Options

Pearl Jam 2012 Bootlegs 24 Bit FLAC & ALAC - HD Formats

Comments

• Options
    NoLogoNoLogo Posts: 289
    demetrios wrote:
    boyo79 wrote:
    NoLogo wrote:
    Just a short question: If you order the CDs, is the digital download included? Or do you have to wait with listening til you get the CDs per mail?

You just get the cds.

Yep, just the CD's.

But if they did release Pearl Jam Official Audio Bootlegs in Vinyl format, we would get digital downloads for them.

Thanks! Ah, too bad, so I have to wait quite some time til the CDs arrive here... but hey! There´s PJ radio! :D

And these bootlegs on vinyl would be the killer!! :shock: :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,500
    Did they decide not to do the ALAC files? dont see them.
  • Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,348
    To echo some one else's comment: those sample tracks sound really good. From skim reading the FAQ's on the live downloads website, there is no mention of the HD formats, I'll wait for more reviews to come in .....

enjoy
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,087
    Did they decide not to do the ALAC files? dont see them.

The ALAC & ALAC-HD are available over @ http://www.livedownloads.com/live-music ... er-UK.html.

http://pearljam.com/goods/product_info. ... ts_id=1139 . Not sure if the 10club store will be selling that Apple format.
  • Options
    fcbittencafcbittenca Posts: 345
    Sound, sound... What is the source of these recordings? How different are they from the FLAC sold at 10C?
    When you get a CD and convert it to FLAC-HD it's just the same sound quality. The file gets bigger because of the format, not because there is additional data there.

If this FLAC-HD are mastered straight out of the recording table on native 24bit/96khz then I am sure it would sound amazing for anyone with a good DAC and decent amp/speakers set. Otherwise ... save your cash.

I have wasted my money on "HD" music files online just to find out they sound mostly the same as my CDs. Some company just got the CD and transfered it to FLAC and claimed to have a HD file.

I have a Onkyo TX-NR1009 biamped to Monitor Audio's BX5 speakers reading files from a Iomega 2TB NAS Drive. I am using decent cables on a regular leaving room. It's not High-End, but it gets the job done for me.
    In love with music
  • Options
    CloneClone UK Posts: 142
    Will a box set be available? since there isn't one for the 2011 tour yet.
  • Options
    NHidingNHiding Posts: 1,899
    edited August 2012
    by fcbittenca » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:35 am
    Sound, sound... What is the source of these recordings? How different are they from the FLAC sold at 10C?
    When you get a CD and convert it to FLAC-HD it's just the same sound quality. The file gets bigger because of the format, not because there is additional data there.

If this FLAC-HD are mastered straight out of the recording table on native 24bit/96khz then I am sure it would sound amazing for anyone with a good DAC and decent amp/speakers set. Otherwise ... save your cash.

I have wasted my money on "HD" music files online just to find out they sound mostly the same as my CDs. Some company just got the CD and transfered it to FLAC and claimed to have a HD file.

I have a Onkyo TX-NR1009 biamped to Monitor Audio's BX5 speakers reading files from a Iomega 2TB NAS Drive. I am using decent cables on a regular leaving room. It's not High-End, but it gets the job done for me.

*CLARIFICATION TO MY ORIGINAL REPLY*

They are originally recorded at 48k 24 bit and then converted to 96k at mastering. This happens when the mastering engineer does some additional EQ and compression in the analog domain. This is done by playing the files, running them through analog gear and re-recording them at at the higher sample rate. That isn't the same as actually multi track recording them at the higher sample rate.
    Post edited by NHiding on
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,178
    Good to know Rob - thank you!
    So, any suggestions on how to get these FLAC HD files onto a DVD for home theater playing? I don't have a fancy computer stereo hookup - but have a fantastic stereo & BR player I'm sure would play these files. Question is - how!? More specifically using an iMac running Mountain Lion.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    AAJCAAJC Calgary, AB, Canada Posts: 262
    Is there a reason for the two separate sites to download files from? Is the one provided in the first post a legit (i.e., given by the 10 Club) site to use?

Curious if I should simply get the FLAC-HD files and use them in iTunes or go with the ALAC-HD files (never even heard of these until this thread).

Cheers,
    AC
  • Options
    Just downloaded the Flac-HD files and they can not be transferred to my ipod. I did the normal conversion process for converting regular flac but it didn't work. Too bad cause it sounds great. I presume I will have to go back and purchase it again in regular flac.
    Underneath this smile lies everything...
  • Options
    Scratch that. Figured out how to convert them. In import settings, change the AIFF bitrate to 'custom' instead of 'automatic', with the settings you want, and then right click on the file and 'make AIFF version'. Only changes a 109mb song to 60mb.
  • Options
    AAJC wrote:
    Is there a reason for the two separate sites to download files from? Is the one provided in the first post a legit (i.e., given by the 10 Club) site to use?

Curious if I should simply get the FLAC-HD files and use them in iTunes or go with the ALAC-HD files (never even heard of these until this thread).

Cheers,
    AC

http://livedownloads.com/ is legit. :)

If you're all Apple, ala iTunes, iPad, iPhone etc .. user. I would go with ALAC-HD. For the PC user, FLAC-HD.

Reading the comments over @ http://www.livedownloads.com/live-music ... er-UK.html . "These downloads should be free to those who bought tickets for the show." That would be cool. Maybe someday the next 10club tickets purchased we will get that option to download that show, digitally.
  • Options
    So Manchester Night 2, FLAC-HD, tomorrow for download over @ http://www.livedownloads.com/default.aspx ?

:)
  • Options
    What the deuce? http://www.livedownloads.com/live-music ... er-UK.html

Where's the HD Flac & HD Alac?
  • Options
    The Flac - HD for Manchester Night 2 is available now over @ http://pearljam.com/goods/product_info. ... ts_id=1146
  • Options
    SWEET!!! :D

46mhW.png?1
  • Options
    I just downloaded Manchester 1 in FLAC HD and it's bloody awesome. Worth the extra cost. I used my bootleg code to get $10 off the price.
  • Options
    I haven't enjoyed a bootleg like that in a long time :D
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260

Is it as good as the hype then Dave? ;)

What are you playing it through?
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,348
    After looking at the livedownloads.com website's FAQ's and not seeing any mention of the recently added FLAC-HD and ALAC-HD format types I sent them a few questions..... here are the responses I received :

1) What is the difference between FLAC-HD and ALAC-HD?

Both are equal quality 24bit recordings. ALAC-HD is an Apple format and can be played in iTunes without any conversion.

2) Can both of the above mentioned formats be placed onto a CD-R and played in a typical car stereo in HD quality? If not, how can these HD formats be played on a car stereo?

CD players only read 16bit. To play 24bit files you have to convert to 24bit wav then burn onto a blank DVD and play through your DVD player. You can convert the 24bit files to 16bit then to wav to be able to burn onto a CD (these will then be the same quality as the normal FLAC/ALAC.)

3) Are MP3 players/ipods capable of playing FLAC-HD or ALAC-HD files?

(Newer) iPods can play ALAC-HD, mp3 players can usually only play mp3 files. Flacs can be converted to other formats - like MP3.

What type of audio format is used on the Pearl Jam sample tracks on your website?
    The samples are small files at a low bitrate.

You can play the files without conversion on VLC http://www.videolan.org/vlc/.
    You can use: xAct http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14246 to convert.

These are 24 bit files. You can convert them to 24bit wav, burn them onto a blank DVD and play them through your DVD player as DVD-Audio You have to change them to 16 bit if you want to convert to WAV or MP3 for playback in iTunes or burn an audio CD. Flac HD FAQ: http://24bit.turtleside.com/

** I found the above 'turtleside' link to be very helpful and informative.

Please let me know if you require further assistance.
    Thanks for supporting Livedownloads.com!
  • Options
    veddertown wrote:

Is it as good as the hype then Dave? ;)

What are you playing it through?

I use Winamp but that may not be the best player out there. My headphones are £50 Sennheiser's so nothing extravagant but they sound amazing. I'll be getting the rest in this format.
  • Options
    BF89905 wrote:
    After looking at the livedownloads.com website's FAQ's and not seeing any mention of the recently added FLAC-HD and ALAC-HD format types I sent them a few questions..... here are the responses I received :

1) What is the difference between FLAC-HD and ALAC-HD?

Both are equal quality 24bit recordings. ALAC-HD is an Apple format and can be played in iTunes without any conversion.

2) Can both of the above mentioned formats be placed onto a CD-R and played in a typical car stereo in HD quality? If not, how can these HD formats be played on a car stereo?

CD players only read 16bit. To play 24bit files you have to convert to 24bit wav then burn onto a blank DVD and play through your DVD player. You can convert the 24bit files to 16bit then to wav to be able to burn onto a CD (these will then be the same quality as the normal FLAC/ALAC.)

3) Are MP3 players/ipods capable of playing FLAC-HD or ALAC-HD files?

(Newer) iPods can play ALAC-HD, mp3 players can usually only play mp3 files. Flacs can be converted to other formats - like MP3.

What type of audio format is used on the Pearl Jam sample tracks on your website?
    The samples are small files at a low bitrate.

You can play the files without conversion on VLC http://www.videolan.org/vlc/.
    You can use: xAct http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14246 to convert.

These are 24 bit files. You can convert them to 24bit wav, burn them onto a blank DVD and play them through your DVD player as DVD-Audio You have to change them to 16 bit if you want to convert to WAV or MP3 for playback in iTunes or burn an audio CD. Flac HD FAQ: http://24bit.turtleside.com/

** I found the above 'turtleside' link to be very helpful and informative.

Please let me know if you require further assistance.
    Thanks for supporting Livedownloads.com!

Awesome info!!

On the PC I play the Flac-HD files on the VLC Player & sometimes Winamp, but with the home entertainment center I have my PC hooked up to the Playstation 3 Media Server which plays the 24bit Flac-HD files so sweetly!! :D
  • Options
    Not sure why ALAC HD is giving me so many problems. "Failed transfer stalled" seems to happen a lot. This is gonna take forever.
  • Options
    Listen though - not every DVD & BR player plays DVD Audio!! You need a $500 + universal BR player to get them playable on a disc on a home stereo. I've spent way too much time looking into DVD Audio options & my BR player won't play the disc. Wanna listen through your Mac or PC? That part was cake & as stated before - these HD files ARE fucking amazing.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    And there is no way to play HD on normal CD. With everything so mp3 and conveniently packaged for consumption these days - HD audio has a very small market IMO. Shame really - Whole generation growing up on shite fidelity.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Not sure why ALAC HD is giving me so many problems. "Failed transfer stalled" seems to happen a lot. This is gonna take forever.

Order from 10c - had a zip file available right away. Cant get ALAC there - but conversion is a snap if you use xACT for OSX
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I converted night one flac no problem. Thought that ALAC would be easier for night 2 but obviously not. There goes 20 bucks.
  • Options
    Anyone know how to transfer the ALAC-HD to iPad? It says on the livedownloads page that ALAC-HD can be played in iTunes, iPhones, iPods and iPads, but when I go to transfer it, it says it can't.
    Intelligence is the key and she was locked out

Let's Just Pop a Few Yards of Bubble Wrap and Call It a Day!

Don't Die Wondering

• Options
    And there is no way to play HD on normal CD. With everything so mp3 and conveniently packaged for consumption these days - HD audio has a very small market IMO. Shame really - Whole generation growing up on shite fidelity.
    Many hours later and my download is done but only 12 out of 28 songs are full length.
  • Options
    Anyone know how to transfer the ALAC-HD to iPad? It says on the livedownloads page that ALAC-HD can be played in iTunes, iPhones, iPods and iPads, but when I go to transfer it, it says it can't.
    Same here. Format not supported. Was hoping not to go through the whole conversion thing like I did for FLAC HD because ALAC is for Apple stuff. Anyone?