Dustin Hoffman's advice to artists

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited November 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Check out this interview of Dustin Hoffman on Actors Studio, specifically from 12:19 to the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpEkiP1OA0A

i recommend you all check out the full interview, and any of the others on youtube. so inspiring.

but im wondering if anyone can sort of unpack what he says at the end of this clip:
heres my transcribing of it: basically a student asks him, why are you an actor why do you do what you do. And Dustin says, i dont know why exactly but i have to do it. It has nothing to do with success, i'd be doing it (acting) even if i wasnt famous, i'd be in a community theater or teaching acting at a school.

Next he says: Go and be led. Especially if you are in your twenties, which is expect many of you are. i tell my kids its a question mark decade in a sense. And we are told we are expected to know what we want to do. And its a terrible thing. What are you going to do? What are you going to be how can you make money doing that? Im paying for your college so you gotta know. No No No, its your question mark. Your never going to have that luxury again of not knowing, and it is a luxury to not know. You can play. You must do that, you must. Its your only way to not go crazy. Meaning if your gonna wait for the job, you will die.

So interpretations of what he said? I fully agree with him on what he;s saying but Specifically im refering to the final part, waiting for the job, if you wait for the job, you die. What does he mean by that?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments