Pearl Jam's "Present Tense" Was Always the Perfect Swan Song for Michael Jordan's Last Dance

HoccapukHoccapuk Posts: 532
edited May 2020 in The Porch

https://apple.news/AU3MpI6VLSYWn3BwefC0nyQ

Pearl Jam's "Present Tense" Was Always the Perfect Swan Song for Michael Jordan's Last Dance

Eddie Vedder had the song in mind 14 years ago.

Pearl Jam is no stranger to Chicago sports. They’ve performed at Wrigley Field multiple times. They’ve brought out a rolodex of athletes on stage. Hell, they’ve even written a song for the Cubs. In a sense, they’re as much a Chicago band as they are a Seattle export, and all of this has to do with the Midwestern blood that pumps through frontman Eddie Vedder. So, it’s not just poetic, but rather fitting that Vedder and co. would close down shop on ESPN’s The Last Dance, the fantastic 10-episode docuseries on Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls that have kept us sane these past five weeks.

“Time to go,” a now-grey Phil Jackson says of his Chicago Bulls. Soon after, the soft strings of Pearl Jam’s “Present Tense” begin — and with it the emotions. Slowly, we float around Chicago’s United Center, the arena of the former gods. There’s the empty seats. The waxed-up court. The banners that still watch over the fans today. And as the No Code gem gently carries on, Jackson and the rest of the similarly wisened champions reflect on their beautiful, final moment together: a fiery ritual.

“My wife had gotten her Master’s in social work, and she was part of a group that went in to help people who were grieving,” Jackson reminisces. “One of the things they did was a ritual which they kind of put things to rest.” As Steve Kerr adds, “He says, ‘You know, this is it, this is the last dance, last time we’re ever going to be together. He asked everyone to bring in anything you want to write about what the team means to you.” And that’s what they did: They put all their thoughts and feelings into words, placed them in a coffee can, and watched it all burn away together.

“Present Tense” seamlessly parallels this act. Throughout the near-six minute epic, Vedder ruminates on the long passage of time. “Are you gettin’ something out of this all encompassing trip,” he waxes existential, contending, “You can spend your time alone re-digesting past regrets oh…/ Or you can come to terms and realize/ You’re the only one who can forgive yourself oh yeah../ Makes much more sense to live in the present tense…” Figuratively speaking, those lines alone capture The Last Dance as a whole, particularly our intimate moments with Jordan, who’s spent much of the documentary revisiting past clips on a tablet, an image that’s since become a meme.

This isn’t the first time “Present Tense” has been linked with His Airness. Vedder made the association 14 years ago at Chicago’s United Center, as Cougars voice Greg Wrubell pointed out this morning. During a 2006, Vedder began the song by stating, “I think you can bring up Michael Jordan and the Chicago team since we’re in this room tonight and in their house. It was an amazing time in life, especially if you grew up in Chicago, to see that, and so even though music and athletics–it doesn’t really seem like they cross over, but this song, in particular, seems like it does, and I think about those guys.”

Call it foresight, call it serendipitous, call it what you will, but the song winds up aligning with Jordan’s final thoughts. “I’m not a poet, I just spoke what I felt at the time,” Jordan reflects on his speech at the aforementioned ritual, reiterating: “We’re always going to be bonded. You say thanks for the past. Enjoy the moment. Let’s make sure we end it right.” The Last Dance certainly acted accordingly: From there, Jordan, Kerr, and the rest of the unstoppable dream team say their final, final words, a blitzkrieg of vintage shots race by, and then we’re left with the cigar-smoking king himself. Not surprisingly, Pearl Jam gracefully accentuates these final gasps as they’re wont to do. After all, like Jordan, they treat every ending like it’s their last dance.

Post edited by Hoccapuk on

Comments

• vitovito Chicago Posts: 2,029
    Bravo
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
    NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
    PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
    IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
    XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
    BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
    ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
    Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

• Ince.esInce.es Posts: 315
    I have to listen to this bootleg again, and at leat on the bootleg this sentence is not said anytime:
    “I think you can bring up Michael Jordan and the Chicago team since we’re in this room tonight and in their house. It was an amazing time in life, especially if you grew up in Chicago, to see that, and so even though music and athletics–it doesn’t really seem like they cross over, but this song, in particular, seems like it does, and I think about those guys.”

Did it really happen?
    Hey Foxymophandlemama, That's Me -> Stupid Mop -> Estúpida Fregona -> www.estupidafregona.net
  • PapPap Posts: 28,775
    Great article! :clap:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I don't see why Consequence Of Sound would make that quote up. Sometimes parts of the onstage chat is cut out of bootlegs to fit onto the disc.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,784
    I miss igotid88
  • PapPap Posts: 28,775
    Ince.es said: Did it really happen?
    Chicago 16/05/06
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • unforgivenunforgiven Posts: 378
    Ince.es said:
    I have to listen to this bootleg again, and at leat on the bootleg this sentence is not said anytime:
    “I think you can bring up Michael Jordan and the Chicago team since we’re in this room tonight and in their house. It was an amazing time in life, especially if you grew up in Chicago, to see that, and so even though music and athletics–it doesn’t really seem like they cross over, but this song, in particular, seems like it does, and I think about those guys.”

Did it really happen?
    I have it on my bootleg, listened to it last night. He starts by saying that you can take the jerseys hanging from the venue down starting with the number 23, at which point the crowd boos him. He then states you can hang it in his bedroom. Then follows what you have above.