Options

Poll--The Weakest Link: Led Zeppelin's 'Led Zeppelin IV' Round 4 (Levee is Champion)

Comments

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Stairway To Heaven
    Always love these final polls... so hard to pick because both are epic songs.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    edited February 2019
    When the Levee Breaks
    PJ_Soul said:
    The people seem to have made the correct decision. :) WTLB is definitely the best song on that album. Screw you Scruffy. =)
    Lol. Don’t hate me because I am right.  ;)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    Stairway To Heaven
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    The people seem to have made the correct decision. :) WTLB is definitely the best song on that album. Screw you Scruffy. =)
    Lol. Don’t hate me because I am right.  ;)

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,426
    edited February 2019
    When the Levee Breaks
    I can't lie to myself. Yes, STH is way overplayed, but when i got this Album around 1977/78 STH was the best song on this Album. Hell, its one of the best songs in Rock history. I can't recall the last time i've heard the whole song, but STH is the best song on IV.  Now, can some admit they are lying to themselves by voting against STH>LOL!!

Really no wrong votes for this album, though, so you really can't go wrong.

Enjoyed this Album choice. 
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Stairway To Heaven
    There's a lady who knows all that glitters is...silver. 

Stairway has won so many number one polls in the media over the years that it is time to let the Levee win the gold. 
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Stairway To Heaven
    Soul Grind!
    Love it 
    ;)
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    When the Levee Breaks
    When we did this for the Pearl Jam albums, I made a playlist of all the songs that won.  I plan on doing that again with this series.  It's like a mixtape of collective minds.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    When the Levee Breaks
    cutz said:
    I can't lie to myself. Yes, STH is way overplayed, but when i got this Album around 1977/78 STH was the best song on this Album. Hell, its one of the best songs in Rock history. I can't recall the last time i've heard the whole song, but STH is the best song on IV.  Now, can some admit they are lying to themselves by voting against STH>LOL!!

Well said. There's a good, goddamned reason StH was overplayed. That's because it is one of the most iconic rock songs of all time. I know it is hip to pan songs that were "overplayed", but just because radio decided to play a song doesn't negate it's greatness. It is an issue completely tangential to the question in the poll, which is about a song's "weakness". Overplay has nothing to do with weakness or strength, only popularity. Levee is great, and I can't argue against any song on this album, as I think it is one of the most perfect albums. But to disregard StH because of "overplay" is nonsensical if we're considering a song's weakness. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Stairway To Heaven

When we did this for the Pearl Jam albums, I made a playlist of all the songs that won.  I plan on doing that again with this series.  It's like a mixtape of collective minds.
    Good idea! Post it to Spotify please. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Stairway To Heaven
    jeffbr said:
    cutz said:

Well said. There's a good, goddamned reason StH was overplayed. That's because it is one of the most iconic rock songs of all time. I know it is hip to pan songs that were "overplayed", but just because radio decided to play a song doesn't negate it's greatness. It is an issue completely tangential to the question in the poll, which is about a song's "weakness". Overplay has nothing to do with weakness or strength, only popularity. Levee is great, and I can't argue against any song on this album, as I think it is one of the most perfect albums. But to disregard StH because of "overplay" is nonsensical if we're considering a song's weakness. 
    It's a fantastic song. I don't really want to listen to it anymore (not to be hip, lol, nor because I don't think it's a masterpiece, but because it really did just come to bore me a little bit because of the ridiculous number of times in my life I've heard it), but that doesn't make it any less fantastic. But sorry, aren't our "weakest links" the ones we don't want to listen to? Or are we supposed to be making choices based on, like, a "professional" view of the songs, without bringing what we actually want to listen to least into it? If so, then yeah, STH should win this album.... But I didn't think that was what we were doing!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    When the Levee Breaks
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:
    cutz said:

It's a fantastic song. I don't really want to listen to it anymore (not to be hip, lol, nor because I don't think it's a masterpiece, but because it really did just come to bore me a little bit because of the ridiculous number of times in my life I've heard it), but that doesn't make it any less fantastic. But sorry, aren't our "weakest links" the ones we don't want to listen to? Or are we supposed to be making choices based on, like, a "professional" view of the songs, without bringing what we actually want to listen to least into it? If so, then yeah, STH should win this album.... But I didn't think that was what we were doing!
    Great question. The only guideline is to pick the "weakest link". I think overplay is a lazy way to determine that, and would logically result in the least played song winning. In many cases the least played song on an album is the least played for a reason. But if overplayed means you can no longer listen to it, I guess that could lead it to be considered weakest. It just strikes me as a strange way to think about a song being weak. But for this poll, weakness isn't defined, so to each their own! I bought this album in 1976/77 and have loved every track since then, overplayed or not, so this was a tough one! 
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Stairway To Heaven
    jeffbr said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:
    cutz said:

Great question. The only guideline is to pick the "weakest link". I think overplay is a lazy way to determine that, and would logically result in the least played song winning. In many cases the least played song on an album is the least played for a reason. But if overplayed means you can no longer listen to it, I guess that could lead it to be considered weakest. It just strikes me as a strange way to think about a song being weak. But for this poll, weakness isn't defined, so to each their own! I bought this album in 1976/77 and have loved every track since then, overplayed or not, so this was a tough one! 
    I don't think your logic works TBH. :lol: Being overplayed isn't on a sliding scale. ;)
  • Options
    When the Levee Breaks
    Can you inbox my the winners from each album when you get a chance?  Thanks bud. @HesCalledDyer
  • Options
    When the Levee Breaks
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:
    cutz said:

I don't think your logic works TBH. :lol: Being overplayed isn't on a sliding scale. ;)
    Hmmm, is it binary then? At what point is that switch thrown? :confused::lol:
  • Options
    When the Levee Breaks
    What song in the pj catalog would you guys equate levee too?  Not musically but quality and how much the fans love it.  Obviously not one of their popular ones...maybe  present tense?  
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Stairway To Heaven
    PJ_Soul said:

Ooh! Twice in one day!

https://youtu.be/59Hj7bp38f8
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,840
    When the Levee Breaks
    Had to go w/ Stairway simply b/c it's an original (some may debate that :wink:) and Levee is an outstanding cover.
    #goingtocaliforniafortheWIN
  • Options
    Stairway To Heaven
    mcgruff10 said:
    What song in the pj catalog would you guys equate levee too?  Not musically but quality and how much the fans love it.  Obviously not one of their popular ones...maybe  present tense?  
    Red Mosquito
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    Stairway To Heaven
    @MedozK I voted, obviously ^^ , but I'm not showing up in the thumbnail pic list or vote count. 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    When the Levee Breaks
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Ooh! Twice in one day!

https://youtu.be/59Hj7bp38f8
    You missed one.  Slacker.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Stairway To Heaven
    FYI, A Prefect Circle covered WTLB (kinda). It sucks hard, lol. Just awful.

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Stairway To Heaven
    njnancy said:
    @MedozK I voted, obviously ^^ , but I'm not showing up in the thumbnail pic list or vote count. 
    Hmm, not sure. It does recognize your vote though.
  • Options
    Stairway To Heaven
    MedozK said:
    njnancy said:
    Hmm, not sure. It does recognize your vote though.
    Hmm..maybe it's telling me to go back to my profile pic of NYC. :confused:
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Stairway To Heaven
    I think it can only display 20 thumbnails. I don’t see @rummy or @PJ_Soul thumbnails among the more astute voters either. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,716
    Stairway To Heaven
    mcgruff10 said:
    Interesting and excellent question, McG!  For me it would be Rearviewmirror.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Stairway To Heaven
    mcgruff10 said:
    You Are .  ;)
  • Options
    Stairway To Heaven
    dankind said:
    I think it can only display 20 thumbnails. I don’t see @rummy or @PJ_Soul thumbnails among the more astute voters either. 
    Astute observation.
  • Options
    Stairway To Heaven
    mcgruff10 said:
    No right answer for this either but I keep thinking Garden. An amazing song on an album of amazing songs that isn't overlooked but is not as familiar to someone who isn't into Pearl Jam. 
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    edited February 2019
    Stairway To Heaven
    njnancy said:
    dankind said:
    Astute observation.
    I'm pretty sure that the individuals with the lower 10c numbers get put in the "displayed 20." 
    Mine's pretty high.
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    Stairway To Heaven
    mcgruff10 said:
    Garden and Immortality come to mind. 
This discussion has been closed.