Options

Pearl Jam Art Of Do The Evolution Hardcover . 25th Anniversary of Music Video

Comments

• Options
    I still love watching it 23 years later. I guess I'm hooked for life! Long live Pearl Jam. 
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,738
    Happy Monday everyone. As any of our fellow citizens seem to be devolving right in front of us, it's always importent to keep on and keep evolving.

• Options
    It's Friday and the long weekend is upon us. Get out and enjoy it, but stay save. There's a killer on the road.

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,313
    edited November 2021
    Black Friday deal
    http://amzn.to/2mGsxy1
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Black Friday deal
    http://amzn.to/2mGsxy1

Sweet deal. $27.10 US.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    Awesome! Thanks for the heads up!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/158982971331463/permalink/1288446768385072/

Happy Friday all. Here comes the weekend. Have a blast, but stay safe.

• Options

Another highligt of my trip to LA was to meet Joe Pearson.. The creator of the Pearl Jam movie in collaboration with Todd McFarlane, the creator of Spawn.. He gave me two signed copies of his artbook with two drawings made on the spot and a couple of original film pieces. Worth to mention that Joe is the main creator of all characters and graphics of the Crash Bandicoot game... What a great man and what a talent, he shared some of his work experiences and his advice was "People will rip you off, you just have to keep going"!
    You can find his book on Amazon, totally worth it guys!
    Look for the title:
    Pearl Jam: Art of Do The Evolution
    #pearljam
    #artbook #joepearson #music #drawing #book #art #design

• Options
    I manage a brewery and randomly cover a shift tonight. A gentleman stopped in and was looking for “to go beers”. He asked me if we had a specific seasonal beer left, I grab it and come back he said “This is for you” and I open the beer wrapped in bubble wrap! He said remembered out PJ conversation and also had one more thing for me. Per our conversation my favorite PJ video and as a huge fan of artist Todd McFarlane he gave me this strip from the animation studio of Do the evolution video. I was humbled by his kindness and bought his beer! Love the PJ community! Thank you Sir. See less

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,223
    ^ Whoa! :sunglasses:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    The Brandon Peters Show - "Do The Evolution" by Pearl Jam with Jonathan Graves

https://youtu.be/3j9xu2Btx80

Jonathan Graves returns to discuss the music video for "Do The Evolution" by Pearl Jam. The Brandon Peters Show is available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher and anywhere podcasts are found. 
  • Options
      ·
    It's Monday, baby!

• Options
    Pearl Jam — Do The Evolution [AI Upscaled]

"I don't own the video, but I've decided to do everything I can to restore it, since the official version is only about 240p."

• Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,847
    demetrios said:
    I manage a brewery and randomly cover a shift tonight. A gentleman stopped in and was looking for “to go beers”. He asked me if we had a specific seasonal beer left, I grab it and come back he said “This is for you” and I open the beer wrapped in bubble wrap! He said remembered out PJ conversation and also had one more thing for me. Per our conversation my favorite PJ video and as a huge fan of artist Todd McFarlane he gave me this strip from the animation studio of Do the evolution video. I was humbled by his kindness and bought his beer! Love the PJ community! Thank you Sir.
    See less

That's awesome!!!
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    bigbiggzybigbiggzy Posts: 713
    Sweeeeet
  • Options
    https://screenrant.com/todd-mcfarlane-pearl-jam-25th-anniversary-music-video/

Todd McFarlane may be an iconic comic book creator who brought the world Spawn, but he's also left his mark as a music video director. One of his most enduring collaborations on that front is Pearl Jam's "Do the Evolution" video, which he co-directed with Kevin Altieri (Batman: The Animated Series). The animated musical spectacle breaks open time and space for three-and-a-half minutes and saw McFarlane work closely on editing with Eddie Vedder. Now, on the 25th anniversary of the release, the band and writer have joined forces to share more of it with the world.

While at San Diego Comic-Con this year, McFarlane stopped by Screen Rant's media suite and exclusively announced that Pearl Jam would be releasing behind-the-scenes art from "Do the Evolution," as well as a remastered music video. Given that the song is arguably one of the band's greatest artistic achievements, and McFarlane's video captures its essence so well, fans are sure to cherish any additional insight into the creative process. Pearl Jam recently shared a previously unreleased video of them performing the song during their Give Way performance in Melbourne, proving that the celebrations really are year-round.

• Options

Todd McFarlane on SDCC 2023, the State of the Comics Industry, and His Wild Eddie Vedder Story

By the way, I am a huge Pearl Jam fan. I wouldn't know what that's like.

MCFARLANE: Right, but it's just like “Todd? Eddie Vedder." I'm like, “Huh?” “From Pearl Jam.” “Oh, hi, Eddie. Okay, Eddie. Good talking to you, too.” Anyway, what was happening is that they wanted, at that time, the record label was bugging them to do another music video. They were resistant because that's just who they are, right? This is awesome. They’re a group that doesn't want to be on camera. Like, "No, we gotta do a music video. We don't want to be in our music video.” That was their whole goal. And he said, “Hey, I've been watching the HBO animated show. We now know how we can do this. We'll just animate it. I got a song called “Do the Evolution.” It's about all time, space, and dimension. We need to do all that in 3 minutes. Are you up for the task?" So I'm going, "Time, space and dimension? So from the beginning to the end of time, 3 minutes? Let's do it! Seems like we can pull this off."

The thing that blew my mind out of that initial sort of getting set up [is] he said, "I'm going to send you something that just sort of gives you my vibe." I'm like, "Yeah, okay, cool," and I thought he was going to send me his soundtrack, or he’s going to send me something, or a sample. What he did was, the very next day, I get this thing in the mail, and it's a VHS of my Spawn HBO show, edited to his song, “Do the Evolution.” So, I could see sort of the tempo, and I wish I had it because it was super cool. I was just like, “That's wicked. Oh, hey, Eddie. Who did that?” “I did it Todd.” “No, no, no. But who edited this?” “I did that.” “You edited that?” “Yeah." "You have an editing machine at home?” “Yes, I do. I have an AVID.” "Okay, so rock and rollers get famous so they can get money, so they can buy editing machines. I guess I thought you guys did different stuff with your cash." [Laughs] He was really into the process so that even at the end when we actually did the video, at the end he was like, “Hey, Todd, we're off tour. Is it okay if I come into the editing with you guys and help you edit it?” “It’s your video, you can do whatever you want.

The answer is yes.

MCFARLANE: He's really good, and he's smart. He's a lot of things, right? Even to the bitter end. If you watch that video—you don't hear it all the time because they cut it—but the last sound you hear is crickets, right? It's basically lights out. It's over. But he put the crickets. He’s like, “I wonder if we put the crickets sounds,” and just out of the blue, we fade to black, there's nothing. But then we put it in, and we went, "Okay, if everything's dead, theoretically, so would be the crickets." But it just sounded so cool that it was like everything's still at night, and that's all you hear. So we kept it in. He was doing that throughout the whole video. So there's touches of him throughout that.

The silly, funny story, real quickly, on that one was, every day he came into the editing bay, he was bringing a briefcase. Didn't seem like what rock and rollers did. And then he'd leave, and I'd go, “You got another meeting now?” “No, I'm going home.” The next day he'd come with a briefcase, put it down, and I'd go, “Hey, you going to another meeting?” "No, going home.” And he never opened up the briefcase. On the third, fourth day of editing, because we're getting near the end, I curiously said, “Hey, Eddie, don't mind me asking. I'm not prying, but why do you bring that briefcase every day if you're just going home?” And he goes, “Oh my gosh, Todd, I didn't think you were going to ever ask.” I still, to this day, go, “Well, what if I didn't?” He walked over, and he opens it up, and there's two brand-new baseball gloves—because he's a baseball freak—and a baseball. And he goes, “You want to play catch this afternoon?” I go, “What?” He goes, “Because I heard you went to college playing baseball.” "Yes, I played, back then, baseball." He goes, “I know, I hear you’re good.” He's a baseball freak. “You want to play catch?” I’ll play catch with Eddie Vedder! Super cool.

There happened to be an [unseasonable] heatwave that day. It was about 107 in Southern California. Eddie, classic, dressed in black boots, black pants, black shirt, black leather jacket, and he’s smoking as he's playing catch. I’m telling you. And of course, you know how macho men are, it's getting hotter and hotter—I'm from Phoenix, I'm like a cockroach—I'm not giving in to Eddie.

It's getting hot, but I'm like, “Fuck you, Eddie, I got this.” And then he’s like, “Oh, yeah?" Then I could see, I go, “I think he's going to pass out,” but he would not have given up. And I went, "Eddie, you want to take a break?” “If you do.” I knew the answer [was] I'd better give in. “No, I'm a bit hot," and he's like, “Yeah, okay, fine. Me too.” If I had just been a little more macho, there was a possibility I could have killed Eddie Vedder that day or at least given him a heatstroke. But anyway, I don't know if he would have ever opened up the briefcase that day if I hadn't asked.

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,760
    Awesome! I played catch with EV too. F..king sweet moment in time.
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    Awesome! I played catch with EV too. F..king sweet moment in time.

Nice!
  • Options
    This Friday!

A newly up-rezzed high-definition version of Pearl Jam’s “Do The Evolution” video will premiere on the band’s YouTube/VEVO channel on August 4. The premiere is a few weeks before the 25th anniversary of its original release, August 24, 1998. “Do The Evolution” is a track from the band’s Yield album.

• Options
  • Options
    So that art isnt in the book?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"