Options

Hong Kong's new national security laws.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
Seems like an important enough subject to talk about. 
What are some of your thoughts on the implications, and regional as well as global consequences of this action? 

Here's an article that explains much of what this is all about:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    in in Canada we have suspended our extradition treaty with Hong Kong...China needs to be dealt by the west sooner or later...but will not happen
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    I'd love to know what sort of consequences are possible. Is there anything short of war with real teeth? Because I don't think anyone has the appetite for that.

I'd love to see the US willing to accept as many Hong Kong refugees as want to come here. Between this and the Uyghur ethnic cleansing, China has become exceptionally belligerent and I have no idea how to stop it.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    I'd love to know what sort of consequences are possible. Is there anything short of war with real teeth? Because I don't think anyone has the appetite for that.

I'd love to see the US willing to accept as many Hong Kong refugees as want to come here. Between this and the Uyghur ethnic cleansing, China has become exceptionally belligerent and I have no idea how to stop it.

I'm not for war but I would be in favor of boycotting goods from China-- if that's even possible!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:

I'm not for war but I would be in favor of boycotting goods from China-- if that's even possible!
    Are we cutting off our nose by starting a trade war? I honestly don't know. 
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    pjl44 said:

Are we cutting off our nose by starting a trade war? I honestly don't know. 

I'm good with trade to a point, but I'm really more of a "homegrown" kinda guy.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    pjl44 said:

I don’t think people are just allowed to start fleeing the country they’ve clamped that down..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    pjl44 said:

I don’t think people are just allowed to start fleeing the country they’ve clamped that down..
    If that's the case, man that is unreal
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

If that's the case, man that is unreal
    Yep pretty much .

• Options
    I’m sure some folks got out when they saw the writing on the walls but now once they cracked down it won’t be easy to get out! 
  • Options

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Canada has suspended it extradition treaty with Hong Kong 🇭🇰...a good move.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Good move! 

We often take it for granted that we can speak our minds.  Over there, say the wrong words and... zip!   
    It's a bad scene. 

• Options
    brianlux said:
    I remember reading that. Definitely a good move. Based on my crack Google research, it seems the US does not have an extradition treaty with China. So that's good.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    brianlux said:
    I remember reading that. Definitely a good move. Based on my crack Google research, it seems the US does not have an extradition treaty with China. So that's good.
    But do you have one with Hong Kong...that is the problem.  My understanding is that China can now use the extradition treaty that Hong Kong has signed with other countries to extradite people back to Hong Kong and then shipped to China on trumped up charges to never be heard from again...

FUCK CHINA.  Time for companies to get the fuck out of that piece of shit communist country...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Good move! 

We often take it for granted that we can speak our minds.  Over there, say the wrong words and... zip!   
    It's a bad scene. 
    I agree.  If we were under FUCKCHINA rule most of us would be locked up...

China is evil...yet companies do business with those assholes...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,166
    in in Canada we have suspended our extradition treaty with Hong Kong...China needs to be dealt by the west sooner or later...but will not happen
    How, they outnumber us, and they're now a critical part of our supply chain.

We also sort of pulled a fast one.   People freak out that we lost all these manufacturing jobs over the past 20 years to China.  What I find remarkable is we managed to take one of the most pollution creating things we did, and scam a country on the other side of the world to do it instead.  Now they get all the pollution, and we breathe clean air.  How'd we pull that one off? :)
  • Options
    Zod said:
    How, they outnumber us, and they're now a critical part of our supply chain.

We also sort of pulled a fast one.   People freak out that we lost all these manufacturing jobs over the past 20 years to China.  What I find remarkable is we managed to take one of the most pollution creating things we did, and scam a country on the other side of the world to do it instead.  Now they get all the pollution, and we breathe clean air.  How'd we pull that one off? :)

Unless you live on the west coast, Zod.  True, the pollution is worse in China, but look what happens where us west coast folks live (and by west coast, I mean all up and down California, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, and some inland areas like Nevada, Idaho, etc.):

"Scientists found Asian air pollution contributed as much as 65 percent of an increase in Western ozone in recent years," NPR's Rob Schmitz reports from Shanghai. "China and India, where many consumer products are manufactured, are the worst offenders."

If you Google this:  "How much west coast pollution comes from China?: , you'll see much more information along these lines. 

We were foolish to send all our manufacturing overseas instead of learning to build clean and durable here.  We're foolish for consuming so much crap from China- mostly junk products nobody needs.  Foolish for buying cheap throwaway crap instead of durable goods.  And they are fools for wrecking their environment and their health making that shit.  It's a world of fools.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    Activist Nathan Law arrives in Britain after fleeing Hong Kong

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/hong-kong-law-britain-1.5647237
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Activist Nathan Law arrives in Britain after fleeing Hong Kong

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/hong-kong-law-britain-1.5647237

I can't imagine having to leave my country, leaving behind family and friends, in order to avoid imprisonment for talking about democracy.  Democracy for crying out loud! What an awful situation over there in Hong Kong!