Options

To be honest, I'm pretty disappointed in Pearl Jam

LongestRoad3LongestRoad3 Posts: 1
edited February 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
OK, hear me out. I really hate to bring this up, but since Roskilde, I thought they vowed never to play festivals ever again because of what happened. Now they are going to Europe and playing some festivals?

Now, I haven't read or heard of an interview where they give their reasons for playing these big festivals again, so if there is one or there is an explanation, I deeply apologize. However, if not, I'm greatly disappointed in the boys for doing this. They are going back on their word.

I love Pearl Jam to death, my favorite band since I was 9 and I will never abandon them as my band. But I shocked and disappointed with their decisions for their European tour.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,473
    so do you believe they should of given a reason as to why they are doing this maybe it's because they feel like it ,i have no problem with this at all ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    When did they say they wouldn't play festivals again? Going back on their word...what exactly do you mean?

What happened was awful, but it was a freak accident.

Pearl Jam played at Leeds and Reading festivals here in the UK last year, and they had a second barrier in the crowd. This is a first at these festivals, and I think I read was part of Pearl Jam's agreement to play the festival. They would not play a gig or a festival that knowingly compromises people's safety.

I wasn't at Leeds or Reading, but from what i've seen and heard, it was hard for the band to do, and Eddie got very emotional. But he always encourages the crowd to be safe, saying they will stop until everyone is ok, things like that. He says this at many gigs aswell, so fan safety is clearly always at the forefront of his mind.

I think it's a positive move playing festivals again, and there is no way they would do it if they were unsure if it would be safe for the fans. It is in no way forgetting what happened, but learning from a tragedy and being able to move forward.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Options
    mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    They changed their minds. They didn't do any promotion videos for years with themselves in it but they did. Times change, people change, so they play festivals it's no big deal. It's easy to say 'we are never playin' festivals again' after something like Rockslide but stuff happens.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • Options
    FnCircusFnCircus Posts: 439
    Now, I haven't read or heard of an interview where they give their reasons for playing these big festivals again, so if there is one or there is an explanation, I deeply apologize. However, if not, I'm greatly disappointed in the boys for doing this. They are going back on their word..
    well, I would tend to think that:

1. lessons were learned and measures taken for this to not happen again
    2. the demand is there (see all PJ come play here threads)

after 2000, focus was on safety. I don't think they would play a festival unless they were satisified that safety was in high order.
  • Options
    stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    They are pretty serious about crowd safety yeah, which is good. During Given to Fly on the Glasgow 2000 bootleg you hear eddie shouting out to the crowd making sure everyone is okay, and asking if everybody is up and making sure there is no-one underneath.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Options
    They never explicitly said they would never play a festival. The tragedy that was Roskilde could have happened in an arena or a stadium. To say that playing a festival is naive (which is implied) is like saying the same thing about playing in Europe.

New safety measures were put in place at Reading/Leeds last year, and worked extremely well. I imagine a similar thing will be executed at the festivals they play this year. Besides, they obviously enjoy playing outdoors once in a while.
  • Options
    audiodave wrote:
    When did they say they wouldn't play festivals again? Going back on their word...what exactly do you mean?

Pearl Jam played at Leeds and Reading festivals here in the UK last year, and they had a second barrier in the crowd. This is a first at these festivals, and I think I read was part of Pearl Jam's agreement to play the festival. They would not play a gig or a festival that knowingly compromises people's safety.

I wasn't at Leeds or Reading, but from what i've seen and heard, it was hard for the band to do, and Eddie got very emotional. But he always encourages the crowd to be safe, saying they will stop until everyone is ok, things like that. He says this at many gigs aswell, so fan safety is clearly always at the forefront of his mind.

I think it's a positive move playing festivals again, and there is no way they would do it if they were unsure if it would be safe for the fans. It is in no way forgetting what happened, but learning from a tragedy and being able to move forward.

exactly... i was at leeds and reading, safety was the first thing ed talked about, the first, just listen to the boots, and then at the end of the reading set his last words were, 'thanks for being safe' ... he said it was about being able to trust the crowd. that's their take on it i guess. they also paused in the reading set at one point due to a 'security issue' then started up again.
    Salut baloo
  • Options
    CloneClone UK Posts: 146
    Glad they changed their minds, i was at both leeds and reading right at the front and though it was a bit rough nothing compared to some other bands i have seen.
    The crowd were excellent at both venues, looking out for fellow people.
  • Options
    There's nothing wrong with doing festivals, its the safety of them that's the issue.

The band were naturally traumatised after Roskilde especially as you can't guarantee safety at festivals, but they've moved on and its a good sign. It's good that they are doing festivals again because that's where they should be given that their speciality is to be a touring live band and it reaches new audiences and well, its just more fun to know they can do more of them!
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    they said they wouldn't because they were scared/worried for us.
    if they think it's safe, I'll trust them (and having got to know their security staff...I do! )...because that'd destroy them should something remotely like Rosklide happen again.

it's the same as they said they wouldn't do videos..it's not an absolute...it's on their terms...and I'm fine with that.

let's face it, at their age, if they can't tour on a big scale (including festivals/ big venues), they won't tour hardly at all (not worth money/effort)...and none of us would be better for it!
  • Options
    I don´t think that not playing for a lot of people in festivals or wherever they will would be a real solution to kill the pain from such a tragedy. I think that the best award to those who died that sad day should be Pearl Jam playing live for their fans around the world...and believe me, they must remember that day very well and I´m pretty sure they always check the security conditions for their shows.
    ...can´t wear my mask, your first my last...
  • Options
    goodrocgoodroc Posts: 118
    They changed there mind-- big deal-- but i guarantee they will not play a festival unless there people look at an approve the saftey measures
  • Options
    geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    ok, people i'm feeling rather drunk......so i'm sorry if i'm going to offend anyone...it's not on purpose

so, ok, i've heard once that Eddie said he was going to have a mohegan hair cut...did he stick to that? no, oh whatever............ people change their minds, although, i do hear what you are saying, if someone has promised something he/she should stick to it.
    but i guess Eddie and the band wanted to play festivals again, from what i know he approached it very carefully, saying to people they should look out for each other.....
  • Options
    They have been playing large and small GA shows now for a couple of years... where have you all been?
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options
    FnCircusFnCircus Posts: 439
    genie wrote:
    so, ok, i've heard once that Eddie said he was going to have a mohegan hair cut...did he stick to that? no, oh whatever............
    maybe not, but that was one sweet fucking mohawk he was sportin for the Ramones HOF induction............
  • Options
    geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    F'n_Circus wrote:
    maybe not, but that was one sweet fucking mohawk he was sportin for the Ramones HOF induction............

oh, yeah i totally loved his mohawk! when i saw Eddie with the mohawk he reminded me so much of the guy i used to know, not as a boyfriend,but just as a friend.....that guy also used to wear the same mohawk...but then some shit happend and i never saw him again.....which is sad....dude wherever you are i wish you all the best! and hope one day i meet you again
  • Options
    maybe after seeing that people arent gona die and iff like reasing they have that safety barrier like last year things should be alright..
    you should be honoured that pearl jam have a new found trust in their fans and are willing to come to places in europe and play to the people who made them what they are...
  • Options
    mAcimAci Posts: 49
    time heals
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    audiodave wrote:

yeh man

listen to the first song of the reading boot and eddie really does enforce taking care of each other... i know he does it but if you listen he really drills in the point
  • Options
    OK, hear me out. I really hate to bring this up, but since Roskilde, I thought they vowed never to play festivals ever again because of what happened. Now they are going to Europe and playing some festivals?

Now, I haven't read or heard of an interview where they give their reasons for playing these big festivals again, so if there is one or there is an explanation, I deeply apologize. However, if not, I'm greatly disappointed in the boys for doing this. They are going back on their word.

I love Pearl Jam to death, my favorite band since I was 9 and I will never abandon them as my band. But I shocked and disappointed with their decisions for their European tour.

fair play to them though mate, they brought in special measures at reading and ive never had so much room at a gig.

i think they are a festival band and they made a stance of six years. i would be dissapointed if they never did festivals.
    If music be the food of love, play on.
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    robbutland wrote:
    fair play to them though mate, they brought in special measures at reading and ive never had so much room at a gig.
    you obviously were not at the front...I actually had never so little space at a gig, including Glastonbury (but then that was 12-13 years ago...I hadn't done any festival since).
  • Options
    robbutland wrote:

i think they are a festival band and they made a stance of six years. i would be dissapointed if they never did festivals.

eh?, at leeds i got crushed to fuck at the front, not exactly fun, all the dick head kids trying to get the crowds to surge when ed was obviously papping himself over safety

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell