This can't go ON!

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,355
    I’m ok with not attending any major events again even if it means I have seen my last concerts, I’m ok with just listening to music by myself I’ll have to really really think hard about attending the rescheduled shows...
    I am not ok with this ;)

I'll be attending the shows when rescehduled.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,524
    I guess they could decide to go straight 'Survival of the Fittest' and move forward with an approach to let the weak, old, and sick die...but it would be a surprise.  
    As bad as that sounds, that is how nature was intended to work, and that is how it works best.  And because humans think we're so damn special, eventually we are going to destroy this planet to the point where nobody will survive unless we colonize Mars.  So yes, at least a modified version of 'survival of the fittest' plan needs to go on.  This virus is not indiscriminately killing everyone it touches.  The overwhelming majority are the old, sick, and unfortunately the compromised (with a very small % of seemingly healthy young people).  If this continues into the Summer, Fall, etc. we'll all be in a world of hurt...not just the old and sick.  Yes, sporting events and finally live concerts will be the last thing to come back, but I hope they do sooner (NJ & OHANA) rather than later.  #buyerbeware #attendatyourownrisk #prochoice
    I tend to agree.   I don't think people will put up with social distancing and a cripple economy for a prolonged period of time.   Eventually we would see civil unrest.   I don't think our governments can afford to pay us to stay home for a year or two.   I don't think people can handle staying socially distance for that period of time.   Something will give.  If they can't figure it out.. maybe the course does change and we let the thing rip because we decided it's better than the alternative.
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    rb173565 said:
    there's so much i wish i could say on this topic but the real question is why this is going on at all. seriously! U.S. official figures were that from jan 1st - march 20th over 110,000 people died due to regular/seasonal flu, i.e. 1375 per day on average. did they shut down the world and destroy the world economy and peoples lives. the answer is no! i'm not saying people aren't dying, they are i'm just saying that the whole situation has been blown out of all proportion. the media have been instrumental in instilling fear into everybody, millions die every year from malnutrition, starvation or unclean water and no-one cares. hell, a million people every year commit suicide, so a bit of perspective
    Seasonal flu does not overwhelm the hospital system. 
    Starving people don't overwhelm the hospital system. 
    Car accidents, suicides, unclean water does not overwhelm the hospital system.  

There is nothing being blown out of proportion.  "The media" is not instilling fear...they are reporting on what is happening, which is terrifying. Sometimes the news is bad.  

This news is real bad.  And flu deaths dont cause front line health workers to die.  And people are dying alone, away from their families, intubated.  And in turn, getting health care workers sick.   

My nurse friend, who is married with 2 children, is fighting on the front lines of this thing, and she has had to rent an apartment away from her family for the past month.  No hugs, no kisses.  No seeing her children.  FLU DOES NOT DO THIS. 

Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • DrdealDrdeal Posts: 695
    I recall hearing at their last concert (Fenway 2) that Jeff said they would not play live for long time. How right he was.....
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,760
    Vedd Hedd said:
    rb173565 said:
    there's so much i wish i could say on this topic but the real question is why this is going on at all. seriously! U.S. official figures were that from jan 1st - march 20th over 110,000 people died due to regular/seasonal flu, i.e. 1375 per day on average. did they shut down the world and destroy the world economy and peoples lives. the answer is no! i'm not saying people aren't dying, they are i'm just saying that the whole situation has been blown out of all proportion. the media have been instrumental in instilling fear into everybody, millions die every year from malnutrition, starvation or unclean water and no-one cares. hell, a million people every year commit suicide, so a bit of perspective

There is nothing being blown out of proportion.  "The media" is not instilling fear...they are reporting on what is happening, which is terrifying. Sometimes the news is bad.  

This news is real bad.  And flu deaths dont cause front line health workers to die.  And people are dying alone, away from their families, intubated.  And in turn, getting health care workers sick.   

My nurse friend, who is married with 2 children, is fighting on the front lines of this thing, and she has had to rent an apartment away from her family for the past month.  No hugs, no kisses.  No seeing her children.  FLU DOES NOT DO THIS. 

This.  I've lost 2 people I know to this.  Both in their early 40's, both healthy.  They died alone in hospital rooms and will be buried without a proper funeral.  

Over 100 doctors in Italy have died so far.  I could go on but what's the point?
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,465
    My best friend just lost his dad, got a call and then never got to see him. I'm told there will be no service. This is unfathomable prior to now.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,671
    Vedd Hedd said:
    rb173565 said:

On focksnooze it does
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,895
    Vedd Hedd said:
    rb173565 said:
    Car accidents, suicides, unclean water does
    not overwhelm the hospital system.  

Well said. And without social distancing, it would be exponentially worse. 
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • JH59748JH59748 Posts: 98
    I am upset as everyone else on missing out on shows but we have real world problems.So if we can’t go to see a live concert or sporting event until 2021 or later we have to deal with it. This isn’t the flu and normal won’t be normal for a long time unless we want to sacrifice a lot of humans for our vices.This isn’t going to end with a miracle cure science doesn’t lie.So let’s suck it up enjoy what we have seen and hope to see in the future without the bitching.
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Zod said:
    I guess they could decide to go straight 'Survival of the Fittest' and move forward with an approach to let the weak, old, and sick die...but it would be a surprise.  
    As bad as that sounds, that is how nature was intended to work, and that is how it works best.  And because humans think we're so damn special, eventually we are going to destroy this planet to the point where nobody will survive unless we colonize Mars.  So yes, at least a modified version of 'survival of the fittest' plan needs to go on.  This virus is not indiscriminately killing everyone it touches.  The overwhelming majority are the old, sick, and unfortunately the compromised (with a very small % of seemingly healthy young people).  If this continues into the Summer, Fall, etc. we'll all be in a world of hurt...not just the old and sick.  Yes, sporting events and finally live concerts will be the last thing to come back, but I hope they do sooner (NJ & OHANA) rather than later.  #buyerbeware #attendatyourownrisk #prochoice
    I tend to agree.   I don't think people will put up with social distancing and a cripple economy for a prolonged period of time.   Eventually we would see civil unrest.   I don't think our governments can afford to pay us to stay home for a year or two.   I don't think people can handle staying socially distance for that period of time.   Something will give.  If they can't figure it out.. maybe the course does change and we let the thing rip because we decided it's better than the alternative.
    This is where I’m at.  Sure the extra unemployment is ok and the stimulus, but that isn’t a long term solution. I actually make more when I am allowed to work. When things do open up you are gonna have 20ish million people all competing for the same jobs.  If the decision is made to keep things going for several more months, Where would the money come from to fund these programs especially if even more people are forced out of work?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    edited April 2020
    What’s the alternative? Millions dead or millions unemployed?

The severity of this could have been avoided but our Government shit the bed and now we’re laying in it. It’ll be a long year or two. 

Also, the US is the richest country in the history of the world and they’re giving us much less than other countries. They’re giving us minimum wage for a month. 
    Post edited by ComeToTX on
  • Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,239
    Realistically, the band will have played less than 30 shows in a 5 year span from the end of Summer 2016 to 2021.
    Maybe this will teach them to not take so damn long to record an album. 
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,872
    PB11041 said:
    PJNB said:
    PB11041 said:
    It's April 15th.  The situation just developed in front of our eyes.  In the most immediate sane terms, everything in the near term has to be extremely cautious.  But people trying to fingerprint the when and should of everything is totally arbitrary and designed to illicit awe and can be entirely wrong in their ridiculous effort to be "first" on a hot take.

This is where I sit too. Remember the models that said the US would be at 240,000 deaths even with social distancing by August? I do not fault them at all for giving those numbers out as I think that they were using the best numbers that they had at the time but one week later the new data cut that down to 1/4 of the size. All I am saying with this is it changes everyday/week and to make an assumption on it right now is a guess at best. 

Yes there is a likely hood that we have to wait for a magical vaccine to be produced and for us to be able to to go back to concerts but so many things can change for better or worse in those 12-18 months that they are estimating for us to need to produce one.
    the other truth to the matter is that with a vaccine, the 12-18 month is built on both 'regulations' and expectancy for producers to be able to ramp up production.   Yes there is a part where they have to confirm testing, I am not ignoring or overlooking that, but, the other fact that people miss is that every vaccine is inherently a risk, there is nothing bullet proof.  I have gotten the annual influenza vaccine every year since 2009.  It is a protective measure but it guarantees nothing. I have definitely had the flu at least once in that time frame, probably twice.

The most likely doomsday scenario outcome for a more protracted period is less nothing happening until end of 2022, but rather the 95% shut down of international borders across the world.  In that anything other than goods for consumption and production will not travel internationally for perhaps a year or two.  

Countries, even as vast and wide spread as the US and Canada can do effective contact tracing, mitigation and containment within their own borders, but the airports are what caused this mass spreading.  Total and utter carelessness and fecklessness in screening.  

And before everyone says, ha they failed it this the first time, this was a worldwide failure and a very shitty job by an albiet important organization in the World Health Organization.   And there was no apparatus in place to more effectively attack this anywhere.  That is already being addressed by organizations that are better at planning, like Google and Apple.  They just are better and more invested in getting it right.  

STFU
  • Our govt has been excellent at dealing with this.   Don’t believe the haters.  We acted early and would have even earlier if the truth had come out from China.  It’s nit about blame. This is a terrible situation made by handing the keys to the govt to the scientists.  You don’t hand the keys over to the military when there’s a war, life goes on.  We should never have blown this out of proportion like we have.  Many areas in this huge ass country could still be functioning normally and it didn’t have to come to this.  Mistakes in judgement, fear, and overreaction are the cause, and the effect is massive unemployment and millions without the ability to pay their bills. The loss of homes, businesses and livelihood is simply not worth the amount of deaths. The models were wrong and the fear got us into this mess.  We all agree the concerts were correctly postponed, but we need to see the bigger picture amiss the shitty situation.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    edited April 2020
    Our govt has been excellent at dealing with this.   Don’t believe the haters.  We acted early and would have even earlier if the truth had come out from China.  It’s nit about blame. This is a terrible situation made by handing the keys to the govt to the scientists.  You don’t hand the keys over to the military when there’s a war, life goes on.  We should never have blown this out of proportion like we have.  Many areas in this huge ass country could still be functioning normally and it didn’t have to come to this.  Mistakes in judgement, fear, and overreaction are the cause, and the effect is massive unemployment and millions without the ability to pay their bills. The loss of homes, businesses and livelihood is simply not worth the amount of deaths. The models were wrong and the fear got us into this mess.  We all agree the concerts were correctly postponed, but we need to see the bigger picture amiss the shitty situation.
    Without NY and CA the economy doesn’t run. Which models were wrong?
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,907
    My condolences to the people on this thread (and not on this thread) who have lost friends or loved ones to this virus.  It’s definitely worse than the flu.  I think that’s beyond dispute at this point.

I do think the point is valid though that at some point shows have to return and we can’t Iive in fear forever.  But we can’t be reckless.  It can’t be 15k people gathering and becoming super spreaders of the virus.  Vaccine may well be necessary (one is already in testing) but it’s possible a combination of a treatment and enough people having antibodies could suffice.  The experts will have to determine that.  It’ll become clearer as time passes.

Masks may reduce the risk, but who really wants to go to a show in a mask.

On a lighter note, the post a few posts above about 2032 and still no Houston show is priceless.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • unforgivenunforgiven Posts: 378
    Our govt has been excellent at dealing with this.   Don’t believe the haters.  We acted early and would have even earlier if the truth had come out from China.  It’s nit about blame. This is a terrible situation made by handing the keys to the govt to the scientists.  You don’t hand the keys over to the military when there’s a war, life goes on.  We should never have blown this out of proportion like we have.  Many areas in this huge ass country could still be functioning normally and it didn’t have to come to this.  Mistakes in judgement, fear, and overreaction are the cause, and the effect is massive unemployment and millions without the ability to pay their bills. The loss of homes, businesses and livelihood is simply not worth the amount of deaths. The models were wrong and the fear got us into this mess.  We all agree the concerts were correctly postponed, but we need to see the bigger picture amiss the shitty situation.
    Rubbish, the US as dealt with this as badly as just about any developed country in the world, except for a couple of countries denying. For the supposed world power to have messed this up so badly is of high concern!
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    edited April 2020
    PB11041 said:
    PJNB said:
    PB11041 said:
    It's April 15th.  The situation just developed in front of our eyes.  In the most immediate sane terms, everything in the near term has to be extremely cautious.  But people trying to fingerprint the when and should of everything is totally arbitrary and designed to illicit awe and can be entirely wrong in their ridiculous effort to be "first" on a hot take.

This is where I sit too. Remember the models that said the US would be at 240,000 deaths even with social distancing by August? I do not fault them at all for giving those numbers out as I think that they were using the best numbers that they had at the time but one week later the new data cut that down to 1/4 of the size. All I am saying with this is it changes everyday/week and to make an assumption on it right now is a guess at best. 

Yes there is a likely hood that we have to wait for a magical vaccine to be produced and for us to be able to to go back to concerts but so many things can change for better or worse in those 12-18 months that they are estimating for us to need to produce one.
    the other truth to the matter is that with a vaccine, the 12-18 month is built on both 'regulations' and expectancy for producers to be able to ramp up production.   Yes there is a part where they have to confirm testing, I am not ignoring or overlooking that, but, the other fact that people miss is that every vaccine is inherently a risk, there is nothing bullet proof.  I have gotten the annual influenza vaccine every year since 2009.  It is a protective measure but it guarantees nothing. I have definitely had the flu at least once in that time frame, probably twice.

The most likely doomsday scenario outcome for a more protracted period is less nothing happening until end of 2022, but rather the 95% shut down of international borders across the world.  In that anything other than goods for consumption and production will not travel internationally for perhaps a year or two.  

Countries, even as vast and wide spread as the US and Canada can do effective contact tracing, mitigation and containment within their own borders, but the airports are what caused this mass spreading.  Total and utter carelessness and fecklessness in screening.  

And before everyone says, ha they failed it this the first time, this was a worldwide failure and a very shitty job by an albiet important organization in the World Health Organization.   And there was no apparatus in place to more effectively attack this anywhere.  That is already being addressed by organizations that are better at planning, like Google and Apple.  They just are better and more invested in getting it right.  

STFU

Ryan Stiles Middle Finger GIF - Find  Share on GIPHY
    Post edited by PB11041 on
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Dumpster 🔥!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    kst said:
    My condolences to the people on this thread (and not on this thread) who have lost friends or loved ones to this virus.  It’s definitely worse than the flu.  I think that’s beyond dispute at this point.

I do think the point is valid though that at some point shows have to return and we can’t Iive in fear forever.  But we can’t be reckless.  It can’t be 15k people gathering and becoming super spreaders of the virus.  Vaccine may well be necessary (one is already in testing) but it’s possible a combination of a treatment and enough people having antibodies could suffice.  The experts will have to determine that.  It’ll become clearer as time passes.

Masks may reduce the risk, but who really wants to go to a show in a mask.

On a lighter note, the post a few posts above about 2032 and still no Houston show is priceless.
    There are no less than 85 vaccines in various stages of testing currently.

• Vaccines are at least one year out, likely longer.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Not a rationale take on this.  The models were not necessarily wrong, they are models and it is impossible to say what might have happened had nothing been done in some areas and all logic says things in say New York would be substantially worse. Predicting the unpredictable or attempting to state it was not the right thing to do because it worked in some capacity is hugely disingenuous. 

What can be said is some areas have clearly done better contact tracing and containment, State of Washington comes to mind.

That said years of preplanning for an event like this were failed at all levels of government for going on almost 18 years.  You can't pre plan a vaccine, but you can preplan a safety lockdown.  And this is definitely on area that the WHO and all members countries totally screwed up. Shit should have been shut down in January.  No international travel beyond durable goods, health items and foods.  Mandatory quarantines for anyone participating in such to keep the necessary services crossing international borders.

The near term future is massive testing, contact tracing and quarantine of both the sick and those who are extremely vulnerable.  But that is probably a roll out in May, June, July.  And sadly, unless people and their governments are totally crazy, closed borders for the foreseeable future until you have complete containment and then plausible management.  

• foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    the problem is this virus spreads so easily. in london they thought they could just let it go and get immunity that way but it overwhelmed the hospitals forcing them to shut things down. that is and still is the problem. this is not the flu. i heard one grocery chain is mandating you wear a mask to enter their store. to me this makes sense. even a home made one as there isn't enough masks for hospitals right now. eventually once masks are plentiful it should be the norm until a cure ,medication or a safely tested vaccine is found. don't listen to mr gates as his record with vaccines is not what you might think. he was booted out of india and s africa . caused a lot of problems with trying to help with his vaccines. more harm than good. if everyone wore a mask and gloves it would prevent the spread of this virus quite a bit. until then if they open things up it will just build back up again and we will be right back where we started.  
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,524
    edited April 2020
    foodboy said:
    the problem is this virus spreads so easily. in london they thought they could just let it go and get immunity that way but it overwhelmed the hospitals forcing them to shut things down. that is and still is the problem. this is not the flu. i heard one grocery chain is mandating you wear a mask to enter their store. to me this makes sense. even a home made one as there isn't enough masks for hospitals right now. eventually once masks are plentiful it should be the norm until a cure ,medication or a safely tested vaccine is found. don't listen to mr gates as his record with vaccines is not what you might think. he was booted out of india and s africa . caused a lot of problems with trying to help with his vaccines. more harm than good. if everyone wore a mask and gloves it would prevent the spread of this virus quite a bit. until then if they open things up it will just build back up again and we will be right back where we started.  
    Unfortunately if this thing looks prolonged, they may have no choice but to open things backup.  The effects of a mass economic depression might be even worse than the disease :(  Still crossing my fingers that someone pulls a rabbit out of the hat.   That's a tough call to make.

You can tell Trump at least understands the issue a bit.  If the US (or any country) stays locked down to long, it's going to bankruptcies and unemployed everywhere.   Government bailouts are like scotch tape.. they're only going to hold it together for a bit.   I think that's why he's pushing to re-open things sooner than most people would like.

That's a tough call.  Peoples lives or their livlihoods.... two shitty choices.

It feels like there's two things.  There's the doctors who are very much focused on the human life component.   Then people like Trump who have valid concerns that keeping things shut down is going to cause economic devistation.  There doesn't seem to be any middle ground.  Other than maybe what sweden and the netherlands are doing, which some restrictions, but still fairly open.   Basically letting the thing spread at a medium pace.   Inadvertent attempt at herd immunity.
    Post edited by Zod on

Millions of dead Americans will shut down the economy too.  It's not either/or.
    foodboy said:
    "Foodboy" is definitely smarter than Bill Gates. Listen to him
    Zod said:
    foodboy said:
    Unfortunately if this thing looks prolonged, they may have no choice but to open things backup.  The effects of a mass economic depression might be even worse than the disease :(  Still crossing my fingers that someone pulls a rabbit out of the hat.   That's a tough call to make.

You can tell Trump at least understands the issue a bit.  If the US (or any country) stays locked down to long, it's going to bankruptcies and unemployed everywhere.   Government bailouts are like scotch tape.. they're only going to hold it together for a bit.   I think that's why he's pushing to re-open things sooner than most people would like.

That's a tough call.  Peoples lives or their livlihoods.... two shitty choices.

It feels like there's two things.  There's the doctors who are very much focused on the human life component.   Then people like Trump who have valid concerns that keeping things shut down is going to cause economic devistation.  There doesn't seem to be any middle ground.  Other than maybe what sweden and the netherlands are doing, which some restrictions, but still fairly open.   Basically letting the thing spread at a medium pace.   Inadvertent attempt at herd immunity.
    I think our society has already made that choice -- lives over jobs. Reopening things on a large scale now would largely undo what social distancing has accomplished to this point. Infections would spike, the health system would become overwhelmed, and the body count would skyrocket. I can't see the government or business leaders allowing that to happen. 
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    ComeToTX said:

Millions of dead Americans will shut down the economy too.  It's not either/or.

There is also the reality that some serious money needs to go out to people or have payment forgiveness or something.  22million unemployed and rising, crazy people like in Michigan acting stupid, bills still due, there has to be an or. Otherwise the bottom falls out of the whole house of cards. How long do you think the country can stay shut down before we hit a depression we can’t come back from? I don’t see that there would be a huge amount of bipartisan support for another 4 trillion plus bailout to keep us going if this needs to go on too much longer.  As evidenced by dumb rednecks, the civil unrest is already growing.  I’m not looking to troll here, just looking for your opinion on how we get through if the shut down is to last a couple of months longer or more?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • NEweatherNEweather Posts: 519
    My +1 for going to concerts, is having a hard time, cuz she wants to go to that Def Leppard/ Motley Crue July 2020 date, in SF-and they haven't "postponed" or cancelled yet as far as I know- but have heard the govenor say negatives about those kinds of things-so I don't know what's with that.