Options

Should PJ take a page out of NIN's book...

walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
edited March 2008 in The Porch
...and not do any encores? At least at the NIN shows that I've been to, Trent Reznor and co. refuse to go offstage for the typical "encore." They just keep on playing until their show is done.

Seems to me in the time it takes for an encore (or encores), an extra 1-2 songs can be added to the setlist.

Assuming, of course, that the subtraction of the encore would not reduce the length of the total show, would you be willing to give up the bands encore(s) for an extra song or two to be added to the set?
Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I would rather see the band take the one or two encores just to give them a bit of a break. I have seen many concerts and only one pearl jam show and they play for a good 17-20 songs for the regular set then between 2-5 songs for the encore(s). The only other band I have seen that has play close to that many songs in a set was Dave Matthews Band Their typical set is 15 songs with 2 or 3 for an encore. And all other shows I been too, Van Halen, Aerosmith, Green Day, Beastie Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd just to name a few really only played about 12 songs for a whole show and charge alot more money than PJ or DMB does.
    "Oh, I will make my way, through, one more day in hell...
    How much difference does it make"

5-13-06
  • Options
    SamuleSamule Posts: 3,231
    let the band do whatever the hell they want, it's their job, they don't need people telling them how they should do their job, just like we don't like people telling us how to do our job.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i love what pearl jam does now and i dont think they should change a damn thing at all!
  • Options
    SamuleSamule Posts: 3,231
    i love what pearl jam does now and i dont think they should change a damn thing at all!
    AMEN!!!!
  • Options
    gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    A. NIN plays shorter shows with little or no variance. Pearl Jam uses their encores to decide the remainder of the setlist.
    B. Eddie needs a smoke break.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options
    What? After 2+ hours, the guys don't deserver a bathroom break?
  • Options
    What? After 2+ hours, the guys don't deserver a bathroom break?

Yeah,
    i know they make fun of encores in Singles, but seriously, i think they take them because they need them.

With Crohn's, Mike especially probably at least needs the opportunity, should nature call. Matt's arms are probably nearly ready to fall off, and Eddie prolly just wants a cigarette and a few long deep breaths.

Have you seen the backstage with him from Picture In A Frame DVD where it is after the show?

Could you imagine him withOUT a break at all?

WOW!

:D
    And Stone and Jeff probably just need time to go medidate and reconnect with their Green River\MLB mojo-funk. For real.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    SteveoSteveo Posts: 352
    more encores!
    Life has nothing to do with killing time.
    So why be satisfied?
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    Matt's arms are probably nearly ready to fall off,
    have you heard NIN's industrial-esque drumming?? talk about arms ready to fall off... its apples and oranges tho... PJ's way has been working great for years and i see no reason to change it... the band likes to gauge the crowd energy after their normal set and then make the encore setlist accordingly
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    zenithzenith Posts: 3,191
    course they need an encore - they prob need to pee for one thing, they need a drink, they need to smile, they need to have a talk about what song to throw us - id still love them if they came out and turned cartwheels and made shadow puppets on the walls
    impatience is a gift ........
  • Options
    CanadianEHCanadianEH Posts: 134
    Agreed!
    Vancouver 07/19/98 Vancouver 05/30/03
    Portland 11/02/00 Vancouver 09/02/05
    Boise 11/03/00 Gorge 1 07/22/06
    Seattle 1 11/05/00 Gorge 2 07/23/06
    Seattle 2 11/06/00 Vancouver 09/25/09
  • Options
    Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    NIN shows are a little more rehearsed and structured. PJ shows seems to almost be improvised, not that they don't rehearse the songs, it just seems that they go up there, decide the set list right before the show and see what happens. So there is a lot more room for extra stuff in a PJ show than you would get in a NIN show (which is also fuckin awesome, but different than PJ).
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Options
    always4036 wrote:
    I would rather see the band take the one or two encores just to give them a bit of a break. I have seen many concerts and only one pearl jam show and they play for a good 17-20 songs for the regular set then between 2-5 songs for the encore(s). The only other band I have seen that has play close to that many songs in a set was Dave Matthews Band Their typical set is 15 songs with 2 or 3 for an encore. And all other shows I been too, Van Halen, Aerosmith, Green Day, Beastie Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd just to name a few really only played about 12 songs for a whole show and charge alot more money than PJ or DMB does.

You've never been to a Ween show have you. They play about 20-25 songs before an encore break and then come back to do another 8-12 usually after. Only one encore break but such a kick ass live show. Guarenteed 3 hours at every Ween show!
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    Encores can be a bit of a selfish tactic, if you look at them that way.

But I think it's an OK thing for them to catch a quick breather and decide which songs to play next.

Don't change a thing!

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    RomanzaRomanza Posts: 115
    Should PJ take a page out of NIN's book
    And begin to suck?

LOL - sorry, I couldn't resist. To me, NIN is really, really bad.

"This feeling is wonderful...don't you ever turn it off."
    -JJ
  • Options
    gleemonex wrote:
    A. NIN plays shorter shows with little or no variance. Pearl Jam uses their encores to decide the remainder of the setlist.

He usually takes that during Evenflow :)
    My whole life looked like a picture of a sunny day.

Summerfest 95, 06 Alpine 92, 98, 00, 03 Chicago 95, 98, 00, 03, 06, 07 Grand Rapids 04, St. John's 05 Milwaukee 08
  • Options
    ZeiffZeiff Posts: 15
    gleemonex wrote:

Isn't that why they play Evenflow?

Maybe I should have finished reading the posts!!!
  • Options
    BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    ...and not do any encores? At least at the NIN shows that I've been to, Trent Reznor and co. refuse to go offstage for the typical "encore." They just keep on playing until their show is done.

Seems to me in the time it takes for an encore (or encores), an extra 1-2 songs can be added to the setlist.

Assuming, of course, that the subtraction of the encore would not reduce the length of the total show, would you be willing to give up the bands encore(s) for an extra song or two to be added to the set?

They take 'encore breaks' to leave the stage take a piss and most importantly decide what the last few songs are gonna be based on how the crowd etc has been, being a fan of spontanaeity I'm gonna say keep the encores :)
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • Options
    Should Pearl Jam take a page out of NIN's book...

No.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    My3rdEyeMy3rdEye Posts: 926
    The breaks are for Stone's neck massages from all the duck walking. I thought that was common knowledge :)
  • Options
    My3rdEye wrote:
    The breaks are for Stone's neck massages from all the duck walking. I thought that was common knowledge :)

Haha! :D

I don't think PJ should change the format of their sets, at the end of the day, NIN are NIN and PJ are PJ... the world would be a very dull place if everything was the same :)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• Options
    My3rdEye wrote:

Haha! :D

I don't think PJ should change the format of their sets, at the end of the day, NIN are NIN and PJ are PJ... the world would be a very dull place if everything was the same :)

• Options
    Drew263Drew263 Birmingham, AL Posts: 602
    Hell, at my age, I need the damn encores!

:eek: