**St. John's 9/24 Fanviews Here**

Comments

• they will play a few of the same songs.. bman,eflow,saveyou,smalltown, daughter possibly

bet you will get some good ones so be ready for a great set

I was about to say the same thing....same core as every set with some small differences
    Calgary 04-09-2005
    Edmonton 05-09-2005

"A Thousand Ports of light For the Newfoundland...Theres a Kinder gentler American Band"...EV 25/09/05
  • Sea wrote:
    Opening band: Wintersleep

Set list: Can't Keep, Go, Even Flow, Animal, Corduroy, Nothing As It Seems, Given To Fly, Grievance, Daughter/(Bad by U2/"hey ho, let it go"/WMA), Lukin, U, Present Tense, Don't Gimme No Lip (Stone lead vocals), Better Man/(Save It For Later by English Beat), Porch (slow tempo intro/short version), Save You

1st encore: Thumbing My Way, I Am Mine, Small Town, Black, Rearviewmirror

2nd encore: Whipping, Do The Evolution, Spin The Black Circle, Last Kiss, Leaving Here(before song Ed tells story about girl getting tickets and invites her up on stage), Alive, Baba O'Riley, Yellow Ledbetter
    Was the daughter tag "Bad" or "A Sort of Homecoming"? Because in Toronto I know Eddie played "A Sort of Homecoming" before "Small Town"
    RI 9/28/96; MSG 9/10/98; 2000: Want 8/23, 8/24 & 8/25; 2003: LI 4/30, LV 6/6, MSG 7/8 & 7/9, Mans 7/11, & Holm 7/14; 2005: Ott 9/16, Tor 9/19, AC 9/30 & 10/1, Phil 10/3; 2006: L.S. 5/4, IP 5/5, Alb 5/12, Bos 5/24, Cam 5/27 & 5/28, ER 6/1, ER 6/3, PIT 6/23, SF 7/18, Hon 12/9.
  • Great setlist, but I was expecting a bit more in one of these shows...I guess tomorrow night will be the special one...you Newfs are in for something incredible, hopefully Ed stays away from the Screech tonight and feels good tomorrow!!!
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead..."
  • ABSOLUTELY AMAZING.

This show was somehow better than I was hoping. To actually witness Pearl Jam live in person is an experience within itself. The stage and presentation was perfect. The lighting for the show fitted nicely, as it added to many of the songs.

Can't Keep as an opener was different. I was honestly hoping for something I was a little more familar with, but it was still great never the less. I was really pleased to hear Corduroy, Given To Fly, and Porch. Present Tense was done really well, starting with Ed and Mike alone under a spotlight. Don't Gimme No Lip was fun and different with Stone on lead vocals. Granted, he wasn't the best singer in the world, but it was still fun. Better Man and Porch back to back was awesome. I really love the way Eddie starts off Porch really slow and breaks into the song real heavy. Save You was sweet too, and lights that could blind ya!

The acoustic set of songs for the 1st encore were cool. Eddie was saying how much he loved the place and said that looking out his hotel room reminded of him being home in Seattle. He then broke into a nicely done, I Am Mine. Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in A Small Town was after that, and EVERYONE was into it, singing along. It was really great to see Black, one of my favorites, done. Followed by an intense version of Rearviewmirror.

Then they busted into the 2nd encore with a set of boomin' songs: Whipping, which was nice to hear, as I wasn't really expecting it. Do The Evolution, which had the place rocking, fittingly followed by Spin The Black Circle. Eddie then said they were gonna play the next one for the people in the back. Then the band directed their attention to behind the stage and played Last Kiss, in which Eddie ended up climbing a rope ladder and sang to the crowd. Eddie then told a nice story about a girl who got screwed out of tickets by her boyfriend who took this other chick. So Eddie's friend who met the girl, got her VIP passes, Eddie then brought her up on stage and the revenge was in order. He made some funny comments and then sang Leaving Here. Alive was a favorite and a traditional Pearl Jam mainstay. Ending with a back to back upalling jam of Baba O'Riley and a surreal version of Yellow Ledbetter, both with the lights on.

All I have to say is this was without a doubt, the best concert I have ever witnessed. Pearl Jam fucking brought down the house and everybody loved it. I've never been to a show before that had so much energy and enthusiasm. Well worth the cash for the memories alone.

Can't wait to do it all over again tomorrow night!
    "Admire me, admire my home,
    Admire my son, he's my clone.
    This land is mine, this land is free,
    I'll do what I want, yet irresponsibly.
    It's evolution baby..."
  • Shit .... Daughter with those tags alone is price of admission.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    MikeisGod wrote:
    When Eddie climbed the rafters during Last Kiss, it reminded be from back in the day.
    He climbed the rafters during Last Kiss?? I would have expected it during a more rocking song. :confused:
  • aNiMaL wrote:
    He climbed the rafters during Last Kiss?? I would have expected it during a more rocking song. :confused:

i had the same thought . . .
    Nice shirt.
  • The show is already up for download.
    "The very word 'secrecy' is repugnant in a free and open society; and we are as a people inherently and historically opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings."
    - J.F.K

"If you're not scared, I'm not doing my job."
    - Stephen Colbert
  • Anyone have any pics from the night? Sounds like it was quite a night!

m
  • yeah they could definately find a better way to close a show--

looks like the people at the show tonight were easy to please-- a lot of people would say this what somewhat of a generic set.. glad to see everyone enjoyed it so much

tomorrow's set will be better

dude you dont have to be such a prick about it, they had an awesome time, dont ruin there excitment
    "Pussies no more"
    "Johnny we miss, Pete your still the greatest"
  • mtrico wrote:
    Was the daughter tag "Bad" or "A Sort of Homecoming"? Because in Toronto I know Eddie played "A Sort of Homecoming" before "Small Town"

no offense, but doesn't it say Bad?
    ~It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not - ?~

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same -?~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    My baby, {{{CAN'T KEEP}}}!!!!! *faints* :o OMG! AHHHHHH!!! As the frickin opener and also STONEY singin again?!?! HOLY @##$#@$#!!!! Sounds like one hell of a show people!! :eek: I wasn't there but after seeing the set and reading these reviews I just had to voice my "Oh my frickin looooord" reaction! :eek: STONEY??! Again?!? Are you nuts?! Is this REALLY happening?? Damn PJ! YES!! I looooooooove it! :D
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • MikeisGod wrote:
    Camaras are aloud in.

Mine got taken by security. Had to get it after the show. So I never got back to merch table to get some stickers and the green shirt. :(
  • Sea wrote:
    Opening band: Wintersleep

Set list: Can't Keep, Go, Even Flow, Animal, Corduroy, Nothing As It Seems, Given To Fly, Grievance, Daughter/(Bad by U2/"hey ho, let it go"/WMA), Lukin, U, Present Tense, Don't Gimme No Lip (Stone lead vocals), Better Man/(Save It For Later by English Beat), Porch (slow tempo intro/short version), Save You
    1st encore: Thumbing My Way, I Am Mine, Small Town, Black, Rearviewmirror

2nd encore: Whipping, Do The Evolution, Spin The Black Circle, Last Kiss, Leaving Here(before song Ed tells story about girl getting tickets and invites her up on stage), Alive, Baba O'Riley, Yellow Ledbetter

wintersleep was definitely worth heading on into the show early for. i would recommend them to anyone. they rawk! nice to see a local canadian band open a pearl jam show in canada too!!

can't keep was a surprise as an opener but that's why i'm a fan...cause i like surprises!, and the setlist had a few. don't gimme no lip is such a fun, UP, tune. it's got Attitude! stone nailed it again. nice. always nice to get U and i am mine.

i'm a big fan of grievance so it was nice to hear that. the show had my favourite betterman tag(save it for later). porch was really short and i still am digging on the way they slowed down the opening chorus. sweet!

in the 1st set of encores the peak for me was black...during the ending part, with the crowd singing the dodododooooo parts ed did this great vocal improv that was magical....at least i think it was an improv cause i didn't recognize the words...anyways it was amazing!

the second set of encores had me doing the human pogo stick! yow!!
    even last kiss was ok ;)

the story and the girl ed brought up on stage, goes something like this...she had gone through a recent breakup and because of the breakup she now didn't have a pearl jam ticket because her ex had the pair and decided to take someone else! so ed was making fun of her ex and calling him a loser and stuff...it was really funny. hilarious! in the end she ends up with a back stage pass and then ed mentions he was going to set her up with one of the guys from wintersleep! lmfao! she was real cute too!

ed tried to blame, the almost 5 false starts on leaving here, on the band but he ended realizing that he was fucking up and not them! nice one ed! LOL

finally you ain't gonna close a PJ show any better than...Alive, Baba O'Riley, Yellow Ledbetter. period.

st john's is a beautiful city. ed mentioned george street at the show...it is something to check out(if you LOVE alcohol!). the whole city is "a buzz"

it's the biggest thing to hit the rawk in some time. 2 nights even!!

BEST BAND EVER
  • V VV V Posts: 5,191
    sounds like a great night, thanks for sharing

note to SEA do u mean "The Beat" ?? not English Beat !!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~ PINK FLUFFY LOVE PSYCHO~~~~~~~~~~
    Astoria,Dublin,Reading 06,Wembley 07,Sheapards Bush & o2 09 thats multiple Jamgasms!
  • I can't download this show and I know I'm not the only one, please Basecamp
    1996: Zürich - 2000: Zürich - 2006: Marseille, Paris & Berne
  • someone told me they are releasing bookleg videos?

i know about the bootleg recordinggs...but videos?

i was talking to someone who said there were cameras behind them last night?
    September 24th 2005
    September 25th 2005

I Am Mine-Small Town-Black-RVM
  • Don't they film every show?
  • ^^ they probally do

i'm just wondering if they are releasing any of the footage
    September 24th 2005
    September 25th 2005

I Am Mine-Small Town-Black-RVM
  • shareshare Posts: 551
    TimCNL wrote:
    Don't they film every show?

they've filmed every show that I've been to

I'm pretty sure I've seen them film shows before this tour as well
    we're all sentient snowflakes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm a number that doesn't count
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    the nothing ventured - the nothing feigned
  • That show rocked!!!! and winter sleep were very good as well. I'm new to this board (although I've been a fan of PJ since they started) and this is the first show I've been privledged enough to see and it was fantastic, I hope they come back again!!! Well I have to rest up for tonight ( 2 shows in 2 nights that is nuts) Thanks for dropping in PJ
    "Newfoundland was epic"

-Jeff A. Oct 2005

"Live from St. John's it Saturday Night!!!"

"I think of St. John's to keep me warm"

-Eddie V. Sept 2005

"yeah i kissed the fish"

-Stone G. Sept 2005 HAHA Stone is funny!!!
  • That show was awesome.
  • MikeisGod wrote:
    The band really seemed to be loving it and the last fucking encore was sick. When they went into Whipping I swear to God I lost my shit.

I found your shit, it was gross. If you want it back I can have that arranged.
  • I almost soiled myself... Fucking amazing show... my first one too, hopefully the first of many... The best was when Ed climbed the rope ladder... he was trashed, falling all over the place... crazy Vedder! Awesome show!!

As a veteran of most of the Boston shows since 1992, this was my first time seeing PJ in a foreign country...lol..I would say I almost soiled myself too when Ed started climbing that rope, it seemed like it was the early days then...lol...Set list kind of normal, but the 2nd night in the same venue usually
    is better! Perhaps Sunday we will hear Dirty Frank, and maybe Sweet Lew! yeah right, but I would bet on PJ performing a few songs never heard live before. The energy in this small venue tonight was awesome too!!

Need a few asprin, before I start the day all over again and prep for night 2!!

"back, and to the left, back and to the left, back and to the left...!"
  • celticbob wrote:
    Mine got taken by security. Had to get it after the show. So I never got back to merch table to get some stickers and the green shirt. :(

When I went thru security the guy asked me,"whats that in your pocket?"....so i said, "My camera"...he said "OK" and I walked into the building...

and it was my first show but compared to other bands I thought it was the best ever..loved it. But i know the elitists on this board will never be satisfied until they go to a show where they are the only ones who recognize any of the songs...lol
  • By the way, for those of you who took pictures, how did you go about smuggling in the camera? I'm thinking of just stuffing it in the crotch area.

Cameras are allowed. Don't crowd your pants. :)

Mahlon
  • Okay, so I cannot believe that i actually experienced what i did. So, I flew away to see them a couple of years ago in Toronto and my life was changed. But last night, the show...the music...the people, everything was amazing. The set list and the energy from the band have affected me. I've seen some good concerts but they are a distant memory.
    As Eddie said, "Live From St. John's, it's Saturday Night" !!!!!!!!!
  • So where are the pictures?!

Man, reading this is getting me so pumped for Philly.
    We had wonderful times... but terrible timing...
  • Wow...that...was...intense.

What an incredible night last night with an amazing setlist to boot. I can't wait for tonight. I'm hoping for Footsteps, Indifference and Low Light. Crazy Mary, I Believe in Miracles would be incredible, as well. I'm still suprised with the ease at which Ed got to his feet after his face plant during Baba.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I never EVER thought my favourite band would visit our little province.

I'll post some pics Monday or Tuesday after the whole weekend is over.
  • maybe eddie will do a backflip into the crowd in philly.......thatd be cool
    ************EVENFLOW PSYCHO#41************

http://www.powdermag.com/features/news/jackson-hole-tram/index.html

Make sure you pay a visit to the Tram before it goes......