I'm breaking up with my wife

diego92diego92 Posts: 38
edited November 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Hi guys, just like to subject says, I’m breaking up with my wife and I feel really bad. We’ve been together for more than 8 years, married almost 4. She’s the woman of my life, for sure.

It all started to fall down on February, when an in vitro treatment failed. She took it pretty bad and didn’t want to try again. We had been trying to have a child for 5 years.
Then, she slowly get into a personal crisis. She left her job, went visit her parents for 3 weeks. And met someone else over there, 700 miles away from our home. When she came back, things started to go down.

I only notice about her other relation two months later. We talked about it, decided to try to move forward and work things out. She started therapy. But her crisis went worse. She blames herself for not been able to give me a son (I don’t blame her!), says she doesn’t have any real achievement in life, no job, nothing to be proud of. Plus, she’s far away from her home town, where all her family and friends still are. She feels lonely and lost. I knew the idea to go back to her home town was in her head.

A couple of weeks ago I realize her other relation was still going on. They were still in contact, by sms and email. And that was too much for me. This past Monday I told her I can’t stand she having another man. I love her like hell but I can’t. I ask her for some time and I took some distance. And I let her know that if we are ever going to try to work things out, her other relation must be completely over.
We are living together but won’t be for long.

She doesn’t want me to leave our home, says it’s not fair. She says is she who must leave. I know is not gonna be long until she leaves to her home town.

And I can’t do anything about it. I’ve been telling her all I fell for her for the last three months. I’ve been open as never before and I know I reached her. She says she loves me too, that I’m the love of her life, that she can’t imagine life without me. But she can’t end her other relationship, says she’s confused and that she feels empty and that there’s nothing for her here, in our town. I know she’s gonna leave.

And I’m broken. It hurts as hell. I’m going to therapy since last week and it helps, but this is too much. I don’t know how to go on, I can’t believe I’m losing her.

Sorry guys for the long email, but I needed to ease myself. Thanks for being there.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,716
    Very sorry to hear about this, diego92. Wishing you the best. This is a great place to seek comfort and friendship so good job posting here.
    Hang in there.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,316
    Very sorry to hear about this.

It sounds like you have done a lot of thinking about this and have picked the best option for you at this time. Stay strong but don't be afraid to let the people around you help you out.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    brutal

it sounds like your wife has some self esteem issues that she is compensating by having an affair with another man ...

it's gonna get a lot worse before it gets any better ... just know that it is ok to feel sad and angry and frustrated and depressed and everything else ...
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I feel for you...I really do and I know it sucks. :(
  • brianlux wrote:
    Very sorry to hear about this, diego92. Wishing you the best. This is a great place to seek comfort and friendship so good job posting here.
    Hang in there.

Couldn't said it better brainlux! Thoughts are with you at this difficult time diego92, try to stay strong (I know it's easier said than done). Wishing you peace of mind!
    Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - May 27, 2006; Madison Square Garden - Jun 24, 2008; Madison Square Garden - Jun 25, 2008; Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 27, 2009; Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 27, 2009; Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 28, 2009; Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 30, 2009; Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 31, 2009; The Prudential Center - May 18, 2010; Madison Square Garden - May 21, 2010

Tres MTS. - Gramercy - Mar 26, 2011
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    So sorry to hear this. When you say 'our town', is it 'your' town or someplace you both chose to live? To me it seems your wife is homesick, missing family & friends. Naturally, the unsuccessful IVF has also taken it's toll on her. She seems to feel the 'guilty party'. Not just for the affair but for 'not being able to give you a son', etc. Has some kind of depression sunk in? The affair is just a 'symptom' of things. A link to her home town with all it represents?

You both seem to love each other and that is the sad bit. Do you know/get on with her family/friends? Would a visit there as a couple help?

I really hope you both can work it out.
  • So very sorry:( Brianlux is spot on though. We're here for you when you need us. Wishing you well my friend
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • there is no need for apologies of anything!! we are here to support you my friend!!

if posting your thoughts or other thing here keeps you strong or make you feel a little better, DONT stop doing it!
    like i said before, we are here to support you in this difficult time you are having, just keep strong and dont give up on..
    A big hug, and greetings from Buenos Aires..
  • Wow I’m surprised by so many answers so fast. But it looks like brianlux has it right: this is great place to seek comfort and friendship.
    Thank you all for your support, you’ve moved me. Thank you.
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Have you thought about joint counselling?

Anyway, good luck and hope it all works out for both of you.
  • Also thanks for giving me your opinion and thoughts, is always good to have a different point of view.
    redrock wrote:
    So sorry to hear this. When you say 'our town', is it 'your' town or someplace you both chose to live? To me it seems your wife is homesick, missing family & friends. Naturally, the unsuccessful IVF has also taken it's toll on her. She seems to feel the 'guilty party'. Not just for the affair but for 'not being able to give you a son', etc. Has some kind of depression sunk in? The affair is just a 'symptom' of things. A link to her home town with all it represents?

You both seem to love each other and that is the sad bit. Do you know/get on with her family/friends? Would a visit there as a couple help?

I really hope you both can work it out.

redrock, "our town" is actually my town. Is Buenos Aires, the biggest city of Argentina. She came here 10 years ago to go to college and we meet here. At the beginning of our relationship she told me she was about to go back but decided to stay because of me. Somehow I always knew this would be an issue sometime.

And I’m close to her family (as close as you can be seen each other a couple of times a year) and I know her friends, they are all good people. But I don’t know if going there together would help. Don’t think she’s just homesick, not to the point of helping it by visiting them a couple of weeks.

I think I have to let her go, let her clear up her mind and see what happens next. I hope she realizes she miss me and wants to come back but at this point is just a hope. But it’s hard to let go someone you love. And I know I risk losing her for good, but I don’t see any other way out.
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    sorry for your problem. it sounds to me like there are depression problems here,amid a few others. having an affair is not okay on any level. but it seems more than that. stay strong and maybe get some therapy for yourself just to be able to express your thoughts and a little knowledge too. things in life happen for a reason. hopefully one day you will be able to look back on this in a positive way. if down the road you meet someone else and start a family it will all have been for a reason. feel for you as it is not easy going down this road.
    diego92 wrote:
    At the beginning of our relationship she told me she was about to go back but decided to stay because of me. Somehow I always knew this would be an issue sometime.

Often is....

I'm still thinking this not to be able to have a child tipped her over the scale. You rightly said that she 'got into a personal crisis'. She seems to think she is a failure. I guess you guys must have been really wanting a family and it was such a focus of your lives for so many years that when it didn't happen, her world sort of crumbles. Maybe she thinks she is not 'worthy' of you (no job, no child, etc.) and can't make you as happy as she would like and Buenos Aires might just remind her of her 'failures' every hour of the day.

As Claireack said, counselling... this might help. At least help both of you to get your thoughts and feelings in some kind of order in your heads.

I do hope losing each other is not the only option for you two.
  • Keep your head up! Things will all work out in the end :)
  • This breaks my heart. :( Thinking of you...

You wrote that you're close with her family and friends. Do they know about your problems? Could you get them involved in some way?

That IVF ordeal really hit her hard. And I agree with what's been said by other posters here, that affair is a symptom, a flight reaction, a way to get some distance from real life. Leaving you and moving back to her home town will not solve her problems, I'm afraid. This goes way deeper.

Wishing you all the best. And whatever the outcome, you'll be a stronger person after all this.
  • I was really moved by your story...

This helps me much when im down... remind yourself that " nunca es mas oscura la noche que cuando va a amanecer"

Lots of love from Costa Rica!!
    I became insane withlong intervals of horrible sanity... Edgar Allan Poe.
  • Claireack wrote:

Didn’t talk about it because her problems are more personal problems than couple problems. But I thought about it. We did it last year due to our non-child issues and it helped, it bonded us. Now I don’t know if it would help.
    diego92 wrote:
    Claireack wrote:

Didn’t talk about it because her problems are more personal problems than couple problems. But I thought about it. We did it last year due to our non-child issues and it helped, it bonded us. Now I don’t know if it would help.

It's worth a try. She may have personal problems but these impact on your couple, so they do become a 'couple' problem. Sometimes just being able to speak out loud to a third party, hearing your own words, can make your thoughts a bit clearer and help the partner understand.
  • Juan Godoy wrote:
    there is no need for apologies of anything!! we are here to support you my friend!!

if posting your thoughts or other thing here keeps you strong or make you feel a little better, DONT stop doing it!
    like i said before, we are here to support you in this difficult time you are having, just keep strong and dont give up on..
    A big hug, and greetings from Buenos Aires..

Thank you Juan! I'm sure you werein La Plata too, what a show!
  • redrock wrote:
    diego92 wrote:
    Claireack wrote:

It's worth a try. She may have personal problems but these impact on your couple, so they do become a 'couple' problem. Sometimes just being able to speak out loud to a third party, hearing your own words, can make your thoughts a bit clearer and help the partner understand.

I know it's worth a try. Counselling or anything else. I've been trying to works things out for 3 months and I would keep doing it, but I don't see the same effort from her side.
    Plus, she doesn't end her other relationship. And there has to be a limit. How can we try to save our relationship while she's having another one? Believe me, I tried to do it but I can’t any more. I can't stand it anymore.

My thought was that by puting our relationship on hold, I would force her to make a decision, a move or something. Anything. She’s lost in her problems, can’t make up her mind about me or the other, her home town or our current town, and I think she would keep like that forever. I had to do something, even knowing that I risk her choosing something I don’t want her to.

I’m going home in a few minutes. Get back to you tomorrow and let you know how it goes. But right now, I just want to thank you all. You’ve helped me go through the day. Thank you, you’re great.
  • Wilderness wrote:
    I was really moved by your story...

This helps me much when im down... remind yourself that " nunca es mas oscura la noche que cuando va a amanecer"

Lots of love from Costa Rica!!

Thank you Wildernes!! I think I didn't get to the darker hour of the night yet, but I know what you mean.

I have nothing but for Costa Rica. I spend a month traveling your country in 2003 and it was great, some of the best times of my life.

Pura vida!!!!
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    I'm so sorry that your going through this mate, your story brought a tear to my eye. I think sometimes a break can actually be the best option, almost refreshing for the relationship although it doesn't feel that way at the time. :( Sometimes it gives you both time to evaluate what you both want without all the tension. I really hope you guys work it out because it seems like se has just lost her way a little but still loves you very much. I DO believe people change and grow with time and I think maybe this other relationship is just a brief way to escape.
    Best of luck to you both.
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,053
    So sorry to read this

But seems to me youve done what you had to do. If she wants two guys running together that's unfair and I'm
    Sure you deserve better.

It will hurt for sometime man, but it will ease up.

Take care of yourself
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    love sure kicks the shit out of us. there's nothing like a broken heart. damn that bites hard.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • So sorry and sad to read about this. It sounds like you both really love each other, and that is the real bummer here - two people who clearly love each other, but who are struggling anyway.

To me, it seems like your wife is just really, really confused. For many women, having children is really important...and if they can't or don't have them for some reason, they feel like failures...or that they have missed an important part of life. I think your wife was just trying to escape her pain when she had this affair - she loves you...but you remind her of her 'failure' (even though it's not a failure, of course) and it is easier to just stay distracted by this other guy....sort of like a small child with a new toy.

Of course, it is not my place to say, but I don't think you should give up hope. Where there is love, there is hope...and maybe if you give her some time to deal with her personal issues, she might get some clarity and realize that her best friend (you) is still there for her.

I wish you all the luck in the world, and really hope it works out for you two.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    tell your wife to end her relationship with this other guy or youre out of there. or simpky tell her because she has been unwilling to end it then she needs to leave. harsh?? i dont think so. if as youve said shes made no effort to end the affair then why should you stay in a situation where trust has been broken. she needs to know that even though you understand the trauma shes going through, you will not tolerate her sleeping with and finding solace with another man. its that simple. it comes down to who she wants to be with. dont dither on this.. cause all the while youre doing that shes having her cake and eating it too. her actions are crushing you. and that isnt fair.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • so sorry for this...
    i wish u the best....Love is the way to go Diego....what ever color will have for u and your wife...
    ...what ever path will take..
    hope you be out of this stronger..and enjoy life..think positive..
    you never know what the sunrise will bring to you..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I'm sorry you and your wife are having problems. The pain and heartache about trying to concieve can bring a couple closer together or it can break them apart.

I have seen it both ways with friends of mine...

I hope the two of you can work things out.
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    Sorry to hear this Diego. It sounds like you both love each other, I second the suggestion about trying out counseling for the both of you, not separately. I think it helps to have an objective party facilitate a discussion between two people in an extremely emotional situation. You may end up at the same place with her wanting to move out anyway, but I think it's worth a shot and I think it's important for you to resolve any questions about ths situation that you might have before she leaves if that ends up being the result. I recently had to facilitate such a discussion. I'm not a professional but it seemed to help both individuals at least understand each other's point of views a bit better.

Giant hug to you.
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Really sorry to hear this, but there is so much good advice for you to consider.

Wishing you the very best as you work to sort it all out...
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)