Options

Little awareness for Boston's "last stop"?

lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,005
edited June 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
FYI.. this is NOT another "Boston is better than your city thread"...

I have to admit feeling about the 6/30/08 tour closer as as I did before Boston 3 (7/11/03)..

everyone knew that was going to be an incredible show but there was very little "hype" on the message board before it happened.

You could easily bag a ticket to the 7/11/03 show the day before online..

Now, once again, if the band picked any other city for this "last show" I would be posting these same thoughts:

1) Get your ass to this show come hell or high water.
2) Its is the last show of the Tour.. = long setlist!
3) It is (sadly) the 8 year annivesary of the Rokslide tragedy...there will be lots of emotion on stage.. (I have to believe we will get ARC)
4) "crown of thorns" has never been played in Boston (nuf said)
5) This is a great venue for tailgating and seeing a PJ show (the venue has great accoustics)

again... if there was one show to say "screw it.. I'm going".. as a hard core PJ fan... this is the one to "get to"...

Hope to see you all in the pahking lot...
"This here's a REQUEST!"
EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
10/25/13 Hartford
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    NH NFYNH NFY Posts: 23
    Can't wait!

Only shitty thing about the tailgating....I just heard from some friends at the Petty concert today...they're not letting people in until after 4:30.
    "We won't be playing an acoustic version of 'Blood' or anything..."
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    it will be good

but the beacon is the last show as of this moment
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    it will be good

It's the next day too. I hope they have enough energy for both back-to-back nights. :):D
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    pardon my ignorance, whats the beacon?
    Kansas City 1998, Kansas City 2000, EV- Santa Cruz 2008, EV- Berkeley #1 2008, EV- Berkeley #2 2008, Outside Lands 2009, Seattle #2 2009, Portland 2009, LA #3 2009, LA #4 2009, SD 2009, KC 2010, STL 2010, CBUS 2010, Indy 2010, Cle 2010, Buffalo 2010, Boston 2010, Newark 2010, MSG 1 2010, MSG 2 2010, PJ20 1 2011, PJ20 2 2011, Midtown 2012, Worcester 1 2013, Worcester 2 2013, OKC 2013, STL 2014, Tulsa 2014, Lincoln 2014.
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    tchiggs wrote:
    pardon my ignorance, whats the beacon?

It's a concert for charity to benefit the Robin Hood Foundation.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/05/29/pearl-jam-to-play-beacon-theatre-charity-event/

http://www.robinhood.org/
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    it will be good

It's not part of the tour.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    Danimal wrote:
    It's not part of the tour.

Hmmm....lets see. Band not at home...playing instruments on stage in front of people as part of a string of concerts on different dates...yeah i'd say that show is part of a tour.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    Hmmm....lets see. Band not at home...playing instruments on stage in front of people as part of a string of concerts on different dates...yeah i'd say that show is part of a tour.

Is it on the tour shirt?
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    Is it on the tour shirt?
    No, but its still part of the tour.

That being said - I think you're more likely to see a longer show at Boston then the Beacon only because they are playing for 20,000 fans as opposed to 2,800 for a charity event.

Don't get me wrong - I have a feeling the Beacon show is going to have some real surprises in there, but I still think Boston's second show will be soemthing else...
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,859
    boston is the end of the tour as such, will be a great night, but so will both shows...
    Ed has said that quite often the 2nd last night is usually better than the last...
    we will see. It could mean that boston 1 is great, and 2 not so great but still amazing, or that boston 2 is amazing, and the beacon is not quite as amazing, but i think the beacon will seriously ROCK!! as will boston
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    NH NFYNH NFY Posts: 23
    Mcam55 wrote:
    I was there for REM on friday and we started tailgating a little before 4 and there was people that arrived even earlier. I always thought they opened the parking lots around 2 or 3.

I've been there at noon in the past...even just 2 weeks ago for STP. Part of the fun of the Tweeter Center is that you could get there as early as you want and get it going! Hopefully, this hasn't changed for good!
    "We won't be playing an acoustic version of 'Blood' or anything..."
  • Options
    ndv180ndv180 Posts: 80
    Back in '05, the band did a Hurricane Katrina benefit in Chicago 2 days after the last stop of the scheduled tour (which was Philadelphia). There's no doubt that the Philly gig was given a special setlist, etc. and EV even mentions that it feels like the last night of the tour (check the tapes!).
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    locked wrote:
    FYI.. this is NOT another "Boston is better than your city thread"...

I have to admit feeling about the 6/30/08 tour closer as as I did before Boston 3 (7/11/03)..

everyone knew that was going to be an incredible show but there was very little "hype" on the message board before it happened.

You could easily bag a ticket to the 7/11/03 show the day before online..

Now, once again, if the band picked any other city for this "last show" I would be posting these same thoughts:

1) Get your ass to this show come hell or high water.
    2) Its is the last show of the Tour.. = long setlist!
    3) It is (sadly) the 8 year annivesary of the Rokslide tragedy...there will be lots of emotion on stage.. (I have to believe we will get ARC)
    4) "crown of thorns" has never been played in Boston (nuf said)
    5) This is a great venue for tailgating and seeing a PJ show (the venue has great accoustics)

again... if there was one show to say "screw it.. I'm going".. as a hard core PJ fan... this is the one to "get to"...

Hope to see you all in the pahking lot...

Coming from southern ontario, for hartford and boston 1 and 2, see everyone there.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options

Nope. It's a bene concert.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,925
    BeerBaron wrote:
    After the Mansfield shows in '03, isn't it safe to assume that there is going to be a STRICT 11:00 curfew of the Boston shows?

Nahh.....they've broke it before, and they'll do it again if they have to.

At least I hope they do. If not, they better kick Ted Leo off the stage and start at 8pm.
  • Options
    vitodacatvitodacat Posts: 470
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    beacon doesn't count. they are not playing for fans. they are playing with those who have money. For a good cause I know, but still, it is for those who have money.

I will be there + I am a fan = they are playing for fans

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0003

wont let the light escape from me
    wont let the darkness swallow me
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    why oh why does everything end up as an oh yeah it will be oh no it won't be ,as it stands the best show of the tour just happened last night at the roooooooooooooo believe me that set list won't get topped at any upcoming venue at all you can bank on that ,will we get great shows no doubt but not one set list will come close to that ,so people don't get to hyped up like you will see set list like that any time soon ......that was for a special night ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    why oh why does everything end up as an oh yeah it will be oh no it won't be ,as it stands the best show of the tour just happened last night at the roooooooooooooo believe me that set list won't get topped at any upcoming venue at all you can bank on that ,will we get great shows no doubt but not one set list will come close to that ,so people don't get to hyped up like you will see set list like that any time soon ......that was for a special night ...

Did you go? If you did...rock on! That was an incredible set list!

• Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,005

Boston accepts that challenge!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    grooveamaticgrooveamatic Posts: 1,374

If last night proves anything it's that--as always--this is an unpredictable band on an unprecictable tour. You say the roo can;t be topped, but what if they open Columbia with 'I've Got a Feeling', unveil 'Otherside' and 'Strangest Tribe' in the main set, open the first encore with 'No Way' abd close the first encore with 'Release', open the second encore with 'Leash' and close the show thusly: Alive-->Smile-->Indifference. And sprinkled throughout the set is 'Present Tense', 'Rival', 'I'm Open' and 'Black Red Yellow'. Would that top Bonaroo? Cause that shit's possible this tour. Unlikely as all hell, but possible. We can never think we know what this band is going to do.
  • Options
    If last night proves anything it's that--as always--this is an unpredictable band on an unprecictable tour. You say the roo can;t be topped, but what if they open Columbia with 'I've Got a Feeling', unveil 'Otherside' and 'Strangest Tribe' in the main set, open the first encore with 'No Way' abd close the first encore with 'Release', open the second encore with 'Leash' and close the show thusly: Alive-->Smile-->Indifference. And sprinkled throughout the set is 'Present Tense', 'Rival', 'I'm Open' and 'Black Red Yellow'. Would that top Bonaroo? Cause that shit's possible this tour. Unlikely as all hell, but possible. We can never think we know what this band is going to do.

That would be one ridiculous set list!!

• Options
    swallowedwordsswallowedwords Posts: 1,093
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    beacon doesn't count. they are not playing for fans. they are playing with those who have money. For a good cause I know, but still, it is for those who have money.

I'm a fan and I'm going
    Free the West Memphis Three
    www.wm3.org

Ron Paul 2012
  • Options
    grooveamaticgrooveamatic Posts: 1,374
    Danimal wrote:
    That would be one ridiculous set list!!

But I think Bonaroo says this kind of setlist is possible!
  • Options
    Danimal wrote:
    Nope. It's a bene concert.

yes 1 day after the boston show

i think we can add that to the tour

they arent going home and then coming back to play theshow
  • Options
    SOLAT319 wrote:

when do they ever play for free??

and yes they are playing for fans ,,quite a few of us will be there

not to mention the other people in attendance are there to se them
  • Options
    riffrandallriffrandall Posts: 685
    I will not disagree that it will be an incredible set list & I can't wait for the shows...

And I could be wrong about this, but as much as I'd love to hear "Arc", wasn't that a 'one-and-done' kind of thing? I was under the impression that it was a special tribute to the people who died, played that exact number of times in memory of each of the victims, and because of that was not included on the '03 boots. I'm not betting it's one of the songs that has been worked up for the tour.

As I said, though, I could be wrong.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    yes 1 day after the boston show

i think we can add that to the tour

they arent going home and then coming back to play theshow

I don't see it listed anywhere under the tour section?

• Options
    Danimal wrote:
    I don't see it listed anywhere under the tour section?

it isnt listed anywhere on the website period
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    I will not disagree that it will be an incredible set list & I can't wait for the shows...

And I could be wrong about this, but as much as I'd love to hear "Arc", wasn't that a 'one-and-done' kind of thing? I was under the impression that it was a special tribute to the people who died, played that exact number of times in memory of each of the victims, and because of that was not included on the '03 boots. I'm not betting it's one of the songs that has been worked up for the tour.

As I said, though, I could be wrong.

well ... as far as it being part of the songs being worked on for the tour ... Ed performs it on his own with a looping machine, which, he did many times on his solo tour (pretty moving stuff). So, I'd say he's practiced it enough to pull it off ... intersting theory about 6/30, we'll see.

As for the Beacon, who gives a shit if the Beacon is "part of the tour" or not ... jesus, why does everything have to be a pissing contest?
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    well ... as far as it being part of the songs being worked on for the tour ... Ed performs it on his own with a looping machine, which, he did many times on his solo tour (pretty moving stuff). So, I'd say he's practiced it enough to pull it off ... intersting theory about 6/30, we'll see.

As for the Beacon, who gives a shit if the Beacon is "part of the tour" or not ... jesus, why does everything have to be a pissing contest?

hey man not my fault