Options

Ed's voice on the 2012 boots

13»

Comments

• Options
    Springsteen uses a teleprompter with lyrics. Ed just uses that old brain of his and sometimes he forgets and could use some more practice on a song.

And you think Eddie is far away from using a teleprompter?
    And btw he doesn't uses his old brain, he stands and reads lyrics off the floor for what feels like 50% of the siongs :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    The fans on this board have always, in general at least, struck me as really, really friendly and quite intelligent. So it strikes me as strange that some people are claiming that "This sounds good" or "This sounds bad" can be qualified as objective statements. They're not. So stop. Saying. That.

Opinions are entirely subjective. It's kind of the definition. Eddie's voice can't as a fact be better than it was in 2003, because there is no overarching definition of what "good" or "better" or "bad" is. What's good for one, is bad for another. Debate and discuss what you do and don't like about his voice, but don't just say "Ed's voice is terrible, worse than 2006, because it just is and because I said so hmph!" People are allowed to have opinions, and interpret things differently, and that doesn't mean that one is right or one is wrong.

My two cents:
    I haven't listened to many of the boots from 2012; only Amsterdam 2 and MT. In MT he has a cold, so things sound a bit off there. But I thought Amsterdam was great. I think that a lot of songs from back in the day aren't really suited for his voice now, especially ones that get really high. But there are many songs which are still just absolutely fantastic, especially the lower baritone pieces. He still NAILS "NAIS", for instance. I know this isn't 2012, but it's close enough, but I thought the St. Louis 2010 version of "Sometimes" was the best version I've ever heard. Ultimately, yeah, his voice ain't what it was, but that doesn't mean it's not good. It's good a lot of songs, but some it's not as good. I don't find myself listening to 2006-2012 boots very much mainly because I don't like the sound of the actual bootleg production sound as much as 2000 and 2003. Whatever they were doing back then in 2000 and 2003 to make it sound like it did...Whew! I love that deep, rich sound.
  • Options
    It's a free country and Ed can obviously do what he wants with his life and career. But I just wish he would take better care of himself and his voice because most of us want Ed and PJ around for a very long time. Ed's a smart guy, he obviously knows what his voice can't do anymore because he's tried to make some adjustments. But to continue to smoke while his voice struggles just isn't very smart. But then again, I've had multiple smoking family members die of lung cancer so I'm of the biased opinion that anyone who smokes is pretty much a f'ing idiot.