a major policy shift triggered by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
Finland, which shares an 810-mile border and a difficult past with Russia, has gradually stepped up its cooperation with the North Atlantic Treaty Organization as a partner since Russia annexed Crimea in 2014.
But until Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, the Nordic country had refrained from joining in order to maintain friendly relations with its eastern neighbour.
“Finland must apply for NATO membership without delay,” Niinisto and Marin said in a joint statement.
“We hope that the national steps still needed to make this decision will be taken rapidly within the next few days.”
NATO allies expect Finland and Sweden to apply to join the alliance in the coming days and will grant membership quickly, five diplomats and officials told Reuters ahead of the Finnish announcement.

Finland must apply for NATO membership, leaders say (nypost.com)

Fix the cumbersome and broken quoting feature on this site @Sea Kat @elonmusk
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Kat on

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    I have two equally but separate reactions to this. 

1) GOOD, and
    2) FUCK
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,781
    your first post had a quote in it?

you couldnt copy and paste the text?

as to the topic, where is Sweden on this question at present? Which way is the country leaning?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    edited May 2022
    HELSINKI – Finland must apply to join the NATO military alliance “without delay”, Finnish President Sauli Niinisto and Prime Minister Sanna Marin said on Thursday, a major policy shift triggered by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
    Finland, which shares an 810-mile border and a difficult past with Russia, has gradually stepped up its cooperation with the North Atlantic Treaty Organization as a partner since Russia annexed Crimea in 2014.
    But until Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, the Nordic country had refrained from joining in order to maintain friendly relations with its eastern neighbour.
    “Finland must apply for NATO membership without delay,” Niinisto and Marin said in a joint statement.
    “We hope that the national steps still needed to make this decision will be taken rapidly within the next few days.”
    NATO allies expect Finland and Sweden to apply to join the alliance in the coming days and will grant membership quickly, five diplomats and officials told Reuters ahead of the Finnish announcement.

Finland must apply for NATO membership, leaders say (nypost.com)

Fix the cumbersome and broken quoting feature on this site @Sea Kat @elonmusk

Try "Please"?
    Post edited by Kat on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440

1) GOOD, and
    2) FUCK
    Dito. I totally understand the reasoning behind the decision, I just hope it doesn’t escalate things further
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    mickeyrat said:

as to the topic, where is Sweden on this question at present? Which way is the country leaning?
    A majority of Swedes now want to join (at present time, give it six month without a war and I guess those numbers would balance back to not wanting to join), and the leading party the Socialdemocrats are suddenly OK with joining to not make it into a topic during the election this fall. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034

1) GOOD, and
    2) FUCK
    Agreed.

good choice, only choice to be made after Ukraine 

expanding NATO is extremely dangerous.  I mean l look what happened when the Soviet’s expanded into Cuba.  This is that to them even if they directly caused it to happen 
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,011
    mickeyrat said:

A majority of Swedes now want to join (at present time, give it sex month without a war and I guess those numbers would balance back to not wanting to join), and the leading party the Socialdemocrats are suddenly OK with joining to not make it into a topic during the election this fall. 
    Tell me more about sex month. 😉
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

A majority of Swedes now want to join (at present time, give it sex month without a war and I guess those numbers would balance back to not wanting to join), and the leading party the Socialdemocrats are suddenly OK with joining to not make it into a topic during the election this fall. 
    Probably coincides with the start of sauna season 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Well, It is the SEXUAL LIBERATED SUPER POWER OF THE WORLD Sweden...
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

that doesn't jive with also being the Mario Kart Male Saturday Night Activity of the World. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

that doesn't jive with also being the Mario Kart Male Saturday Night Activity of the World. 
    Nothing's as sexy as playing some Strip Mario Kart. 
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,975
    mickeyrat said:

Nothing's as sexy as playing some Strip Mario Kart. 
    Just when I thought the internet was as weird as it would get, this happens. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    reminder this is an all ages forum
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    edited May 2022
    mickeyrat said:

With a strong presence between the ages of 9 and 14.

Hey, whoa!  Don't throw tomatoes.  I've said some really lame and dumb things here myself a few times.  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Don't see anything going against that in this thread.

But maybe it's just me, coming from a sound north European country that doesn't beep curse words on TV.

I'VE NEVER BEEPED SATANS BEEP
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

But maybe it's just me, coming from a sound north European country that doesn't beep curse words on TV.

thought it so obviously a joke,  a smilie or other identifyer was unnecessary.  guess  I was wrong

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    mickeyrat said:
    lol
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

thought it so obviously a joke,  a smilie or other identifyer was unnecessary.  guess  I was wrong
    It was obvious.
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,975
    So, is it definitive that both Finland and Sweden will become members of NATO?
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    dudeman said:
    No. AFAIK it requires unanimous support from existing members. Turkey who happens to be a founding member of NATO has been making some noise on the issue.

Hungary would also be a wild card.

leaving them hanging though won’t end well as Russia will be free to retaliate without having to deal with NATO. Finland/ Sweden  armies are no joke though 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    dudeman said:
    No. AFAIK it requires unanimous support from existing members. Turkey who happens to be a founding member of NATO has been making some noise on the issue.
    Yeah. A bitch that Sweden recognizes the Kurds. 

I ALWAYS KNEW THAT WOULD BITE US IN THE ASS.

In other news, the biggest party in Sweden The Social Democrats is now openly for a NATO membership. So that means we will join.
  • Options
    looks like the fins and the swedes called putin's bluff and won this hand. 

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-05-16-22/h_ea85b6de4dbff7fae17f482f88c91cf6
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-05-16-22/h_ea85b6de4dbff7fae17f482f88c91cf6
    yup.

Complete botch job by Putin who has been pretty remarkable in getting his/Russia's way over the years with the threat of force.

Now the word is out on that small dick and his paper tiger military and the world is onto them. 

Finland and Sweden in nato is a major disaster for putin.

Lots of indications he is in very poor health.  

Polonium sandwich is probably heading his way sooner rather than later
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Or he already knew something we didn’t 

Turkey just came out against. It’s going to be tough to meet their demands as I highly doubt they are going to just hand over whatever Kurds living there Turkey wants 

Putin doesn’t have to do anything, just sit back and watch NATO countries fight. If they get approved I’m betting his tone changes 

If sanctioning Turkey is a disqualifying factor for being in NATO….well I guess the US is in trouble with them too😂

Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    Turkey wants Sweden to hand over 33 individuals they regard as terrorists. 
  • Options
    being the most recent thread on NATO  am putting this here....

• Options

• Options
    gift article

Trump said he might ignore NATO’s duty to defend. Here’s what the group does.
     By Ben Brasch, Miriam Berger, Claire Parker and Sammy Westfall February 11, 2024 at 11:37 ET 

Former president Donald Trump said Saturday that he would encourage Russia to do “whatever the hell they want” to NATO member countries that, in his opinion, don’t spend enough to defend themselves. 

Trump, the front-runner for the Republican presidential nomination, has long criticized the alliance, including in 2018, when as president he voiced concern that using NATO troops to defend tiny Monte­negro could start World War III. Critics say Trump’s comments fly in the face of why NATO was formed in the first place. 

What is NATO? 
    The United States was a driving force behind the North Atlantic Treaty Organization’s 1949 formation. In the wake of World War II, the alliance was designed to bolster security in Western Europe among countries worried about Soviet advances. It has grown from its initial 12 countries to 31. 

The alliance rests on the principle of collective defense, meaning an attack on one member is an attack on all. Although NATO does not have its own armed forces, it maintains an integrated military command structure that includes all member states. 
    NATO’s top defense officials have been American, while the secretary general is usually a senior European political figure. 

Who pays for all this? 
    NATO members’ defense ministers in 2006 agreed that each country would contribute about 2 percent of their gross domestic product to fund the alliance. In practice, that means spending from non-U.S. allies combined is almost equal to that of the United States. The United States contributed $860 billion, 3.49 percent of its GDP, in 2023, according to NATO estimates. 
    What roles does the United States play? 
    According to NATO, the United States also provides intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance; air-to-air refueling; ballistic missile defense; and airborne electromagnetic equipment.

continues....

• Options