Options

Suicide tips hidden in children's YouTube videos alarm parents Social Sharing

Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
Suicide tips hidden in children's YouTube videos alarm parents

Give Peas A Chance…

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,764
    Proof positive that there are some very evil fuckers out there.  They need to be called out and shown for the worthless pieces of shit they truly are. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 904
    brianlux said:
    Proof positive that there are some very evil fuckers out there.  They need to be called out and shown for the worthless pieces of shit they truly are. 
    This sort of stuff should be heavily prosecuted
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I'd say google needs to be held accountable...but they are too worried about making sure they get their 5-second ad on every video...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,913
    this begins with parents for trusting a tech company to babysit their kids. companies whose business models are to make the user the commodity they sell.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Is this really a thing?
  • Options
    KN219077 said:
    brianlux said:
    This sort of stuff should be heavily prosecuted
    No it shouldn't.

Monitor what your kids are watching and consider the source.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,254
    It's a hoax, but still a very fucked up idea nonetheless.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/02/momo-challenge-hoax/583825/
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    It's a hoax, but still a very fucked up idea nonetheless.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/02/momo-challenge-hoax/583825/
    2 different things...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,640
    edited February 2019
    Yeah, this actually did happen. Not a hoax. I totally agree that it is parents' responsibility alone, and not Google's. But if they can find the person actually responsible for doing it, yes, of course they should be charged with.... something, lol. Maybe mischief?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

• Options
    Momo was the hoax. But there was still some content that got spliced into kids programming on youtube kids - that's what I meant is not a hoax.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Momo was the hoax. But there was still some content that got spliced into kids programming on youtube kids - that's what I meant is not a hoax.
    I know.  Was responding to tbergs again, not your post. hoax or not parental fear surrounding momo is very real. But not enough for some parents to not trust google to have their kids interest foremost in mind.

and tbergs didnt appear to me to have read the op article. which quite clearly described a different situation.

times article seemed appropriate to the thread given tbergs reply.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I know.  Was responding to tbergs again, not your post. hoax or not parental fear surrounding momo is very real. But not enough for some parents to not trust google to have their kids interest foremost in mind.

and tbergs didnt appear to me to have read the op article. which quite clearly described a different situation.

Oh I know, I was just posting that generally, in case someone thought I was saying momo wasn't a hoax. ;)
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,082
    Image result for momo steering wheel

This is what I think of when I hear MOMO.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,853
    we got an email from the principal of the kids school, and I looked it up, so we had a conversation with our kids. hoax or not, the conversation it forced us to have with them was worthwhile (we've had it prior to this, obviously, but it reinforced those values). 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,137
    we got an email from the principal of the kids school, and I looked it up, so we had a conversation with our kids. hoax or not, the conversation it forced us to have with them was worthwhile (we've had it prior to this, obviously, but it reinforced those values). 
    We also received an email from my daughter school. I haven’t brought it up yet. She does have access to YouTube and google though.

Each kid is different. We’ve talked a lot of the ills of YouTube, the internet, fake emails, etc. I’m unsure if I should even bring it to her attention or just let the normal conversations help her. Tough call.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    We also received an email from my daughter school. I haven’t brought it up yet. She does have access to YouTube and google though.

Each kid is different. We’ve talked a lot of the ills of YouTube, the internet, fake emails, etc. I’m unsure if I should even bring it to her attention or just let the normal conversations help her. Tough call.
    we just framed it in the general way of "if anyone tells you to do something, whether it's a threat to you, or if they are threatening your loved ones with harm if you don't comply, do not believe them. ever" which they have already learned from us and at school. We didn't show them the image nor did they ask. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited March 2019

I don't see how it could hurt to bring it up, and it also might be useful and be yet another bit of info that makes up the big puzzle that is internet literacy. I would bring it up if I were you.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    it all depends on the age and temperament of the child. it could cause more stress than it's worth. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    it all depends on the age and temperament of the child. it could cause more stress than it's worth. 
    I guess that would depend on how it's presented. I think this is more a lesson in false information and hoaxes being disseminated via the internet than it is kids being targeted on the internet.
  • Options
    well, not really, I'm not going to talk to a 3 year old about the dangers of online misinformation. lol

it can actually be a good lesson in both, again, depending on the child. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    well, not really, I'm not going to talk to a 3 year old about the dangers of online misinformation. lol

Well no, not a 3 year old obviously. You talk to kids about stuff they are actually capable of understanding. He said he's already talked about the ills of the internet and fake emails though, so I'm assuming this kid is a lot older than that.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Well no, not a 3 year old obviously. You talk to kids about stuff they are actually capable of understanding. He said he's already talked about the ills of the internet and fake emails though, so I'm assuming this kid is a lot older than that.
    yes, this was my point. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Thanks for all your input about my kid...what did you all decided I should do? ;)

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,838
    Thanks for all your input about my kid...what did you all decided I should do? ;)

Media fast. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,254
    mickeyrat said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Thanks for sharing. Yeah, my bad on my original post and assuming it was the same as the topic.

My wife and I had been discussing it the night before and she had tied the suicide content with the Momo stuff. I'm not on Facebook so I hadn't seen or heard about any of it. Screen time is pretty much non existent for our kids unless we've picked the content and screened it, but it's hard when we visit family or friends because alot of them just let their kids stream Youtube on tablets, phones, etc. or they have a damn Alexa in their room. It's annoying and my sister is the worst. I get wanting to get some freedom from parenting, but there are so many other activities kids can engage in, but screen time is the default these days. It's really pathetic.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options

not being a parent myself , I dont think I'm. qualified to suggest anything other than do what you feel is best.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    mickeyrat said:

not being a parent myself , I dont think I'm. qualified to suggest anything other than do what you feel is best.
    even AS a parent, I know better than to suggest anything other than that. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

even AS a parent, I know better than to suggest anything other than that. 
    Yeah I’m just messing around. I was gone and came back to y’all trying to decide what I should do. Just thought it was funny. Didn’t think I’d drive so much conversation. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness