Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,986
    callen said:

Gun store incident demonstrates many gun owners mentality.

"Come and Take it"

"Don't tread on Me".

"I Don't call 911 call smith and Wesson".

As to shooting guns, yeah gives many sense of empowerment. Instant gun muscles. Unfortunately it's these exact folks that shouldn't have guns. Oh well the foolishness will continue.

This isn't a representative assessment of me or any of the people I shoot and train with.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    dudeman said:

mickeyrat said:

Fuck your guns, shove them up your ass and pull the trigger. You are too fucking stupid to have kids, and damn sure not responsible for a deadl weapon. I hope you fry and rot in hell. ENOUGH IS FUCKING ENOUGH.

THIS ISNT AN ACCIDENT!!!!!!!! ITS AN EVENTUALITY.

http://wkrn.com/2016/01/25/police-child-accidentally-shot-by-another-child-in-crossville-parking-lot/

I wonder how many times had one of these two idiots argued against gun control citing responsible ownership to make their case?

It's always someone else. Until it's not.
    You'd have to ask one of the two idiots.
    I think we can make some safe assumptions though.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    dudeman said:

rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

So I'm going to go fire some guns at a range in a couple of weeks. I figure I should know what it's like if I'm going to debate against being a gun nut. I am not into it - i feel no curiosity about what it is like to use a deadly weapon at all to be honest - but a friend convinced me I ought to try it if I feel strongly about the subject and want to speak against gun culture. I dunno... it'll be weird and TBH i feel a little guilty fornsome reason. Like I'm helping to propagate the culture. Strange. But it'll be educational, definitely. Know thine enemy, so to speak.

It's nothing special. People who love it are nuts. They have to be having Rambo fantasies or something, otherwise I don't see what the big deal is at all. I grew up shooting (Boy Scouts and with family) and it is so overrated it isn't funny.
    This doesn't reflect my experiences at all. I don't have "Rambo fantasies" and I don't shoot for fun. I go to the range to develop and maintain proficiency with a tool that may one day be needed in an emergency. That's it.
    You are in the minority there, everyone I know who is gun nutty is out there having phantom 'Nam flashbacks.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,641
    rgambs said:

dudeman said:

rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

So I'm going to go fire some guns at a range in a couple of weeks. I figure I should know what it's like if I'm going to debate against being a gun nut. I am not into it - i feel no curiosity about what it is like to use a deadly weapon at all to be honest - but a friend convinced me I ought to try it if I feel strongly about the subject and want to speak against gun culture. I dunno... it'll be weird and TBH i feel a little guilty fornsome reason. Like I'm helping to propagate the culture. Strange. But it'll be educational, definitely. Know thine enemy, so to speak.

It's nothing special. People who love it are nuts. They have to be having Rambo fantasies or something, otherwise I don't see what the big deal is at all. I grew up shooting (Boy Scouts and with family) and it is so overrated it isn't funny.
    This doesn't reflect my experiences at all. I don't have "Rambo fantasies" and I don't shoot for fun. I go to the range to develop and maintain proficiency with a tool that may one day be needed in an emergency. That's it.
    You are in the minority there, everyone I know who is gun nutty is out there having phantom 'Nam flashbacks.
    Agreed. Dudeman, you are one of the exceptions to the rule IMO. Also, I'm not sure I totally buy what you're saying. If you truly only did it so that you were proficient during an emergency you wouldn't need to be nearly as into it as you seem to be.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

dudeman said:

mickeyrat said:

dudeman said:

I read about this story on a gun forum earlier. You know what's interesting? They were all saying the same things as the posters here.

Specific to this incident? Or somewhat more generally?

Beginning from stand point of where we are in agreement is better than opposition isnt it?
    Both. A lot of gun owners agree with much of what is greenly the outcome of our discussions about guns on AMT.

Changes should be made. Too many people who shouldn't have guns do.
    Well that IS heartening. It will take more voices from that "side" of this to speak often and loudly. And perhaps force the chief advocate to modify its position somewhat, because to be honest it really seems as if the NRA no longer represent its membership but rather the manufacturers. In the end its the manufacturers that are benefiting from this debate.
    Ultimately, we're all on the same side. No one likes to see innocent people killed.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

If you look at gun owners as "thine enemy" why even bother going? Gun ownership is a personal decision and if shooting makes you feel uneasy or guilty, don't do it. It's certainly not for everyone.
    Did you miss the "so to speak" part in my post? It was a figurative comment. I.e. if one is going to debate something they should know everything they reasonably can about the subject. What you are saying is, to me, the equivalent of burying your head in the sand if you don't like something. I am not that kind of person.
    You are admittedly reluctant, nervous and have feelings of guilt about shooting. You have already decided that it's not something you'll like and it's going to make you uncomfortable.

I wouldn't put a gun in the hand of someone that fit that description. Just saying.

Good luck, though and be safe!
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

If you look at gun owners as "thine enemy" why even bother going? Gun ownership is a personal decision and if shooting makes you feel uneasy or guilty, don't do it. It's certainly not for everyone.
    But its better to learn first hand what some of the appeal may be to form a more knowledgable opinion , isnt it?

I'm against murder but I'm not about to go kill someone just to find out what it's like.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

dudeman said:

rgambs said:

PJ_Soul said:

Agreed. Dudeman, you are one of the exceptions to the rule IMO. Also, I'm not sure I totally buy what you're saying. If you truly only did it so that you were proficient during an emergency you wouldn't need to be nearly as into it as you seem to be.
    Actually, I'm more into the debate about gun control than actually shooting. I think it's important to try to preserve the idea that gun ownership is a right for law-abiding citizens.

You are free to believe whatever you want about me or my intentions, though.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,913
    dudeman said:

mickeyrat said:

dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

But its better to learn first hand what some of the appeal may be to form a more knowledgable opinion , isnt it?

I'm against murder but I'm not about to go kill someone just to find out what it's like.
    Ok. But to argue from a position of knowledge is far better than supposition.

Bad example though. That statement is beneath both of us andd this debate.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

Did you miss the "so to speak" part in my post? It was a figurative comment. I.e. if one is going to debate something they should know everything they reasonably can about the subject. What you are saying is, to me, the equivalent of burying your head in the sand if you don't like something. I am not that kind of person.
    You are admittedly reluctant, nervous and have feelings of guilt about shooting. You have already decided that it's not something you'll like and it's going to make you uncomfortable.

I wouldn't put a gun in the hand of someone that fit that description. Just saying.

Good luck, though and be safe!
    I am not following you. I am doing it so that I have that learning experience. Yes, I'm reluctant, nervous, and feel a bit of guilt. But like a normal, level-headed person, lol. Not like a mental case. I am a responsible, intelligent person who is perfectly capable of learning to use a gun no matter what my feelings are about it. I am not one to avoid an experience just because I'm not into it. Not if there is a purpose to doing it, and there is in this case.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dudeman said:

mickeyrat said:

dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

That is not the same thing, and you know it.
  • Options
    Of course it's not the same thing. It's an exaggerated parallel.

You plan to take something that you feel in your heart is wrong and do it for the sake of the experience.

That's cool with me.
  • Options
    dudeman said:

You plan to take something that you feel in your heart is wrong and do it for the sake of the experience.

That's cool with me.

Wow, you are being very dramatic, lol. I'm slightly uncomfortable. This is not a deep moral dilemma. :lol: I don't feel in my heart that it's wrong at all. I feel like it might make me in particular hypocritical for even giving my money to a recreational shooting range (and i'm not even sure on that). That is where the guilt lies. Not from it "being wrong". And it's not a big enough deal not to do it. If I "feel in my heart" that something is wrong, I definitely do NOT do it.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    dudeman said:

callen said:

"Come and Take it"

"Don't tread on Me".

As to shooting guns, yeah gives many sense of empowerment. Instant gun muscles. Unfortunately it's these exact folks that shouldn't have guns. Oh well the foolishness will continue.

This isn't a representative assessment of me or any of the people I shoot and train with.
    So you get no sense of empowerment? None?

10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen said:

dudeman said:

callen said:

"Come and Take it"

"Don't tread on Me".

So you get no sense of empowerment? None?

Sense of empowerment? No.

I think I've been pretty clear on these boards why I decided to seek proficiency with a firearm.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

That's cool with me.

Wow, you are being very dramatic, lol. I'm slightly uncomfortable. This is not a deep moral dilemma. :lol: I don't feel in my heart that it's wrong at all. I feel like it might make me in particular hypocritical for even giving my money to a recreational shooting range (and i'm not even sure on that). That is where the guilt lies. Not from it "being wrong". And it's not a big enough deal not to do it. If I "feel in my heart" that something is wrong, I definitely do NOT do it.
    Ok. Awesome. (Sorry for making you feel uncomfortable, BTW.)

Moving on, this is becoming an obstacle to the "Universal Background Check" system that we all pretty much agree would be a good idea and is a step in the right direction:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2016/01/19/fbi-guns-background-checks/78752774/
  • Options
    dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

That's cool with me.

Moving on, this is becoming an obstacle to the "Universal Background Check" system that we all pretty much agree would be a good idea and is a step in the right direction:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2016/01/19/fbi-guns-background-checks/78752774/
    Its also why the president took part of the action he did.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    dudeman said:

Smellyman said:

think about it.

the gun store should theoretically be the safest place on earth. nobody goes there except people who are proficient with the basics of how to safely use a gun.

or does this prove my point that there should be basic gun control steps taken?

and the company line....more people that are carrying, the safer it will be.
    Legal concealed carry is entirely different than gun ownership. People who legally carry concealed pistols are among the most law-abiding citizens in this country. More so than law enforcement officers, actually.
    yet they still manage to accidently shoot people in movie theaters and gun shows.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    Very, very rarely.
  • Options
  • Options
    http://youtu.be/sJ19_qYPuyM

Just seen this. Thought it would be excellent for schools, offices, or any other application.
  • Options
    dudeman said:

PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

That's cool with me.

Oh no! Sorry, I didn't mean you are making me uncomfortable, lol. I meant I'm just slightly uncomfortable about going to a gun range, that's all.
  • Options
    No worries. Be safe!
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Whoops. Scratch that gun range idea. I just found out that the ammo is extra and RIDICULOUSLY expensive. No way am I paying $65 extra or whatever (plus $35 for the instruction, entrance, etc) just for enough ammo to make the trip worth it. What a stupid waste of money, lol. My friend is disappointed, but I'm just not into it enough to spend $100. I guess I will indeed go the rest of my life never firing a gun (barring a zombie apocalypse).
    So is this a major difference between Canada and the US? How much does ammo actually cost in the US? I know some support raising the prices, so that makes me assume it's super cheap (or at least relatively). Here are the ammo prices at this Canadian gun range. How does that compare to the US (keeping in mind the current exchange rate is fairly irrelevant here - the prices haven't changed recently and the dollar only very recently took a tumble - last year it was about the same in USD)?

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Whoops. Scratch that gun range idea. I just found out that the ammo is extra and RIDICULOUSLY expensive. No way am I paying $65 extra or whatever (plus $35 for the instruction, entrance, etc) just for enough ammo to make the trip worth it. What a stupid waste of money, lol. My friend is disappointed, but I'm just not into it enough to spend $100. I guess I will indeed go the rest of my life never firing a gun (barring a zombie apocalypse).
    So is this a major difference between Canada and the US? How much does ammo actually cost in the US? I know some support raising the prices, so that makes me assume it's super cheap (or at least relatively). Here are the ammo prices at this Canadian gun range. How does that compare to the US (keeping in mind the current exchange rate is fairly irrelevant here - the prices haven't changed recently and the dollar only very recently took a tumble - last year it was about the same in USD)?

U.S. prices are at least half of those prices if not more.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Interesting. Well I guess perhaps a point has made. I was dissuaded from using a gun because of high ammo prices (despite my friend trying to persuade me. He even offered to pay for my ammo, but I refused because just the principle of paying that much for shooting little bits of metal at a target seems a ridiculous waste of money). And no, it wasn't just an easy excuse to not go for me, lol. So it seems like dramatically raising ammo prices in the US really might help to calm the gun culture down there over time.
  • Options
    Is it required to purchase ammo from the range? Here or there.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    mickeyrat said:

They will not allow outside ammo at all. I have no idea when it comes to other ranges though. Most ranges seem to be for members only.
    But anyway, here is a random canadian ammo site with prices.... seems pretty expensive to just purchase privately too. Seems to average at least $1/bullet.
    https://www.canadaammo.com/product/byCategory/handgun-ammo/

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/byCategory/rifle-ammo/

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/byCategory/shotgun-ammo/
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Those prices are a little high but it all depends on the particular ammo.

Generally speaking, full metal jacket (FMJ) loads are intended for practice and shooting paper targets. A box of 50 9mm FMJ's sells for between $11.00 and $16.00 depending on manufacturer and the retailer mark up around here.

Jacketed hollow-point ammo (JHP) is typically designed for hunting and self-defense. It's not uncommon to see 9mm JHP ammo from premium manufacturers sell for between $1.00 and $2.00 per round. It's usually sold in boxes of 20 or 25 rounds.

If one plans to do much shooting, especially enough to generate any real proficiency with a gun, there is a sizable financial commitment.

On the other hand, there are also those of us who load our own ammunition for practice/training purposes. It's a matter of intensive learning, patience and attention paid to the smallest detail so it's not for everyone. The benefit is that one can assemble their own loads for much less money. I developed a 9mm round that has the same trajectory and recoil impulse of expensive, self-defense ammo that costs 12.8 cents per round.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Different ranges have different rules. Some require you to purchase theirs, some will allow you to bring your own.

I have been to ranges that only allow "lead-free" or total metal jacket (TMJ) in which each bullet has no exposed lead. This is typically a stipulation of indoor ranges since air quality is of higher concern indoors.
This discussion has been closed.