Options

Stone interview, talks about PJ's tour schedules

boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
edited June 2013 in The Porch
Not sure if this has already been posted, apologies if it has.

Stone did an interview with consequenceofsound.net about Moonlander but also touches on Pearl Jam and in particular their touring (or lackof depending on your point of view).

What’s it been like in recent years spending less time on the road to focus your energies on different things?

I think if you look at the average amount of time Pearl Jam has been on the road over the past 10 years, it’s probably been about six to eight weeks a year, which in the grand scheme of rock bands is little. It’s not very much at all. We’ve gotten very good at knowing how much we want to tour and finding an amount that keeps us healthy and happy. There will be a record out soonish, it’s almost done, and I’m sure there will be more touring coming in the next year. But there’s a good balance. We’re super fortunate in Pearl Jam to have such loyal fans in terms of people who really want to come and see us play.

Such an enormous part of our band is playing live and going on the road, but luckily we can make the choice to not do it so much that it kills us. So much of Pearl Jam’s energy comes from the actual joy of its members when we’re feeling good. If we have good shows and people feel something from those shows, it’s because we don’t feel like we’re chained to this thing. We’re enjoying it with the audience. If we can keep that going, that’s good for us long term.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/06/i ... pearl-jam/
2000: Manchester
2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
2007: London
2009: Manchester
2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    I will take 15-30 great shows a year over 100 half assed shows where the band doesn't want to be there.

I've always said, anything after 6-30-2000 is a gift. Most bands don't play anymore after 10 years, much less after 23.

I've said this before... But when Jeff was robbed in Atlanta.. That could have had a totally different, much worse outcome. It was that day I told myself, this could end any day now. If I don't want to regret missing these shows I better go to as many as I want now, and not complain about the lack of shows, but be greatful for ANY shows at this point.

If the band doesn't want to be there the show will suck. This is the reason they have chosen to skip playing the south for so long. I'm from Texas. But I can tell you shows in Texas suck compared to shows in New York, Germany, etc. if I only played a few weeks out of the year, I would play places with a passionate crowd too.

Houston 2003 crowd sucked. Austin 2009 crowd sucked. Don't expect a ton of southern shows IF they only pick to play 15-20.

So my point is this. If you want to see shows, go. Yea, not everyone can afford it. But me personally, it's a given that my money is reserved for that. If it means enough, you'll skip personal luxuries for shows (which are, in turn, my luxuries...)

And good for them only playing what they want and when they want. Luckily they are one of the few bands to have the power to do that.. And I'm sure that's part of the reason we are all fans of this band.