Things you just don't...."Get"

Comments

• yellowwho wrote:
    Someone I know was telling me about an article they read about kids in school having trouble in english class writing reports because they wanted to abbreviate everything because they were so use to texting. They say technology is supposed to make things easier but at the same time its making people forget how to have normal conversations with each other.

Even worse than abbreviating everything is alternative spelling and adding extra letters.

E.g. "It's take yerr kid to werk day!"

"Boredd. TTC fer chatt."

"Like thiss and I'll like mi favv profile picc of yu."

"Besst birthdaay ever. Thankk yu fer all the birthdayy postss, love yu al. TTC."

On one hand, they're using abbreviations to shorten things (TTC = text to cell), but then they're throwing in extra letters (defeating the purpose of abbreviating other words) and are purposely misspelling words.

These are Facebook statuses of my 14-year-old cousin who is an A student and reads more than anyone I know, yet she makes herself look like an illiterate imbecile. :?
  • ogey38 wrote:
    The Kardashians - every one of them. Why does anyone even pay attention to them?

+1
    MayDay10 wrote:
    NASCAR (and other motor sports)

+1

Additionally, wrestling and skinny jeans and tight, deep v-necks.
  • yellowwhoyellowwho Posts: 1,661
    yellowwho wrote:
    Someone I know was telling me about an article they read about kids in school having trouble in english class writing reports because they wanted to abbreviate everything because they were so use to texting. They say technology is supposed to make things easier but at the same time its making people forget how to have normal conversations with each other.

Even worse than abbreviating everything is alternative spelling and adding extra letters.

E.g. "It's take yerr kid to werk day!"

"Boredd. TTC fer chatt."

"Like thiss and I'll like mi favv profile picc of yu."

"Besst birthdaay ever. Thankk yu fer all the birthdayy postss, love yu al. TTC."

On one hand, they're using abbreviations to shorten things (TTC = text to cell), but then they're throwing in extra letters (defeating the purpose of abbreviating other words) and are purposely misspelling words.

These are Facebook statuses of my 14-year-old cousin who is an A student and reads more than anyone I know, yet she makes herself look like an illiterate imbecile. :?

Well, you know regular words and spelling are old and boring, and to be honest just not cool enough anymore . :D

I want to make up my own language, so starting tomorrow I'm gonna use a new random made up word and see how that goes but I'm going to use it in a normal conversation and not through a text. My co workers are going to love me
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    I don't understand why completely bald men have full beards. I know it's a matter of their preference, but I really don't understand it.

Also, comb-overs. I know it's because they want to hold on to what hair they have, but I really don't understand how they think no one notices the hair loss and the side-parting.

Sorry for noticing those things, but I when I see it I always wonder about why they do it.
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • yellowwhoyellowwho Posts: 1,661
    Trying to predict the weather....it never works out. The weather guys on the local news should just do weather highlights like with sports. Yep, yesterday it rained....alot! Then nobody would be mad that the weather guy was wrong.

And also fried ice cream. I mean I like it but how the heck do they make it, I just don't get it..... Every time I try to make it the ice cream melts! :D
    yellowwho wrote:
    Trying to predict the weather....it never works out. The weather guys on the local news should just do weather highlights like with sports. Yep, yesterday it rained....alot! Then nobody would be mad that the weather guy was wrong.

And also fried ice cream. I mean I like it but how the heck do they make it, I just don't get it..... Every time I try to make it the ice cream melts! :D

Fried Soda Pop is another one...I just don't get it... :?
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    yellowwho wrote:

The ice cream is kept at extremely low temperatures, not the temperature ice cream is normally kept at, and probably a lot lower than the temperature you keep your home freezer at. I worked at a restaurant that made it, the balls of ice cream (they came in boxes already in balls) were hard and solid.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    yellowwho wrote:

The ice cream is kept at extremely low temperatures, not the temperature ice cream is normally kept at, and probably a lot lower than the temperature you keep your home freezer at. I worked at a restaurant that made it, the balls of ice cream (they came in boxes already in balls) were hard and solid.

Do you have to coat the ice cream in breading first? I remember someone explain something about rolling it in breading and then quickly deep-frying it... :think:
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    yellowwho wrote:

Do you have to coat the ice cream in breading first? I remember someone explain something about rolling it in breading and then quickly deep-frying it... :think:

The restaurant I worked at didn't use breading, we used a corn flake coating. I think they used an egg wash to make it stick, then roll it in corn flakes. And yeah, the frying is quick, seems like just a few seconds, just long enough to cook the outer coating.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    yellowwho wrote:

The restaurant I worked at didn't use breading, we used a corn flake coating. I think they used an egg wash to make it stick, then roll it in corn flakes. And yeah, the frying is quick, seems like just a few seconds, just long enough to cook the outer coating.

That's the secret!! The Cornflakes coating...that must make the fried ice cream taste like cereal!!! Now, I may be getting it. Thanks man! I guess I should try it sometime... :think:
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    why people walk in the street when there is a perfectly good sidewalk?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • why after laundry the clothes dont get iron alone and me need to do it..
    i think except kids the other reason me to get married is my woman sign a paper that will say that im not gonna iron any shit again..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • RaniRani Posts: 434
    why after laundry the clothes dont get iron alone and me need to do it..
    i think except kids the other reason me to get married is my woman sign a paper that will say that im not gonna iron any shit again..

Dimi, throw it in the dryer for a bit, that can help. ;)

Ironing is a pain in the ass. oh yeah.

All this talk about fried ice cream is making me hungry...:drool:
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    edited November 2011
    people who don't like or respect animals. Will never get it.

p.s. those people suck!
    Post edited by EmBleve on
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    Why some family are just knobs and are so unappreciative.

Oh and deep fried butter since we are on the topic of deep fried ice cream
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I don't understand why completely bald men have full beards. I know it's a matter of their preference, but I really don't understand it.

Also, comb-overs. I know it's because they want to hold on to what hair they have, but I really don't understand how they think no one notices the hair loss and the side-parting.

Sorry for noticing those things, but I when I see it I always wonder about why they do it.

^^^I found this to be funny...

the bald men with full beards are like the men with comb overs...they are just trying to hold onto whatever hair they actually do have :lol:

i just don't understand men with a cul-de-sac (horseshoe) of hair:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXdbAoQsDF3pj0X1gdHMqHI-Hlzi1PgRatzYzOeQT8hOrt0cT2XQ

and then they have that little hait tuft in the middle...kinda like this:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTN6DTl5ODop3OMYmf1iEERCnxqm1lf814jdzIVXQuxVrK5H03bAA

just shave everything off!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:

guess i need to shave. :(
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    RKCNDY wrote:

the bald men with full beards are like the men with comb overs...they are just trying to hold onto whatever hair they actually do have :lol:

I agree, but then again that's my preference. :mrgreen:
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

I would have thought you had a full head of hair? But going by your profile pic, you don't... :P :wave:
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

i didn't notice that you had the full on horseshoe.... :?

i can't find a pic of what I'm describing...I'll keep looking...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:

no, but the picture quoted shows a front end that is slipping away.

and you didn't notice, because i pretty much wore a hat all weekend...not becasue i was concerned about my hair slipping away, but because i felt like wearing a hat. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    RKCNDY wrote:

Had this same conversation with someone the other day...it's like the mullet...grow it out or chop it off, but make a decision!!!!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • I don't get why dancers try to act tough. There's nothing threatening about what they do.
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

no, but the picture quoted shows a front end that is slipping away.

and you didn't notice, because i pretty much wore a hat all weekend...not becasue i was concerned about my hair slipping away, but because i felt like wearing a hat. :lol:

ok...picture this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfRfKx62pzI2tRUieB8i6vvJkA83V10ZW3idQI13qQfcDAOqs5

and then teh little puff of hair in the second picture combined with the above hairline...
    I don't see it too often, but in my mind, I am :lol:

I did see your hair when you wanted to trade hats...I don't think you need to shave.

- Christopher McCandless
    ah ha....little different.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    ..how the direction of the rhododendron flower can predict a harsh or mild winter.
    edited November 2011
    Okay...please don't get angry about this one...if people like make-up, that's awesome for you!

I really don't understand wearing make-up. Really. I have worn it, and will wear it if is absolutely necessary. (Which is rarely.) However, for some reason when I wear it, I feel like the kid who has a pork chop tied around his neck so the dog will play with him. Does that make sense? :oops:

It's official. I am a :geek: :oops:
    Post edited by ShimmyMommy on
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    Oay...please don't get angry about this one...if people like make-up, that's awesome for you!

I really don't understand wearing make-up. Really. I have worn it, and will wear it if is absolutely necessary. (Which is rarely.) However, for some reason when I wear it, I feel like the kid who has a pork chop tied around his neck so the dog will play with him. Does that make sense? :oops:

It's official. I am not a :geek: :oops:
    i'm a guy so my opinion probably doesn't matter, but i hate when girls where a lot of make up... a little bit is ok i guess but when it's caked on, it just looks wrong..... like they're trying to be someone that they're not.

p.s. i'm not trying to offend anyone, this is just my opinion
    conman wrote:
    i'm a guy so my opinion probably doesn't matter, but i hate when girls where a lot of make up... a little bit is ok i guess but when it's caked on, it just looks wrong..... like they're trying to be someone that they're not.

p.s. i'm not trying to offend anyone, this is just my opinion

I think in this case, guys opinions matter. Aren't men why women wear it? See, I just don't get it. I can understand if you work in TV, movies or theatre, there is a purpose to it. But to wear it to get someone's attention, I really don't understand.

I even have a hard time wearing lipstick as bothers me because I can feel it. Yup, I am limited edition alright. :lol:
  • I think in this case, guys opinions matter. Aren't men why women wear it? See, I just don't get it. I can understand if you work in TV, movies or theatre, there is a purpose to it. But to wear it to get someone's attention, I really don't understand.

I even have a hard time wearing lipstick as bothers me because I can feel it. Yup, I am limited edition alright. :lol:

For the most part, I don't think women wear makeup for men or to gain attention. A lot of women just really like makeup and trying fun and new things with it. For others, it's a way to cover up blemishes or accentuate certain features (or create features for those with light eyebrows, eyelashes, etc). For others, it boosts their confidence and they feel they're looking their very best. For most women, it's not about guys or getting attention.

I'm not a makeup kind of girl. I may wear a little bit of mascara and lip gloss, but that's about it. However, I "get" why other women do.

I get where you're coming from, though, because what I don't get is the women who pile on their makeup to go to work or the grocery store as if they're on their way to a photo shoot or a night club. Like clothing, makeup should be situational, and even then, caked on makeup isn't hot.

How to Trick People Into Thinking You're Really Good Looking