Options

Lesser known "alternative" bands you're a fan of?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    Speaking of Aussie bands, I've been getting into some through the J Files archives recently:

Something For Kate
    Spiderbait
    TISM
    Jebediah

All are really great.

My contribution to this thread is: Kerbdog. They are my local heroes here in Ireland.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Options
    redrawredraw Posts: 1,275
    ^^
    Some very cool bands indeed. 
    TISM have some classics...
    SFK have just released a new song and it is awesome!!! 
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    edited May 2020
    They had a damn good album, and I imagine none of you millenials ever even heard of them despite their fame.   CANDLEBOX. Their self  titled was one of the best Seattle era albums that never gets talkes about
  • Options
    joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179
    DIIV - Deceiver
    Mona
    Khruangbin

1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    myoung321 said:
    Skating Polly...    I photographed them opening for X 3 years ago.. I was amazed how good they were live and so damn young!! Both John Doe and Exene came out and watched them side stage and raved about them... 

https://artistwaves.com/interview-skating-polly-new-trick/

Who is Skating Polly?

Skating Polly, originally a duo from the Oklahoma City area, now calling Washington State home. The band began with step-sisters Kelli Mayo and Peyton Bighorse, formed in 2009 after playing together at the girls’ Halloween party. They were 9 and 14 years old at the time.

I just got into them about a year ago. They played a local brew fest with a few other bands from the area and this band and the Black Tones were the two that really stuck out to me, so I've been following them since. I've only seen them live once, but look forward to seeing them again some day. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,937
    Speaking of Aussie bands, I've been getting into some through the J Files archives recently:

Something For Kate
    Spiderbait
    TISM
    Jebediah

All are really great.

My contribution to this thread is: Kerbdog. They are my local heroes here in Ireland.
    About a year or so ago I went to see Spiderbait play their Ivy and the Big Apples album in full at the Corner Hotel in Melbourne. Wow! What a gig! Jebediah still tour fairly regularly, on smaller alt rock festivals like ‘Hotter than Hell’. Spiderbait, Jebediah, SfK, and legends You Am I all played the Day on the Green Festival two years back. That was an awesome day / night! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    superdrag
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    superdrag
    I liked their hit in ‘96.   Defines that summer along with Nada Surf.  
  • Options
    CaroG87CaroG87 Posts: 2
    There's a little punk trio out of St. Joseph Missouri called Radkey that I completely love. Caught them a few years ago at Carolina Rebellion and have been a fan ever since. 
  • Options
    Massara133Massara133 Stettler AB Canada Posts: 430
    edited May 2020
    DREDG

Band from California - In 2003 I was going to see Perfect Circle and I read an article - someone upset that Danny Carey's side project, Pygmy Love Circus, was opening the shows instead of a young up and coming band by the name of Dredg (who had apparently expressed interest in opening the tour) The author said that Dedg's sound was a good fit with Perfect Circle and anyone that was a fan of Radiohead should give Dredg a listen. I decided this was enough to give them a try and I'm very glad I did. El Cielo has become one of my favourite albums of all time. It took some time and a few listens but once it grabbed me it has never let go. It's an album I turn to when I need inspiration and a breath of air, it completely transports me to another place. I also like 2 of Dredg's other albums - Leitmotif and Catch without Arms, but El Cielo is their masterpiece.

Cheers
    Post edited by Massara133 on