10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited May 2015

not a bad pick, i'm content with it

yeah, not real exciting. I think it's a bit of a reach for 20, but I think he's a good player. I don't think he's a #1 WR though. So I don't like the pick in round 1. Especially in this draft where WR is one of deepest positions. Mathews and this guy as your 1 and 2 aren't scaring anyone. Another example of chip overrating his dumb college system

this draft is about exciting as the phils season
    Post edited by The Fixer on
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,501
    love the pick. basically a maclin clone for $10,000,000 less.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

You guys are going down like the Titanic!!

Go Romo.

....no
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

love the pick. basically a maclin clone for $10,000,000 less.

did you say that with the same lisp that mayock uses? plagiarism at its finest

come on macknow
  • Options
    dallas gets byron jones. that will def be interesting.

so many WRs still available. DGB especially. fucking chip...go back to college
  • Options
    think we'll look at back at this draft and be pretty happy with this pick and happy as fuck the titans didn't pull the trigger on what was reported last night (dick move of them to leak the names of the players the birds reportedly offered too)

good first day for chip's 1st draft being in charge. BIRDS!

http://igglesblitz.com/

Nelson Agholor, Your Newest Eagle
    Posted: May 1st, 2015 | Author: Tommy Lawlor | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 95 Comments

Let’s take a look at WR Nelson Agholor.

6-0, 198
    40 – 4.42
    BP – 12 reps
    VJ – 36.5 inches
    BJ – 10’5
    SS – 4.34
    3C – 6.83

32 1/4 arms
    9 1/4 hands

Turns 22 on 5/24. 2-year starter at WR for the Trojans. 56-918-6 in 2013. 104-1313-12 in 2014. Ran back 2 punts for TDs in 2014. Ran back a pair of KOs for TDs in 2013.

Agholor isn’t your typical college WR. He played in a pro style system and understands how to run routes to get open instead of relying on scheme or running a ton of WR screens. Agholor isn’t special physically, but has a good combination of size, speed and skill. He knows how to get open. He has good hands and catches the ball away from his body. Agholor has good feet. He has very good body control, which I think is the most critical trait in good receivers. He is an inconsistent blocker, but does a good job at times. He certainly isn’t shy about contact. He will work the middle of the field and is comfortable catching the ball in traffic. Agholor is an effective downfield receiver as well. He has the speed to get deep and tracks the ball well. He can also adjust to passes that are off-target.

While Agholor is a talented, fairly polished receiver, he doesn’t have dynamic potential. Breshad Perriman is bigger and faster. Agholor has enough size/speed to be a starter, but he lacks compelling measurables. He and Jeremy Maclin are almost the exact same size. Agholor is slightly faster. While Agholor did play in a pro style attack, he isn’t a great route runner. He doesn’t make sharp, dynamic cuts. There are times when he drifts too close to the sideline on deep routes and doesn’t give the QB enough room to work with. His blocking is very good at times, but he is too inconsistent there. He should be better on a play-by-play basis.

I think Agholor can be a very good starting WR in the NFL. He can get open, catches the ball well and can make plays after the catch. He can also contribute as a RS. In terms of a player comparison, he really is like Maclin and Reggie Wayne. He doesn’t do any one thing that will blow you away, but he’s good enough to make plays in a variety of ways.

Agholor is a good fit for the Eagles. Jordan Matthews, Riley Cooper and Miles Austin are all big receivers. The Eagles needed someone with good speed and the ability to create big RAC plays. Agholor ran 4.42 at the Combine. That is plenty fast enough to stretch a defense. He is faster than Maclin, who was an underrated deep receiver.

I do find it interesting that Chip Kelly pulled the trigger on taking a skill player at 20 instead of a blocker or defender.

I also think Agholor is interesting for another reason. He is more polished than Perriman and even Dorsett. If Sam Bradford is going to be the QB (and he is), go get him weapons that can help right away. Agholor isn’t a project. He can challenge for a starting role right away. He can contribute as a role player or even challenge for a starting job right away.

Most importantly of all, he’s not Damarious Randall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24b50NLt4Mw
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    That video isn't the most flattering. Nice pick. Hopefully we pick the only 8 good players in the draft and everyone else sucks for their teams. DB and O line are next I guess.

Took my son and one of his friends to the Linc last night. We couldn't find a seat inside to eat so we sat in the stands for the 1st 2 picks and missed the reactions inside. Always an enjoyable time there for the draft. The Eagles do a good job. The only complaint I have is about the autograph sessions. The one we got had Copper and Darwin Walker at the table. They were at the same table at a previous draft party. We bailed on the 30min line this year. They need to mix it up a little bit and lose Cooper!!

Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,811
    You will like Nellie. I am biased as a USC guy but he is an outstanding return guy and a gamer @ WR. He is likely not going to be a NFL #1 as pointed out...but should be a solid #2 and he cares. Not a thug, will bust his ass for the team. Great pick, wish the 49ers had chosen him instead of that loafing pile of shit called Arik Armstead, who I have hated on for years. Fuck him. Wish we had Nellie!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,301
    JK_Livin said:
    let's not forget the media in this town (and a lot of idiot fans) wanted Ricky Williams over Donovan McNabb. Getting Mariota would have been good but not at the price that was going to be needed to be paid.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,661
    JK_Livin said:
    Ha, yeah, didn't even realize who it was until you said it. Never listened to him a day in my life though, but from what i hear he is terrible
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Missanelli is trying to be the new Cataldi, and Cataldi is a pure idiot.
    98% of Philly media is a complete joke.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,279
    so far i think they got pretty good draft picks.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options

You will like Nellie. I am biased as a USC guy but he is an outstanding return guy and a gamer @ WR. He is likely not going to be a NFL #1 as pointed out...but should be a solid #2 and he cares. Not a thug, will bust his ass for the team. Great pick, wish the 49ers had chosen him instead of that loafing pile of shit called Arik Armstead, who I have hated on for years. Fuck him. Wish we had Nellie!

nice. this is good to hear coming from a usc alum.
    --

well, i think the birds have picked up 2 starters so far in this draft, gentlemen. addressed both areas of pressing concern. not sure about hicks (kendricks may be on the move obviously) but i really like agholor and rowe.

really like how the defense is shaping up. assuming no further trades, i like 10 out of the 11 spots. haven't been able to say that in over 10 years.

BIRDS!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    kiper likes the day 2 selections--

I thought Eric Rowe, a versatile safety out of Utah who can help you at CB in a pinch, would have been a perfectly reasonable late first-round pick. The Eagles got him midway through the second round, and hit a clear need. They also got the type of high-character kid Chip Kelly is all about targeting. They added Jordan Hicks in Round 3, addressing the need for some depth at inside linebacker. The Rowe pick really seals a good day for me, as I think he was a steal there.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,279
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,418
    Funny that the Eagles drafted Maclin v2.0.

Wonder how those players that were up for trade are going to feel about Kelly...

I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    so it seems like the consensus is that the birds made out pretty well. nothing sexy about it but i think they came away with a couple starters at the two positions they clearly needed help and got a lot of depth in the secondary, where we all know how much they needed it. my only beef is not taking an o lineman in the 3rd round but i wouldn't be surprised if there's another trade this summer for o line depth. BIRDS!

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2015/5/3/8538341/2015-nfl-draft-grades-philadelphia-eagles-picks-results-grading-winners-losers

SB Nation - (B)

Best pick: Rowe - Getting Rowe at No. 47 was a nice value. He has a chance to make a big impact for the Eagles.

Questionable pick: Hicks - Maybe Hicks will take over Mychal Kendricks' job, but the third round seemed a round or two too early.

If the Eagles weren't making a move for Marcus Mariota in the first round, it was apparent the team needed to fix the secondary. The Eagles smartly did that with Rowe and Shepherd. Rowe Will be fine at either safety or cornerback and Shepherd has great instincts to play the slot. Agholor is a nice replacement for Jeremy Maclin.

Mel Kiper: ESPN In$ider - (B+)

Chip Kelly might not have the maestro he coveted to run his offense, but he didn't leave this draft empty-handed. He has put a premium on guys that will buy in, and I think he got those types and hit a couple home runs in the process. Nelson Agholor to me just screams "high floor." He's a great route runner, plucks the ball out away from his body, has the proven toughness of a return man -- you should hear Polian talk about that -- and is sneaky explosive. He can get behind defenses. I also think Eric Rowe at No. 47 overall was a steal. He is a great kid and offers up versatility (CB or S), and I thought he'd be a good value as early as the end of Round 1. Jordan Hicks was a bit of a reach, but I can see where depth need is, given the group they have at linebacker. JaCorey Shepherd was often overlooked at Kansas, but was a steady performer and certainly helps at cornerback, and though Derron Smith had a reputation that surpassed what he showed on tape, that's a good need fit in Round 6. Eagles fans feeling let down by this draft should cheer up -- they got some good pieces. If Sam Bradford is indeed the answer, they can be back in the playoffs.

[Ed. note: the Eagles didn't draft Derron Smith, so I guess Kiper is talking about Evans?]
    Sports Illustrated - (B)

The Eagles missed the playoffs last season, and defense was the main reason. The secondary, to be specific. And after Philly selected USC receiver Nelson Agholor in the first round (ostensibly to replace Jeremy Maclin), the really wise pick came in the second round with Utah's Eric Rowe, who's played cornerback and free safety at a high level. In the third round, the choice was Texas outside linebacker Jordan Hicks, who could be a pass-rusher in a rotational sense. Then, two cornerbacks from the Sunflower State: Kansas's JaCorey Shepherd (No. 191), and Kansas State's Randall Evans (No. 196). Shepherd, a former receiver, might be the bigger project of the two, while Evans is the more polished player.

CBS Sports - (B+)

Best Pick: I love second-round pick Eric Rowe, a big corner who fits with what teams want now. He could also play safety if needed.

Questionable move: Third-round pick Jordan Hicks, a linebacker from Texas, has talent, but he has been plagued by injuries. The third might have been a little high.

Third-day gem: Sixth-round corner JaCorey Shepherd is a former receiver who has a lot of athletic ability. He has a chance to push for a roster spot.

Analysis: The Eagles didn't make the big move to go up and get Marcus Mariota, although they tried, so they kept their picks. They picked receiver Nelson Agholor in the first round, which I like. I love the Rowe pick as well. Nice job, Chip Kelly.
    NFL.com - (B-)

Poor Agholor will have the distinction of being "Not Marcus Mariota" in Philly, but that doesn't matter. He'll be a great fit for Chip Kelly's offensive system. His return game is not to be underestimated either, and he's a picture-perfect replacement for Jeremy Maclin. Don't be surprised if he has the most catches of any rookie wideout next season. Rowe brings great coverage skills, and as a bonus, he can play both safety and corner. Hicks could turn out to be a quality player if he can stay healthy.

Bottom line: The team didn't land Marcus Mariota but certainly restocked the secondary and nabbed a perfect playmaker for Chip Kelly in Agholor.

Rotoworld - (B-)

Even after whiffing on Marcus Mariota, the Eagles kept their cool and made a lot of good draft-weekend moves. Not included here was a deal with Detroit that netted Philadelphia the Lions' 2016 third-round pick in exchange for the Eagles' 2015 fourth-rounder. I think it's good forward-thinking process for teams to make moves like that. Agholor will seamlessly replace Jeremy Maclin. Rowe was seen by some as a safety in the pre-draft phase, but will be a press corner in Philadelphia and is a good bet to start opposite Byron Maxwell right away. Hicks seems like a luxury pick considering the Eagles' inside linebacker depth, but will contribute on special teams and could replace Mychal Kendricks by as soon as 2016. Although Shepherd has athletic limitations, he was one of the best cornerbacks in college football last season. I'm admittedly not as familiar with Evans and Mihalik. This draft wound up generating few headlines, but I feel confident the Eagles got better. (And they get to keep Fletcher Cox!)
    Sporting News - (C+)

Chip Kelly did well to resist trading away a lot of picks, and nailed Agholor as a direct great replacement for Jeremy Maclin. Rowe has a shot at starting right away, too. The rest is underwhelming depth for the defense, at the cost of ignoring the real position of need there (safety) and offensive line depth.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I love the people bitching about not drafting any OL.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

the offensive line is a concern. herremans gone, mathis on his way out, peters getting old and no really viable replacements other than journey man at this point. remember the last time there were injuries to the o-line this team went 4-12. if Peters goes down for significant time watch out.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

JK_Livin said:

the offensive line is a concern. herremans gone, mathis on his way out, peters getting old and no really viable replacements other than journey man at this point. remember the last time there were injuries to the o-line this team went 4-12. if Peters goes down for significant time watch out.
    well there were significant injuries to the o line last year that they were able to overcome, but i agree that it is a concern at this point with everyone being a year older. i was okay with letting herremans go because i was assuming they would draft a replacement this year. like i said before, i would be willing to bet they make a summer trade for depth.

--also, did you see there are reports out today that the birds are one of the teams who may have interest in collins, assuming his name is cleared. assuming he had nothing to do with that stuff...what a coup it would be to bring him in.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

pjhawks said:

JK_Livin said:

well there were significant injuries to the o line last year that they were able to overcome, but i agree that it is a concern at this point with everyone being a year older. i was okay with letting herremans go because i was assuming they would draft a replacement this year. like i said before, i would be willing to bet they make a summer trade for depth.

--also, did you see there are reports out today that the birds are one of the teams who may have interest in collins, assuming his name is cleared. assuming he had nothing to do with that stuff...what a coup it would be to bring him in.
    yea i still thinkt here is a chance if/when Kendricks gets traded they get an o-lineman back.

as for Collins i actually thought someone should have drafted him late. I would have been ok with the Birds using their last pick on him. guy is 1st round talent. If he had nothing to do with it, which the police say he is not a suspect, then getting him with a late pick would have been a coup for sure.

of course his ex-gf who was killed was 29 years old. little old for a college football player don't you think? weird story. feel bad for the guy if he really did have nothing to do with it with the timing of it screwing him so badly.
  • Options
    My point on the OL is that the draft strategy would be picked apart either way. If he picks just for need and takes an OL and they suck he's a poor drafter But if they take best available, like they did, they get blasted for not taking an OL. It's a no win situation.

Any team that has drafted an LSU player the last couple of years will be linked to Collins.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

My point on the OL is that the draft strategy would be picked apart either way. If he picks just for need and takes an OL and they suck he's a poor drafter But if they take best available, like they did, they get blasted for not taking an OL. It's a no win situation.

Any team that has drafted an LSU player the last couple of years will be linked to Collins.

yeah but when you go two years without taking any offensive lineman, when you have an aging line who was hurt last year to begin with....it makes sense to question it. just unusual to not take at least one in their situation.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,671
    no thoughts at all on your racist coach? :confounded:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive said:

nope
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,811
    imalive said:

Shady saying more stupid things. The guy was/is an excellent running back but he is a total moron.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved