Question for people whose native language isn't English

2»

Comments

• iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    I have a friend who's first language is Japanese, but now she lives in the United States and is fluent in English. However, she told me that she still thinks and dreams in Japanese. I think it would probably be the same for me if I moved to another country and spoke that language; I'd probably still think in English.
    However, when I took Spanish I had quite a few dreams in Spanish, which was funny because I didn't know very much at the time. :mrgreen:
    Why now u dont languaging?
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Suzi78Suzi78 Posts: 362
    Very interesting topic! Hmmm...I think it partially depends on how fluent you are in English. When I first moved to the US (from Sweden) 14 years ago, my English was pretty good but I was a bit nervous about making mistakes and I would translate sentences in my head before talking, and in particular before making a phone call. However, I don't remember doing that when reading in English, you just automatically "get it" without translating...well unless there's a word you don't understand. Now after so many years of hearing and speaking English on a daily basis, I do think and dream mostly in English. But that also depends on if I've been speaking more of another language that day, or for a period of time.
    I work as a translator and speak 4 other languages and sometimes when I've been working a lot in Italian, I tend to think in Italian. If I speak with a Swedish friend for an hour, I tend to think in Swedish for a while afterwards. The one thing that I've noticed when speaking and working with many different languages is that it can take a few minutes for my brain to switch mode from one language to another.
    How I choose to feel is how I am
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Suzi78 wrote:
    Very interesting topic! Hmmm...I think it partially depends on how fluent you are in English. When I first moved to the US (from Sweden) 14 years ago, my English was pretty good but I was a bit nervous about making mistakes and I would translate sentences in my head before talking, and in particular before making a phone call. However, I don't remember doing that when reading in English, you just automatically "get it" without translating...well unless there's a word you don't understand. Now after so many years of hearing and speaking English on a daily basis, I do think and dream mostly in English. But that also depends on if I've been speaking more of another language that day, or for a period of time.
    I work as a translator and speak 4 other languages and sometimes when I've been working a lot in Italian, I tend to think in Italian. If I speak with a Swedish friend for an hour, I tend to think in Swedish for a while afterwards. The one thing that I've noticed when speaking and working with many different languages is that it can take a few minutes for my brain to switch mode from one language to another.

This has my mind spinning...but in a good way. :crazy: I couldn't imagine dreaming and having my inner voice in another language. Then again I can only speak one language. :lol:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Suzi78 wrote:

This has my mind spinning...but in a good way. :crazy: I couldn't imagine dreaming and having my inner voice in another language. Then again I can only speak one language. :lol:

Haha, ok I'll make your head spin even more...So my dad is Croatian but lives in Sweden, and when we speak I usually speak in Swedish and he speaks Croatian. My mother is Italian, but also speaks Croatian and Swedish and we usually speak Swedish/Italian with some Croatian words mixed in. We understand each other perfectly :D
    I have a few Swedish friends here in the US and we usually speak "Swenglish"...It's like 60% swedish, 30 % English and the rest are just weird words that are mixed. For example in a Swedish sentence I will use an English noun but the article I add to that word is in Swedish.... Or if it's a verb I will use a Swedish past tense ending to an English word. I know makes my :crazy: too sometimes.
    Suzi78 wrote:
    Haha, ok I'll make your head spin even more...So my dad is Croatian but lives in Sweden, and when we speak I usually speak in Swedish and he speaks Croatian. My mother is Italian, but also speaks Croatian and Swedish and we usually speak Swedish/Italian with some Croatian words mixed in. We understand each other perfectly :D
    I have a few Swedish friends here in the US and we usually speak "Swenglish"...It's like 60% swedish, 30 % English and the rest are just weird words that are mixed. For example in a Swedish sentence I will use an English noun but the article I add to that word is in Swedish.... Or if it's a verb I will use a Swedish past tense ending to an English word. I know makes my :crazy: too sometimes.

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    DS1119 wrote:
    Suzi78 wrote:

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
    :lol:
    While mind-boggling, DS, you have certainly created the most genuinely interesting thread I've read in quite some time. Bravo to you and Suzi both!
    We were but stones your light made us stars
    DS1119 wrote:
    Suzi78 wrote:

:lol:
    While mind-boggling, DS, you have certainly created the most genuinely interesting thread I've read in quite some time. Bravo to you and Suzi both!

It was the product of being hung over and serious sleep deprivation. :lol:
  • morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    Suzi78 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Suzi78 wrote:

I know exactly what you mean about the tense & suffix stuff Suzi. We used to do that(& probably will again when I'm there next month OMG :o ). Your language knowledge & stuff is amazing though! Wow!! :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    Suzi78 wrote:

Wow! Hey Suzi, let me know if you are interested in translating subtitles - shoot me a pm :)
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Suzi78 wrote:
    I work as a translator .

I did a stint as a simultaneous translator. That was a bit mind boggling... :crazy:
    Suzi78 wrote:

Wow! Hey Suzi, let me know if you are interested in translating subtitles - shoot me a pm :)

Thanks Leeze! :)
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    I find that I think in English a lot of the time. Sometimes I find certain things easier to express or put to words in English, so I do use it over Finnish when making notes etc. occasionally. And when I'm speaking or writing in English, I don't translate back and forth between it and Finnish. Naturally there are times when I will have to "find" certain words, but on the whole, it's pretty smooth.

One thing though: I still, even after many years of using English several times every day, always count in Finnish. Whether it's just 1, 2, 3 or actual Maths, I use Finnish. :D (I can, if necessary, count in English too but vastly prefer my own language.)

In a crowd of Finnish and non-Finnish speakers it is sometimes a bit weird changing from one language to the other. (Especially since FIN and EN are very different.) Luckily mostly when there's even one English (or other) language speaker around, everyone uses English. It's polite, I feel. :)

One funny thing I remember from back in school was that I used to always mix up Swedish and Spanish. No idea why, they're really not that similar. :lol: Speaking of Swedish, I really have to brush up on that, I feel bad about how rusty I am these days.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • I've been studying the English language for almost 24 years, I've learnt a lot, I'm still learning since there's a lot to learn, but I feel I'm a little stuck since I've never been abroad... plus, I've been working for a long time for companies which requieres their stuff to be bilingual, so I had the chance to speak fluently to English speaking people. However, even though I can understand and follow a conversation, and the other way round, it's not easy.

I've studied and I'm prepared to think in English, so I'm a 90 % sure to get what I read on these boards right. But when I have to write about something it a completely different story, that's the hard part, since I have to write in English, I mean, the structure of the sentence has to be the one of the English language, and that's the most difficult thing to overcome to someone whose native language isn't English. In fact, I believe that the previous sentence is a Spanish transfer. Spanish transfers are the sentences written in English language but their structure is the one of the Spanish, I give this example since Spanish is my native language. However, tranfers may imply not only structure features but also may be formed by idioms or vocabulary, known as false cognates, the most common example is the word sensible which means reasonable, but sensible in Spanish means sensitive, btw, in Spanish you have to produce a strong e sound as in pet to pronounce "sensible" meaning sensitive.

But as I said, even though I can understand almost everything, let's say I could think in English, not all the people here belong to the same city, or have the same cultural background, so I need to look up words in the dictionary quite often, since I am not exposed to the everyday language. I know many idioms, knew many more, but since I don't use them, they are forgotten. I know many phrasal verbs, but they are a lot, and I don't use them all frequently, in fact, recently I wrote in a thread "pull it out", but the what I wanted to say was "pull it off", so the thread kinda derailed a bit. But most important, everybody has a different way of speaking, different age, different sex, different city, different background, so everybody uses different slang and different colloquial expressions, so even though I talk on the phone with English speaking people, I watch English speaking programs on TV, I read books written in English language, and no matter how good I might be at thinking in English language, as none of these are excercise on a daily basis, it's quite difficult to understand what we read, or produce a well structured English sentence or paragraph.
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    I've been studying the English language for almost 24 years, I've learnt a lot, I'm still learning since there's a lot to learn, but I feel I'm a little stuck since I've never been abroad... plus, I've been working for a long time for companies which requieres their stuff to be bilingual, so I had the chance to speak fluently to English speaking people. However, even though I can understand and follow a conversation, and the other way round, it's not easy.

I've studied and I'm prepared to think in English, so I'm a 90 % sure to get what I read on these boards right. But when I have to write about something it a completely different story, that's the hard part, since I have to write in English, I mean, the structure of the sentence has to be the one of the English language, and that's the most difficult thing to overcome to someone whose native language isn't English. In fact, I believe that the previous sentence is a Spanish transfer. Spanish transfers are the sentences written in English language but their structure is the one of the Spanish, I give this example since Spanish is my native language. However, tranfers may imply not only structure features but also may be formed by idioms or vocabulary, known as false cognates, the most common example is the word sensible which means reasonable, but sensible in Spanish means sensitive, btw, in Spanish you have to produce a strong e sound as in pet to pronounce "sensible" meaning sensitive.

But as I said, even though I can understand almost everything, let's say I could think in English, not all the people here belong to the same city, or have the same cultural background, so I need to look up words in the dictionary quite often, since I am not exposed to the everyday language. I know many idioms, knew many more, but since I don't use them, they are forgotten. I know many phrasal verbs, but they are a lot, and I don't use them all frequently, in fact, recently I wrote in a thread "pull it out", but the what I wanted to say was "pull it off", so the thread kinda derailed a bit. But most important, everybody has a different way of speaking, different age, different sex, different city, different background, so everybody uses different slang and different colloquial expressions, so even though I talk on the phone with English speaking people, I watch English speaking programs on TV, I read books written in English language, and no matter how good I might be at thinking in English language, as none of these are excercise on a daily basis, it's quite difficult to understand what we read, or produce a well structured English sentence or paragraph.

This post is incredibly well-written for someone whose first language is not English. You've described well the difficulties you encounter. That was funny....where you said you meant "pull it off" but instead you said "pull it out" :lol:
    DS1119 wrote:
    I don't speak a foreign language (4 years of LAtin...thanks mom) so I have always wondered. When you read posts here on the board or talk with someone in English do you translate what is being said or what you read in English back into your native language to understand in your head and then vice versa to respond or is it seamless where as your brain almost switches gears?

pssstt...

hey....Dave...

you might want to change the "who's" in your title to "whose"......just sayin'......
  • by the way...

I want to paraphrase the phrase "a pedigree dog" using the word "breed"...

I'm almost certain that I can say "a dog with a pedigree", though I have to check it, but I want to know if writing the phrase "a dog of breed" or "a dog with breed" is correct according not only to grammar but also usage...

by the way...

I'm almost certain that I can say "a dog with a pedigree", though I have to check it, but I want to know if writing the phrase "a dog of breed" or "a dog with breed" is correct according not only to grammar but also usage...

I think the term you might be looking for is "purebred".....as in, a dog who is 100% beagle would be called a "purebred beagle", or if the dog obviously looks like a beagle you could just simply say "purebred" to differentiate that it's not anything else but beagle.
  • rollings wrote:
    by the way...

I'm almost certain that I can say "a dog with a pedigree", though I have to check it, but I want to know if writing the phrase is correct according not only to grammar but also usage...

I think the term you might be looking for is "purebred".....as in, a dog who is 100% beagle would be called a "purebred beagle", or if the dog obviously looks like a beagle you could just simply say "purebred" to differentiate that it's not anything else but beagle.

thanks, I haven't looked at it from that point of view, however, these two noun phrases "a dog of breed" and "a dog with breed" are used at all? grammatically they are correct, my problem is the usage, and the correct use of the preposition...

rollings wrote:
    by the way...

I'm almost certain that I can say "a dog with a pedigree", though I have to check it, but I want to know if writing the phrase is correct according not only to grammar but also usage...

thanks, I haven't looked at it from that point of view, however, these two noun phrases "a dog of breed" and "a dog with breed" are used at all? grammatically they are correct, my problem is the usage, and the correct use of the preposition...

I've never heard either of those terms ever used. Either the type of breed is indicated.....it's a beagle, or you would say it's a "purebred" to indicate its 100% beagle. I can't think of any phrase that is used like the ones you are saying.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    What you may be thinking of is the phrase "a breed of dog." For example: "Beagles are a popular breed of dog." Or "What breed of dog do you own?" "A beagle."

Of course, since I have 2 Shetland Sheepdogs, I would use that breed of dog in my sentences. ;)
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."