Pearl Jam's Mike McCready records song for dying fan - OpieRadio / CraigGassComedy

demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,533
edited December 2016 in The Porch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlo9Cl_p74A

Craig Gass shares a story about Mike McCready recording a song for a dying fan.

Comments

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    This planet needs a lot more Mike McCready's

Love that guy
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    Todd Glass's brother?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • a5pja5pj Posts: 3,882
    wow
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,533
    http://www.guitarplayer.com/artist-videos/1436/pearl-jams-mike-mccready-writes-music-for-a-dying-fan/61128#.WFUKXNMHr-E.twitter

The Incredible Story of How Pearl Jam’s Mike McCready Wrote Music for a Dying Fan

Comedian Craig Gass recently shared an emotional story of Pearl Jam guitarist Mike McCready while he was on SiriusXM’s Opie Radio.

As Gass tells the show in the video below, McCready did a favor for him on behalf of a dying Pearl Jam fan by recording music for the man to listen to in his final moments.

“Mike is a really selfless guy,” Gass says. “He did something for me that was really, really profound.”

Gass is a Seahawks fan and says that while he was at a Seahawks bar in Las Vegas, a woman named Rene came up and introduced herself:

“This woman came up and said, ‘Hey, my husband is your biggest fan, and he’s too shy to say hello to you.’ I said, ‘Well where's he at? I want to hang out with him!’

“So I went over to sit down with him. And he’s this really nice a guy. He’s a special ed teacher who lives in Vegas. He’s really overweight, he’s got a shit ton of health problems that has caused him to be swimming in debt. He was actually in a coma.

“And they started telling me this amazing story. His wife goes, ‘I would go visit him when he was in a coma, and I would play his favorite band on a boom box. He actually had a physical reaction when I played his favorite band on one of the mornings I came to visit him. He actually had tears coming out of his eyes in a coma.’

“I said, ‘Who is your favorite band?’ He goes, ‘Pearl Jam.’”

As it happens, Gass is good friends with McCready—something Bob knew because he followed Gass’s Facebook page.

Shortly afterward, Gass and Bob became walking buddies. About a year later, Gass met up with McCready and told him about his fan.

“I go, ‘I talk to this guy every day, and we go for a walk. This guy is such a fan of your band that he actually had a physical reaction in a coma.

“I would normally never ask for you to do this, but the next time you guys play in Vegas, is it okay if I send him to the show to meet you?’ He goes, ‘Yeah.’ Then he made a joke: ‘Maybe the band will take him for a walk around the building.’ I was going to surprise Bob with that.”

Unfortunately, this past September, Bob’s condition turned. Rene called Gass to say Bob was told he had 48 hours to live.

“So I get in my car, I start driving straight to Vegas to be with Bob, and I started texting Mike,” Gass says. “‘Mike, I don’t know if you remember, but you said that you would meet a friend of mine, my walking buddy who is a special ed teacher. He’s not going to get the chance because I just got a call that he’s got 48 hours to live. I’m actually in a car driving to Vegas to go be with him, but I would like you to know what he would have said to you, because he talked about you all the time, and he didn’t know he was going to get the chance to meet you someday.’’

“So I started writing a fan letter to my buddy, via the conversations I had with Bob, and Mike writes me back and says, ‘What’s his name?’ I said, ‘It’s Bob Miles.’ After about 20 minutes, he started sending me videos of him playing guitar.

“He wrote music for Bob.”

In the first recording, McCready delivered a personal message to his fan: “Hey Bob, this is Mike McCready. I got a message from my dear friend Craig Gass, and I want to send you something I’m writing for you right now. Hopefully this helps you in your journey.”

“The last thing [Bob] saw was his favorite guitarist of his favorite band playing music for him,” Gass says. “That’s the last thing Bob saw before he went under, and that’s the kind of person that Mike McCready is—an incredibly selfless person.”

• SarahSarah Posts: 736
    my2hands said:

This planet needs a lot more Mike McCready's

QFT.
    "Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
  • OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    Such a beautiful story, thank you for sharing this!
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    pretty awesome
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • bosshogg18bosshogg18 Posts: 1,094
    Way to go Mike. Always a class act.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,403
    freaking awesome. mike has always been a class act.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • VedHeadVedHead Posts: 407
    Unfucking the world, one act at a time.
    I'm trying to think of a really good signature.
  • That's a great story. I wonder what it feels like to have such a profound effect on peoples life's?
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Amazing but not surprising cuz its Mike. Such a cool human being
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524

That's a great story. I wonder what it feels like to have such a profound effect on peoples life's?

I think a lot of people DO affect others, quite deeply (and not in that way). For me, I've been on the receiving end, and those who gave me that likely have no idea. Still thankful :)

Would you rather be the affector or the affectee?