America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:
    Let me say this clearly...

Arming teachers is literally the dumbest idea ive heard in my 39 years on this planet... I'm shocked at how many Americans think it's a good idea, or even debatable... it's lunacy!!!

It's ok, there are George Zimmermans out there teaching, it's only a matter of time. Blood won't be on my hands

If I had a kid and his school allowed armed teachers, I would pull my kid out so fast their head would spin. I question any parent that wouldn't do the same

Guns suck, nothing positive comes from them. Nothing. 

This sounds like head in the sand talk to me.
    The guns are out there, hundreds of millions of them.  They are walking into schools and concerts and nightclubs and malls and they are murdering people in scores.  At what point does being the only person without a gun become the dumbest thing you've ever heard.
    I don't think the solution to guns is more guns, it's working to get guns out of the wrong hands and working to get guns into the right hands.

Leaving kids with closet doors as their only protection sounds pretty fucking dumb to me.
    NEVER as dumb as making teachers pack heat. 
    Easy to say when you don't have kids going to school in America.

no it isn't. I can't seriously fathom being for arming teachers even if I lived there. I have family in Texas and Wisconsin that have kids in elementary and middle and high school. it scares the fuck out of me that this may happen to one of them at some point. and I can't imagine any of my relatives are pro-arming teachers either. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited March 2018
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:

Arming teachers is literally the dumbest idea ive heard in my 39 years on this planet... I'm shocked at how many Americans think it's a good idea, or even debatable... it's lunacy!!!

It's ok, there are George Zimmermans out there teaching, it's only a matter of time. Blood won't be on my hands

If I had a kid and his school allowed armed teachers, I would pull my kid out so fast their head would spin. I question any parent that wouldn't do the same

The guns are out there, hundreds of millions of them.  They are walking into schools and concerts and nightclubs and malls and they are murdering people in scores.  At what point does being the only person without a gun become the dumbest thing you've ever heard.
    I don't think the solution to guns is more guns, it's working to get guns out of the wrong hands and working to get guns into the right hands.

Leaving kids with closet doors as their only protection sounds pretty fucking dumb to me.
    Made it 39 years without owning a gun, no problem at all... and I will NEVER own a gun personally... because i'm not scared... I'll be totally fine being the only American without a gun, don't need it

The love of my life carries a gun for work, and I fear for her safety every day.

Never liked guns, never will... they are only made to destroy... not impressed with gun owners that thinks it's awesome either... had a younger dipshit cousin bragging about buying an AR-15 at Christmas 2 years ago... he's never been hunting... lives in a suburban neighborhood...can bsrely keep a job... nice kid,  but he has no fucking clue... and he's bragging about owning an assault rifle... good job America, bravo 

Pathetic times in the USA
    You don't have to be scared to be dead.

It is pathetic, that's for sure.
    I never understood this anyway.  Do you have fire extinguishers because you are scared of a fire?  Do you wear seatbelts because you are scared of a wreck?  Do you bring a coat with you on a cool day because you are scared of freezing?  Do you have a spare tire because you are “scared” of getting a flat?  Do people have first aid kits because they are scared of getting a cut?
    No, you do those things to prepare for if you are ever in a situation where you may need them...because negative situations do exist.  Some take that to the extreme (aka “preppers”), but who am I to call someone crazy for preparing for the worst.  “Prepare for the worst, hope for the best”

On another note, I do take bear spray on hiking trips because I am terrified of bears, lol
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    For the record, I don't live in fear and I don't carry a gun, and I don't think armed teachers is a good idea.
    That being said, the disparaging of owning/carrying a gun to protect yourself and your family in a country filled with gun violence is getting out of hand.  It's gone to the point of hyperbole.
    "More guns isn't the answer."
    Sure that's true on a societal level, but not necessarily on a personal level.
    If I said, "we have a fistfight problem in America, more punches aren't the answer", then, sure that sounds good. That sounds good until someone starts punching you or worse, your loved ones.  At that point philosophy goes out the window and you'd better start throwing hands.

When you say take the long view, 50-100 years, that's an awful lot of victims in the meantime that might have been able to protect themselves.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:

no it isn't. I can't seriously fathom being for arming teachers even if I lived there. I have family in Texas and Wisconsin that have kids in elementary and middle and high school. it scares the fuck out of me that this may happen to one of them at some point. and I can't imagine any of my relatives are pro-arming teachers either. 
    So are you more scared that they will be shot by a teacher than a student or someone off the street?
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited March 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:

Made it 39 years without owning a gun, no problem at all... and I will NEVER own a gun personally... because i'm not scared... I'll be totally fine being the only American without a gun, don't need it

The love of my life carries a gun for work, and I fear for her safety every day.

Never liked guns, never will... they are only made to destroy... not impressed with gun owners that thinks it's awesome either... had a younger dipshit cousin bragging about buying an AR-15 at Christmas 2 years ago... he's never been hunting... lives in a suburban neighborhood...can bsrely keep a job... nice kid,  but he has no fucking clue... and he's bragging about owning an assault rifle... good job America, bravo 

I never understood this anyway.  Do you have fire extinguishers because you are scared of a fire?  Do you wear seatbelts because you are scared of a wreck?  Do you bring a coat with you on a cool day because you are scared of freezing?  Do you have a spare tire because you are “scared” of getting a flat?  Do people have first aid kits because they are scared of getting a cut?
    No, you do those things to prepare for if you are ever in a situation where you may need them...because negative situations do exist.  Some take that to the extreme (aka “preppers”), but who am I to call someone crazy for preparing for the worst.  “Prepare for the worst, hope for the best”

On another note, I do take bear spray on hiking trips because I am terrified of bears, lol
    Fire extinguishers put out fires... seatbelts stop me from flying out the window... coats keep me warm... spare tires work better then flat ones... they work for what they are intended to do

But having a gun does not make me safer, at all...actually, it does quite the opposite according to widely accepted and available statistics 

I work in a city labeled as "Murdertown USA" so i'm well aware of the risks in modern america, and im also aware that having a gun does not make me safer in any way
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:

Fire extinguishers put out fires... seatbelts stop me from flying out the window... coats keep me warm... spare tires work better then flat ones... 

But having a gun does not make me safer...actually, it does quite the opposite according to widely accepted and available statistics 

I work in a city labeled as "Murdertown USA" so i'm well aware of the risks in modern america, and im also aware that having a gun does not make me safer in any way
    That bears out true statistically across a societal level, but again, saying it doesn't make you "safer in any way" is hyperbole that's just exaggeration.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:

Who is calling for “making” teachers pack heat?  I am in support of “allowing” them to if they meet certain requirements, but I would never be in favor of making anyone “pack heat”.  
    this is still gonzos

Would you work somewhere where your co-workers and clients are allowed ccw?

I had a meeting with a client where I had to explain due to an accounting error, our company misallocated $250K of their money a decade ago and we needed it back.  My client lost his job because it happened on his watch and he didn't catch it. 

Now imagine hosting that meeting where everyone at the table has a gun.  No thank you.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,611
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:

Why don't you take a gun?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    rgambs said:
    For the record, I don't live in fear and I don't carry a gun, and I don't think armed teachers is a good idea.
    That being said, the disparaging of owning/carrying a gun to protect yourself and your family in a country filled with gun violence is getting out of hand.  It's gone to the point of hyperbole.
    "More guns isn't the answer."
    Sure that's true on a societal level, but not necessarily on a personal level.
    If I said, "we have a fistfight problem in America, more punches aren't the answer", then, sure that sounds good. That sounds good until someone starts punching you or worse, your loved ones.  At that point philosophy goes out the window and you'd better start throwing hands.

When you say take the long view, 50-100 years, that's an awful lot of victims in the meantime that might have been able to protect themselves.
    I think the point of that last statement though, is to thrive on the idea that in 50-100 years there will be no victims.  Yes, there will be casualties in the meantime until we clean up this mess. But why allow the mess to perpetuate endlessly? If you can clean it up for good in the long run, the losses in the time being are what the military would call "casualties of war."  And that's not to say I'm not empathetic for them and I wish we could just snap our fingers and all murders are stopped forever, guns or not. There is no immediate solution that is going to make it go away tomorrow.  Why not leave a better future for the next generations?
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:

Fire extinguishers put out fires... seatbelts stop me from flying out the window... coats keep me warm... spare tires work better then flat ones... they work for what they are intended to do

But having a gun does not make me safer, at all...actually, it does quite the opposite according to widely accepted and available statistics 

Hey, I’m well aware that some people are better at using fire extinguishers than others.  
  • Options
    Another “responsible” gun owner, doing what “responsible” gun owners seem to do, be “responsible” until they’re not.

After 8-Year-Old Boy Repeatedly Shot His 4-Year-Old Sister, His Mother Cleaned Up and Went to Work, Prosecutor Says - TIME https://apple.news/ABQWyvskrQM2tCD37RJ1Hmw
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:

Why don't you take a gun?
    I do occasionally, but restrictive laws keep me from being able to in some areas...And, by God, I am a respectable law-abiding citizen!  Lol

• Options
    Bear spray is more effective anyways.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Bear spray is more effective anyways.
    I’ve heard that the best method if facing a grizzly is to bend over, put your head between your legs...........and kiss your ass goodbye, lol
  • Options
    Hahaha that's always plan B!
    I don't think there has yet been a serious mauling that has occured after bear spray was properly deployed.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    october22 said:
    october22 said:
    october22 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    The strawman is that "liberals" have an issue with police (aka people with real professional training) having weapons and an increased presence.  I can speak for myself only, but it seems to be in line with most, that I have an issue with semi automatic weapons in the hands of John Q. Public and arming teachers in a classroom. 
    I am not in favor of arming teachers, so I'm with you there.

Are you in favor of removing or restricting the public's access to all semi-automatic weapons? I only ask because that's a more radical view than we've been discussing so it's important to make the distinction. 
    how is it more radical? 
    Because it broadens the scope of this recent conversation from rifles to almost all guns. It also affirms pro-second amendment advocates' fears that a rifle ban is really the left's sneaky way of coming after all guns eventually (same with mag capacity). That's often why any talk of a ban on any weapon never gets anywhere.
    So can you answer why these massacres don’t happen in other countries heck even our northern neighbors don’t have to deal with these kinds of issues, so tell us why only in this so called most advanced nation in the world these occurred ..

"Fiction can be fun! But I find the reference section much more enlightening." - Ace Ventura

https://crimeresearch.org/2015/06/comparing-death-rates-from-mass-public-shootings-in-the-us-and-europe/

I can't answer your question because it makes no goddamn sense.

You might find the above link handy. Admittedly, it's a few years old, but it may clear up some of your ignorance. Be sure to note where our cute neighbors from the north rank on issues that "only" happen in the US. Check out Europe while you're at it. How's that gun control working out? Dive a little deeper into US state-by-state, or county-by-county gun deaths. How's that gun control working out?

We absolutely have a problem with gun violence in the US, but we're certainly not alone. If you would take a moment to do your own research rather than parrot liars and social manipulators like Obama, Vox, CNN or wherever else you get your "information", you'll soon find that you're on the factually incorrect side of the argument.

That said, this will be my last post in this thread. I realize I'm dealing with the same type of ignorance here that I run into in real life. After 340 pages in a thread about gun violence, some of you who'd like to infringe upon the rights of others don't even know what the fuck a semi-automatic firearm even is!

AND YET YOU SEEK TO BAN THEM

Peace

First - I don't have to know what a semi-automatic firearm is. It is a subset of a category I find abhorrent - items whose primary purpose are to kill. I reserve my right to this opinion, and back it up with facts I question and still find meaningful once validated. Debate my premise, debate my facts' accuracy, or debate my conclusions stemming from the combination - but don't debate my right to opine.

Next - everyone is a social manipulator. Life is a game of influencing and being influenced - selling and buying - of products, services, and ideas. If you'd like to suggest that "social manipulators" are a uniquely leftist phenomena, this is a non-starter for debate between the left and anyone else. It's also fallacious. 

Now onto your facts. I'm only going to show the first 'point' provided by the author, as there's enough disingenuous fact presentation to discredit the rest, since the author does not seem to understand basic logic. 

Premise: "The statement made that the rate of mass shootings in the USA is a global anomaly, is false." ->  "The rate of mass shootings in the USA is a global anomaly" is false -> "The rate of mass shootings in the USA is not a global anomaly" -> "The rate of mass shootings in the USA is within the realm of global normalcy"

Measure used to prove or disprove: Quantity of Mass Shooting Events per Country

Measures provided to prove or disprove:
    First - Percentage (Quantity per Million citizens) of Deaths at Mass Shooting Events per Country - this one is just plain irrelevant, as the statement was not about deaths, it was about mass shooting events. 
    Next - Percentage (Quantity per Million citizens) of Mass Shooting Events per Country

Difference between relevant measure and measures provided: normalized per population

What it looks like with measures provided: measure is within the realm of global normalcy

What it looks like with the measures requested: the author clearly didn't want that data shown, but I did. So I gathered the populations for those 18 countries in 2015 (the year the data goes until), multiplied the populations by the stated Frequency per Population values provided, to yield the actual Quantity of Mass Shootings by Country over this time span. Below, I've sorted this data in order of highest Quantity of Mass Shootings to lowest. Note the imperfect causal relationship between Quantity of Shootings and Populations (easiest viewed through the Population Rank). 

I then put this into Chart form to visually show the correlation is between a Population Size and the Quantity of Shootings, and how America doesn't necessarily fit the mould. The two dotted lines are trendlines, (the orange one includes the USA, and the blue one does not). The R-squared value indicates how closely the trendline fits the data. An R-squared value of +/- .70 is considered a strong correlation. (-1 and +1 are perfect relationships, and 0 is two unrelated pieces of data).

My Conclusions
    First, it is difficult to conclude anything meaningful out of this data set, given the fact that America is over twice the size of any other country listed. That lack of comparable data points is a non-starter to derive anything meaningful, unless you believe that there is proportionality between Quantity of Mass Shootings and Population Sizes.

Speaking to those people who do believe that there is proportionality between Quantity of Mass Shootings and Population Sizes, it is worth noting that whether you include America's data to produce trendlines or not, it is either producing too many Mass Shootings, or way too many Mass Shootings. That 'bump' that pushes or pulls the Quantity of Mass Shootings within a Country away from the trendline, is some sort of external undefined factor within said Country (i.e. civil unrest, Justin Bieber playing in the Country too often, terrorism, Mardi Gras, massive discounts on confetti, etc.) 

It is very easy with data to answer a question that seems close enough to what was truly asked, that one could believe that they've seen evidence of an answer, when in fact they've seen no such thing. Since peoples' time have costs associated with them, they are always getting something in return. Unless that 'something' is the love of teaching, that 'something' is usually profit. We all need to work on developing our bullshit alarms, because there is a massive pool of people and organizations who are counting on us not having them, and we are responsible for that belief.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    39 years... all the people I know... all the different experiences... all the different situations...

And I don't know anyody personaly that was safer or would have been safer because they had a gun to protect themselves... zero instances... none... zip... zero... and I don't live in the boonies

But I do know people that were safer, some lives actually saved,  due to fire extinguishers, seat belts, and using a coat to stay warm 

Keep clinging to those guns... just make sure you shoot the boogey man, and not a family member
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    my2hands said:
    39 years... all the people I know... all the different experiences... all the different situations...

And I don't know anyody personaly that was safer or would have been safer because they had a gun to protect themselves... zero instances... none... zip... zero... and I don't live in the boonies

But I do know people that were safer, some lives actually saved,  due to fire extinguishers, seat belts, and using a coat to stay warm 

Keep clinging to those guns... just make sure you shoot the boogey man, and not a family member
    Awesome, I actually DO know two or three people that most likely saved their lives with a gun.
    I know 1 person that stopped a house fire with an extinguisher.  One person that actually died BECAUSE of his seatbelt, and no one that almost froze to death (that i’m aware of).  
    And...i’m younger than you by a couple years.
    Life experiences are different for everyone...
  • Options
    And how did they save their life with a gun?
  • Options
    my2hands said:

I am not clinging to guns, I have a .22 for small game and varmint control and I borrow a shotgun when I want to take a deer.
    I don't carry a pistol or anything like that.
    Even if I did cling to my guns, that wouldn't make your exaggerated hyperbole any more true.
  • Options
    The point is... before we go down a worm hole... is you're equating a ferarm with a fucking seatbelt... and that's ridiculous 
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:

I am not clinging to guns, I have a .22 for small game and varmint control and I borrow a shotgun when I want to take a deer.
    I don't carry a pistol or anything like that.
    Even if I did cling to my guns, that wouldn't make your exaggerated hyperbole any more true.
    I'm speaking in general, not directly to you

America has a John Wayne complex, fantasizing about the good guy reacting and taking out the bad guy in a hail of bullets... and now that has bled into people thinking we should just arm anybody... because if you're willing to arm an elementary school teacher, who WONT you arm?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    my2hands said:
    The point is... before we go down a worm hole... is you're equating a ferarm with a fucking seatbelt... and that's ridiculous 
    I’m not equating them, but was only making the point that there is a difference between “fearful” and “prepared”.  In fact, one of the main points of discussion in my CCW class was to not carry out of fear, but out of preparedness.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:

So are you more scared that they will be shot by a teacher than a student or someone off the street?
    I have three kids in school and this is exactly my fear.  Not intentionally,  but accidentally.  My children will be home schooled if there are weapons in the classroom routinely,  and carried by someone other than law enforcement .

As an aside, my son's hs has two cops in school full time.  I'm fine with that. 
  • Options
    And if you think America isnt clinging to it's guns, then I don't know what to tell you 
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    And how did they save their life with a gun?
    They shot the bear, duh.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Didn't a teacher just crack off rounds in a classroom and the school went into lockdown the other day? 

Lunacy.
  • Options
    Didn't a teacher just crack off rounds in a classroom and the school went into lockdown the other day? 

Lunacy.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:

Fire extinguishers put out fires... seatbelts stop me from flying out the window... coats keep me warm... spare tires work better then flat ones... 

But having a gun does not make me safer...actually, it does quite the opposite according to widely accepted and available statistics 

That bears out true statistically across a societal level, but again, saying it doesn't make you "safer in any way" is hyperbole that's just exaggeration.
    Not true.

The statistics clearly demonstrate that the moment a gun is introduced to a household... the likelihood of someone in that household getting hurt or killed by gunfire increases exponentially.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    benjs said:
    october22 said:
    october22 said:
    october22 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    The strawman is that "liberals" have an issue with police (aka people with real professional training) having weapons and an increased presence.  I can speak for myself only, but it seems to be in line with most, that I have an issue with semi automatic weapons in the hands of John Q. Public and arming teachers in a classroom. 
    I am not in favor of arming teachers, so I'm with you there.

Are you in favor of removing or restricting the public's access to all semi-automatic weapons? I only ask because that's a more radical view than we've been discussing so it's important to make the distinction. 
    how is it more radical? 
    Because it broadens the scope of this recent conversation from rifles to almost all guns. It also affirms pro-second amendment advocates' fears that a rifle ban is really the left's sneaky way of coming after all guns eventually (same with mag capacity). That's often why any talk of a ban on any weapon never gets anywhere.
    So can you answer why these massacres don’t happen in other countries heck even our northern neighbors don’t have to deal with these kinds of issues, so tell us why only in this so called most advanced nation in the world these occurred ..

"Fiction can be fun! But I find the reference section much more enlightening." - Ace Ventura

https://crimeresearch.org/2015/06/comparing-death-rates-from-mass-public-shootings-in-the-us-and-europe/

I can't answer your question because it makes no goddamn sense.

You might find the above link handy. Admittedly, it's a few years old, but it may clear up some of your ignorance. Be sure to note where our cute neighbors from the north rank on issues that "only" happen in the US. Check out Europe while you're at it. How's that gun control working out? Dive a little deeper into US state-by-state, or county-by-county gun deaths. How's that gun control working out?

We absolutely have a problem with gun violence in the US, but we're certainly not alone. If you would take a moment to do your own research rather than parrot liars and social manipulators like Obama, Vox, CNN or wherever else you get your "information", you'll soon find that you're on the factually incorrect side of the argument.

That said, this will be my last post in this thread. I realize I'm dealing with the same type of ignorance here that I run into in real life. After 340 pages in a thread about gun violence, some of you who'd like to infringe upon the rights of others don't even know what the fuck a semi-automatic firearm even is!

AND YET YOU SEEK TO BAN THEM

Peace

First - I don't have to know what a semi-automatic firearm is. It is a subset of a category I find abhorrent - items whose primary purpose are to kill. I reserve my right to this opinion, and back it up with facts I question and still find meaningful once validated. Debate my premise, debate my facts' accuracy, or debate my conclusions stemming from the combination - but don't debate my right to opine.

Next - everyone is a social manipulator. Life is a game of influencing and being influenced - selling and buying - of products, services, and ideas. If you'd like to suggest that "social manipulators" are a uniquely leftist phenomena, this is a non-starter for debate between the left and anyone else. It's also fallacious. 

Now onto your facts. I'm only going to show the first 'point' provided by the author, as there's enough disingenuous fact presentation to discredit the rest, since the author does not seem to understand basic logic. 

Premise: "The statement made that the rate of mass shootings in the USA is a global anomaly, is false." ->  "The rate of mass shootings in the USA is a global anomaly" is false -> "The rate of mass shootings in the USA is not a global anomaly" -> "The rate of mass shootings in the USA is within the realm of global normalcy"

Measure used to prove or disprove: Quantity of Mass Shooting Events per Country

Measures provided to prove or disprove:
    First - Percentage (Quantity per Million citizens) of Deaths at Mass Shooting Events per Country - this one is just plain irrelevant, as the statement was not about deaths, it was about mass shooting events. 
    Next - Percentage (Quantity per Million citizens) of Mass Shooting Events per Country

Difference between relevant measure and measures provided: normalized per population

What it looks like with measures provided: measure is within the realm of global normalcy

What it looks like with the measures requested: the author clearly didn't want that data shown, but I did. So I gathered the populations for those 18 countries in 2015 (the year the data goes until), multiplied the populations by the stated Frequency per Population values provided, to yield the actual Quantity of Mass Shootings by Country over this time span. Below, I've sorted this data in order of highest Quantity of Mass Shootings to lowest. Note the imperfect causal relationship between Quantity of Shootings and Populations (easiest viewed through the Population Rank). 

I then put this into Chart form to visually show the correlation is between a Population Size and the Quantity of Shootings, and how America doesn't necessarily fit the mould. The two dotted lines are trendlines, (the orange one includes the USA, and the blue one does not). The R-squared value indicates how closely the trendline fits the data. An R-squared value of +/- .70 is considered a strong correlation. (-1 and +1 are perfect relationships, and 0 is two unrelated pieces of data).

My Conclusions
    First, it is difficult to conclude anything meaningful out of this data set, given the fact that America is over twice the size of any other country listed. That lack of comparable data points is a non-starter to derive anything meaningful, unless you believe that there is proportionality between Quantity of Mass Shootings and Population Sizes.

Speaking to those people who do believe that there is proportionality between Quantity of Mass Shootings and Population Sizes, it is worth noting that whether you include America's data to produce trendlines or not, it is either producing too many Mass Shootings, or way too many Mass Shootings. That 'bump' that pushes or pulls the Quantity of Mass Shootings within a Country away from the trendline, is some sort of external undefined factor within said Country (i.e. civil unrest, Justin Bieber playing in the Country too often, terrorism, Mardi Gras, massive discounts on confetti, etc.) 

It is very easy with data to answer a question that seems close enough to what was truly asked, that one could believe that they've seen evidence of an answer, when in fact they've seen no such thing. Since peoples' time have costs associated with them, they are always getting something in return. Unless that 'something' is the love of teaching, that 'something' is usually profit. We all need to work on developing our bullshit alarms, because there is a massive pool of people and organizations who are counting on us not having them, and we are responsible for that belief.
    That's just a straight up ass kicking....enough Benjs....mercy
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
This discussion has been closed.