The World's First Test Tube Burger

mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
edited November 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
http://www.delish.com/food/recalls-revi ... laboratory

i'll have a petri-patty-melt please

With all the frenzy that Thanksgiving brought, this may have been the news story that fell through the cracks. Reuters reports that hamburgers will soon be made in a petri dish. Yes, you heard us right. Scientists at the University of Maastricht in the Netherlands are trying to figure out how to produce meat in a laboratory to solve world hunger.

It is expected that the first lab-grown meat will be ready sometime in the next 12 months, but it won’t come cheap. Mark Post, a vascular biologist on the research team, told Reuters it would cost roughly 250,000 euros (around $345,000) for the first man-made burger.

What is it exactly? According to Reuters, “In-vitro or cultured meat is a real animal flesh product, just one that has never been part of a complete, living animal — quite different from imitation meat or meat substitutes aimed at vegetarians and made from vegetable proteins like soy.” The actual “meat” sounds and appears quite unappetizing. It’s colorless and doesn’t contain fat; it’s all muscle and lacks the flavor of meat. But Post is confident he will create something in his laboratory that will rival the real thing.
fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The actual “meat” sounds and appears quite unappetizing. It’s colorless and doesn’t contain fat; it’s all muscle and lacks the flavor of meat

This sounds disgusting. :sick:

Reminds me of the time that KFC (or some place like that?) was accused of cloning headless, featherless chicken-meat-like blobs of flesh.
    Obviously the KFC situation was a total myth, but people bought it.

Seriously.
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    How are they planning to end world hunger with this product if it is so expensive to produce? For the cost of this I think they could probably just fly a bunch of 747's loaded with Big Macs to the hungry people.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    That's Nasty, there was a article i read last year about a japanese sceintists who made ediable food out of human waste, this reminds me of that. :sick: <--finally get to use this smiley.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Makes that kobe beef burger I once wasted money on seem cheap.
  • I don't think it would always be so expensive--I'm guessing the research and development was extremely costly. The majority of those costs should disappear once it is mass produced...

BUT

My vote is: just feed the hungry normal fucking food. I can't see any reason why this would be a better alternative.
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,716
    One simple word: YUK!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.