Options

Obama just made the gop's heads explode...

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,357
    a5pj said:

Things that make republican heads spin....

A young black president
    Legal same sex marriage
    Legal Marijuana
    Legal abortion
    Getting out of wars and slowing down the military industrial complex
    More brown, yellow, black, etc Americans
    Electric cars
    Solar and wind powered energy

don't forget:
    guns hurt people and cause deaths
    women having rights to their own bodies
    providing good free education for everyone
    making companies insure their workers
    saying global warming is real
    food for poor working people
    and that corporations don't deserve more rights than people

anyone want to add more
    =D> =D>
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,974

Interesting timing for a bomb like this....right before the Ferguson verdict?

The President of the United States is not running interference for the Ferguson, MO police department.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,974
    Nothing he said last night seemed outrageous to me. I question whether it needed to be done now at this moment, but I do agree that Congress was not going to take any action at all (at least not the House.) Like with healthcare, I give Obama credit for trying to do something to improve the status quo even thought the solution may not be perfect and is far from ideal.

I am on record as saying I believe impeachment will happen and I think we are closer to that today than we were the day after the election. Conviction is another story. We should never underestimate how crazy the crazy wing of the GOP is but would even they go that far? Particularly when, despite all the whispers of impeachment, there remains nothing to seriously charge Obama with?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697

the republicans would never ever do anything on this issue.

why?

because immigrants see through the republicans bullshit. republicans hate immigrants and view them as leeches on society, who come here and steal the jobs of real 'mericans... they steal the jobs that every real 'merican wants to do. you know, like yard work, cleaning hotel rooms, cleaning toilets at a mall, bussing tables and washing dishes in a restaurant, you know. all of those great jobs with great wages and benefits...

. why on earth would the gop ever do anything to help them? especially with the gop being so unpopular with immigrants.

Damn Rod,
    "Republicans hate Immigrants" so 50% of the country is anti immigrant? Not fair.Painting with a broad brushAs a southerner and someone who is not a big fan of this admin that's crazy.We deal with immigration all the time.And some of the most innovative ideas I have heard over the years have come from GOP politicians in border states or in areas of heavy agriculture.Not all independents and republicans and libertarians are hate mongers and religious right zealots.I know I vote right a lot (not all)and I am pretty socially liberal and fiscally conservative and pro buisness but level headed with the big issues that affect us all.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    a5pj said:

Things that make republican heads spin....

A young black president
    Legal same sex marriage
    Legal Marijuana
    Legal abortion
    Getting out of wars and slowing down the military industrial complex
    More brown, yellow, black, etc Americans
    Electric cars
    Solar and wind powered energy

don't forget:
    guns hurt people and cause deaths
    women having rights to their own bodies
    providing good free education for everyone
    making companies insure their workers
    saying global warming is real
    food for poor working people
    and that corporations don't deserve more rights than people

anyone want to add more
    If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    edited November 2014
    Fuck Congress...
    at least he is standing up for what he believes.
    that is more than I can say for most of the spineless cowards in the U.S. House or Senate
    Post edited by lolobugg on

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

muskydan said:

Oh Boy…I smell IMPEACHMENT.. Now that would be the cherry on top for the biggest fraud ever in politics. Of course he was brought to you by the community activist capital of the world…Shitcago

Yeah that's going to happen. Although I'm fine with President Biden if it does.

I bet half the tea baggers think if Obama is impeached then Ted Cruz becomes President
    >:) >:) >:)
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    JimmyV said:

Interesting timing for a bomb like this....right before the Ferguson verdict?

The President of the United States is not running interference for the Ferguson, MO police department.

The Ferguson police won't be the only people affected by the verdict, right? Obama has made statements and public appeals regarding the situation there, right?
    Meh, what do I know? Just found the timing interesting.
    Glad someone on the board knows the prez's political agenda....thanks for clearing that up.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    lolobugg said:

Fuck Congress...
    at least he is standing up for what he believes.
    that is more than I can say for most of the spineless cowards in the U.S. House or Senate

AMEN logan!
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,141
    I'm happy he took action. We've been talking about this for ages and Congress has failed the citizens of this country for years. I may not agree 100% with Obama's plan, but it is reasonable and finally someone did something. Ironically enough I would have bet if W had done this, the plan would be very similar and the outrage would be coming from the Dems.

Can't wait for idiots to do real work, so get it done yourself.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rr165892 said:

why?

because immigrants see through the republicans bullshit. republicans hate immigrants and view them as leeches on society, who come here and steal the jobs of real 'mericans... they steal the jobs that every real 'merican wants to do. you know, like yard work, cleaning hotel rooms, cleaning toilets at a mall, bussing tables and washing dishes in a restaurant, you know. all of those great jobs with great wages and benefits...

. why on earth would the gop ever do anything to help them? especially with the gop being so unpopular with immigrants.

Damn Rod,
    "Republicans hate Immigrants" so 50% of the country is anti immigrant? Not fair.Painting with a broad brushAs a southerner and someone who is not a big fan of this admin that's crazy.We deal with immigration all the time.And some of the most innovative ideas I have heard over the years have come from GOP politicians in border states or in areas of heavy agriculture.Not all independents and republicans and libertarians are hate mongers and religious right zealots.I know I vote right a lot (not all)and I am pretty socially liberal and fiscally conservative and pro buisness but level headed with the big issues that affect us all.
    It is true that GOPers in border states SOMETIMES have good ideas on immigration. Jan Brewer...not so great, but GW himself was practically a lefty in regards to immigration issues...it has to be remembered though that he riled the establishments feathers with progressive ideas. Is everyone conservative a neandertal? No lol but the institution of conservatism is loosely based on the caveman ideaology ;)
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,048
    edited November 2014
    rr165892 said:

why?

Damn Rod,
    Except 50% of the country ISNT Republican. Try closer to 20, 25%

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/09/25/the-gops-millennial-problem-runs-deep/
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,190
    rr165892 said:

why?

Damn Rod,
    i make that assumption based on voting records of said southern republicans, and based on the gop party platform, based on the media arm of the party- fox news, and based on people in leadership like mcconnell, boehner, and the tea party wing of the party.

to say that southern republicans have been innovative on any issue is a stretch. their playbook is to fall down on the ground, scream NOOOOO, then hold their breath until the big bad man obama says he is not going to force the issue.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    mickeyrat said:

rr165892 said:

why?

Damn Rod,

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/09/25/the-gops-millennial-problem-runs-deep/
    True, neither party has a majority, and the independents get to be the deciders. I think RR's point stands, that about 1/2 the country identifies with or leans toward GOP (http://www.gallup.com/poll/15370/party-affiliation.aspx). It is tough to deny in practical terms with the balance shift in the Senate. If only 20% of the country is or identifies with or leans GOP, we wouldn't see both houses of congress controlled by the GOP. I don't identify with either party, and vote strictly for the person or the issue. I voted more Dem than Rep this year, but have done the opposite other elections. I find shills for either party here to be silly and naive. Like arguing about which religion is the one true way (when clearly none of them are).

This also raises an observation that was briefly mentioned earlier in the thread but didn't get any traction. If "we the people" wanted action from Washington, D.C., and wanted Obama's immigration policy ideas to be enacted, why didn't "we the people" elect representatives to make it happen? It seems like "we the people" (and I'm not referencing me!) intentionally shifted the balance to create/enhance the obstruction and gridlock. It seems like the people countermanded the President's agenda to me.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    rgambs said:

It is true that GOPers in border states SOMETIMES have good ideas on immigration.

Ha, it is also true that some GOPers in border states sometimes don't have good ideas on immigration, or even understand geography: http://dailycurrant.com/2014/11/20/sarah-palin-send-immigrants-back-across-ocean-to-mexico/

• Options
    liberal policies won at the ballot box this year. but the people who oppose those issues got elected. so essentially we voted in people who will do exactly the opposite of where the people stand on the issues. well done, american voters, well done...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,593
    imalive said:

a5pj said:

Just look at Obama and Hilary. 8 years ago they were against gay marriage, but now that public opinion is on the side of gay marriage they are for it.

Pretty sure that I've never seen Obama being against gay marriage...
    Don't let the facts get in the way of a good argument.

Good going, Obama =D>
    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/may/11/barack-obama/president-barack-obamas-shift-gay-marriage/

Why was it such a big deal then when Biden threw the White House in a tailspin with his comment supporting gay marriage a few years ago, if that was Obama's known position all along?

Facts??? Global warming....now climate change....soon to be called Carbon Induced Global Cooling....Liberal facts are constantly changing.
  • Options

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,593
    edited November 2014

liberal policies won at the ballot box this year. but the people who oppose those issues got elected. so essentially we voted in people who will do exactly the opposite of where the people stand on the issues. well done, american voters, well done...

I see your point and the lists of things that makes Republicans heads spin. I wonder what really drives voting for Dems vs. Reps. For example, do conservatives value social issues over fiscal/defence issues? For example, is someone who is indifferent to gay marraige and marijuana going to vote yes for those issues but vote Republican because they think the economy and security are more important and don't think Obama and the democrats are doing a good job?

I personally don't care if gays can get married, but that doesn't mean I'm going to vote for a Democrat because that isn't my #1 issue to vote on.

I think the Republicans need to be a little more libertarian on social issues, and focus on fiscal responsibility, infrastructure and defense. It is like when the pressure changes on an airplane. The adult puts on the mask first and then helps the child with their mask. The country cannot help people in the long-term if it isn't fiscally sound over the long-term.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

mickeyrat said:

rr165892 said:

why?

Damn Rod,

True, neither party has a majority, and the independents get to be the deciders. I think RR's point stands, that about 1/2 the country identifies with or leans toward GOP (http://www.gallup.com/poll/15370/party-affiliation.aspx). It is tough to deny in practical terms with the balance shift in the Senate. If only 20% of the country is or identifies with or leans GOP, we wouldn't see both houses of congress controlled by the GOP. I don't identify with either party, and vote strictly for the person or the issue. I voted more Dem than Rep this year, but have done the opposite other elections. I find shills for either party here to be silly and naive. Like arguing about which religion is the one true way (when clearly none of them are).

This also raises an observation that was briefly mentioned earlier in the thread but didn't get any traction. If "we the people" wanted action from Washington, D.C., and wanted Obama's immigration policy ideas to be enacted, why didn't "we the people" elect representatives to make it happen? It seems like "we the people" (and I'm not referencing me!) intentionally shifted the balance to create/enhance the obstruction and gridlock. It seems like the people countermanded the President's agenda to me.
    part of this is this bullshit notion that with 38% of the voting electorate actually voting this cycle gives GOP some kind of mandate. During the 2012 election , part of the debate was immigration and the needed LONG overdue reform. The pres was elected with over 50% of the votes cast. HE has the mandate.

Other than that I think the nonvoting electorate this cycle gave GOP the Senate in order to restore some semblance of regular order. They pass shit , he either vetos or signs into law.

Both sides need to put up or shut up.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124

I pray that everyone that was involved with that commercial received a nice Xmas bonus.

And I pray that the ad agency for UPS "What can Brown do for you" are getting flogged in a North Korean prison camp.

:o3
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

jeffbr said:

mickeyrat said:

rr165892 said:

why?

Damn Rod,

part of this is this bullshit notion that with 38% of the voting electorate actually voting this cycle gives GOP some kind of mandate. During the 2012 election , part of the debate was immigration and the needed LONG overdue reform. The pres was elected with over 50% of the votes cast. HE has the mandate.

Other than that I think the nonvoting electorate this cycle gave GOP the Senate in order to restore some semblance of regular order. They pass shit , he either vetos or signs into law.

I hope you didn't take from my post that I see any sort of GOP mandate from this election cycle. I am always baffled by voters' apparent schizophrenia. Obama may have had a mandate in 2012, but there has been plenty of dissatisfaction with his performance, and right now I don't think there is any sort of mandate on either side. And this shit should have been taken care of by the dems when Obama was first elected, and his party had control of both houses of Congress. That was the time for all of the Hope and Change we were led to believe was imminent. Instead it has been six years of dick swinging and tantrums and tail-chasing by both sides.
    And I agree with your last sentence for sure.
  • Options

I see your point and the lists of things that makes Republicans heads spin. I wonder what really drives voting for Dems vs. Reps. For example, do conservatives value social issues over fiscal/defence issues? For example, is someone who is indifferent to gay marraige and marijuana going to vote yes for those issues but vote Republican because they think the economy and security are more important and don't think Obama and the democrats are doing a good job?

I personally don't care if gays can get married, but that doesn't mean I'm going to vote for a Democrat because that isn't my #1 issue to vote on.

I think the Republicans need to be a little more libertarian on social issues, and focus on fiscal responsibility, infrastructure and defense. It is like when the pressure changes on an airplane. The adult puts on the mask first and then helps the child with their mask. The country cannot help people in the long-term if it isn't fiscally sound over the long-term.
    You bring up some good points and I'm kinda the guy you talk about here.Im an independent who like Jeff said votes both side of the isle depending on issues and quality of the individual candidate
    .I could care less who someone marries or sleeps with,I'm pro pot legalization I'm also for immigration reform,I'm pro choice and subscribe to a live and let live way of thinking.But I also think gun ownership is great,I can't stand Obama care although some of the ideas are needed and I hate wasted govt money, over taxation and endless entitlements.I do like trickle down economics and a very strong but smart defense policy.I really think we need reform of big Pharma but I'm very,very pro buisness.Id like to see it easier for people who work hard to achieve success and more difficult for those who milk the system to get free money.

I think there is a big middle ground of voters like me or close anyway.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    rr165892 said:

You bring up some good points and I'm kinda the guy you talk about here.Im an independent who like Jeff said votes both side of the isle depending on issues and quality of the individual candidate
    .I could care less who someone marries or sleeps with,I'm pro pot legalization I'm also for immigration reform,I'm pro choice and subscribe to a live and let live way of thinking.But I also think gun ownership is great,I can't stand Obama care although some of the ideas are needed and I hate wasted govt money, over taxation and endless entitlements.I do like trickle down economics and a very strong but smart defense policy.I really think we need reform of big Pharma but I'm very,very pro buisness.Id like to see it easier for people who work hard to achieve success and more difficult for those who milk the system to get free money.

In which way would you reform big pharma that would not conflict with your "pro business" ideology? Are they not acting as businesses should - i.e., making money for their shareholders?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,761
    I was disappointed. I think they should be eligible for citizenship.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options

rr165892 said:

In which way would you reform big pharma that would not conflict with your "pro business" ideology? Are they not acting as businesses should - i.e., making money for their shareholders?
    I wish I had all those answers.Im still working thru it.I do know that when a pill costs 2dollars in Canada and 27 dollars in the states something is wrong.Yes I'm pro buisness.But Certain industries and their interconnectivity with the govt(FDA) muddy the waters.
    Example.You start a legit supplement company that has a pill that helps regulate blood sugar or has cholesterol lowering(LDL ) by product.No "proprietary "ingredients just herbs and other beneficial vitamins and minerals.But it works.You can bottle and produce this wonder supplement and try to get it into stores,on line ,etc so the gen public has availability.Your a small buisness and I want to see you succeed.I want you to have the easiest path to making money as possible.Tax breaks,low cost loans,write offs etc.But big Pharma has a company that makes an FDA approved drug that does basically the same thing(Think Niaspan vs no flush niacin ,same thing exactly quadruple the cost to the consumer.)So they thru the FDA bust your balls and do everything they can to stunt your growth.Its that kinda thing.
    Now in full disclosure and being slightly hypocritical I do not abandon big Pharma from an investment standpoint as I have many holdings within that sector.I do not like how they are achieving profits while fleecing insurance companies and the American consumer,but I try to think about the benefits and the groundbreaking treatments and that justifies it.But they do know how to generate revenue.
  • Options
    Also I think even greater profits can be had and more jobs created if some of the medicinal advances drug companies have in the Rand D phase could get to those they are trying to help quicker,but again the Idiots at the FDA funnel it out and control what they want put forward.And they still operate in an archaic fashion
  • Options
    jeffbr said:

mickeyrat said:

jeffbr said:

mickeyrat said:

rr165892 said:

why?

Damn Rod,

I hope you didn't take from my post that I see any sort of GOP mandate from this election cycle. I am always baffled by voters' apparent schizophrenia. Obama may have had a mandate in 2012, but there has been plenty of dissatisfaction with his performance, and right now I don't think there is any sort of mandate on either side. And this shit should have been taken care of by the dems when Obama was first elected, and his party had control of both houses of Congress. That was the time for all of the Hope and Change we were led to believe was imminent. Instead it has been six years of dick swinging and tantrums and tail-chasing by both sides.
    And I agree with your last sentence for sure.
    no, but they leadership has and continues to do so.

As far as voter satisfaction with Obama, if polled about specifics , they line up very well with what he is doing( I suspect without realizing it) but in broader terms disapprove.

I think Healthcare had the priority in part because it affected all citizens, rather than the somewhat willingly exploited few in comparison. It also needs noted that he didnt have the full 2 years either.

MAJOR fucking grudge shit coming from GOP. like they are pissed he put in place ACA which was at one time backed by the heritage foundation, was successfully implemented ( I hear) in Mass under Romney. Like he co-oped their idea.

Biggest problem is they all want to get in front of the camera and blowhard rhetoric instead of doing the actual work.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    rr165892 said:

rr165892 said:

I wish I had all those answers.Im still working thru it.I do know that when a pill costs 2dollars in Canada and 27 dollars in the states something is wrong.Yes I'm pro buisness.But Certain industries and their interconnectivity with the govt(FDA) muddy the waters.
    Example.You start a legit supplement company that has a pill that helps regulate blood sugar or has cholesterol lowering(LDL ) by product.No "proprietary "ingredients just herbs and other beneficial vitamins and minerals.But it works.You can bottle and produce this wonder supplement and try to get it into stores,on line ,etc so the gen public has availability.Your a small buisness and I want to see you succeed.I want you to have the easiest path to making money as possible.Tax breaks,low cost loans,write offs etc.But big Pharma has a company that makes an FDA approved drug that does basically the same thing(Think Niaspan vs no flush niacin ,same thing exactly quadruple the cost to the consumer.)So they thru the FDA bust your balls and do everything they can to stunt your growth.Its that kinda thing.
    Now in full disclosure and being slightly hypocritical I do not abandon big Pharma from an investment standpoint as I have many holdings within that sector.I do not like how they are achieving profits while fleecing insurance companies and the American consumer,but I try to think about the benefits and the groundbreaking treatments and that justifies it.But they do know how to generate revenue.
    Yes, muddy waters for sure. Rereading my post I see it came across as a bit accusatory, which was not my intent; I was just posting quickly. I'm not necessarily pro-pharmaceutical companies, but I do think that society as a whole is hypocritical, expecting the pharma companies to do all the R&D and take all of the (substantial) risk of bringing medications to market, facing the threat of lawsuits right and left, all for or below cost, as if these were some sort of charities. If we want pharmaceutical research to be done in a non-profit fashion, we need to elect governments that will fund that research (with the concomitant tax implications), but we don't.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Often-I didn't see it that way no worries.