Suing over turbulence? C'mon!!!!!

elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,367
edited October 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
http://overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/_news/ ... turbulence

Don't know whats worse.......the person suing or the greedy lawyer who took on the case......
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    slap her
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Not saying she is going to win, but I do think she has a case.

Having experienced bad turbulence it is a terrifying thing.

If a 20 minute flight took 2 hours and had to consider emergency landings then that flight should never have been in the air. (especially if the weather report was warning of tornadoes)

That is oversight on the part of the airline.

Now I despise frivolous lawsuits, but I'm not too certain this one is frivolous.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,150
    Seems like a valid suit to me.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    don't you remember the woman who sued over the "hot coffee" from McDonald's? And this was even before we ever heard of iced coffee!
  • :thumbdown:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,150
    :thumbdown:
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

Sitting in a plane for 2 hours in tornado like conditions sounds pretty terrible. If an airline cannot make decisions based on safety instead of profit, they deserve to compensate the passengers.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    This lawsuit is absurd.
    As a frequent flyer (around twice a week for work) this is one of the dumbest lawsuits I've seen.

While an airline has the authority to ground planes due to storms, ultimately the air traffic controllers gave the pilots the ok to take off.
    Turbulence is the reason for less than 1% of any airline incident/crash. It can also occur on any flight even in the most perfect weather. I have been through horrible turbulence before on many flights, and nobody should blame the airline, the pilot or anyone for it other than mother nature. While it's not fun, you WON'T die!
    Not only that, but once in the air, the pilot or the airline has no say as to when that plane lands. That is controlled by ATC on the ground who adhere to FAA regulations. Again, not the airline's or the pilot's...who work for the airline fault.

Mental "trauma" can be applied to anything then going forward.

If she wins this suit, it's going to set a nasty precedent, that will ultimately effect all of us going forward.
    Delays and cancellations will skyrocket. If there is a low pressure system on any part of the flight path, you're going to get a delay or cancelled flight. Pilots radio in when unexpected turbulence happens...even in good weather. As this happens, and with the potential threat of a lawsuit, they will delay or cancel the flight.

Consider the airlines who are already on the brink of bankruptcy (American Airlines, others). They start cancelling flights due to nonsense like this, and they lose hundreds of thousands of dollars a day.

She's trying to make money and if she wins, we all lose.
  • mca47 wrote:
    This lawsuit is absurd.
    As a frequent flyer (around twice a week for work) this is one of the dumbest lawsuits I've seen.

While an airline has the authority to ground planes due to storms, ultimately the air traffic controllers gave the pilots the ok to take off.
    Turbulence is the reason for less than 1% of any airline incident/crash. It can also occur on any flight even in the most perfect weather. I have been through horrible turbulence before on many flights, and nobody should blame the airline, the pilot or anyone for it other than mother nature. While it's not fun, you WON'T die!
    Not only that, but once in the air, the pilot or the airline has no say as to when that plane lands. That is controlled by ATC on the ground who adhere to FAA regulations. Again, not the airline's or the pilot's...who work for the airline fault.

Mental "trauma" can be applied to anything then going forward.

If she wins this suit, it's going to set a nasty precedent, that will ultimately effect all of us going forward.
    Delays and cancellations will skyrocket. If there is a low pressure system on any part of the flight path, you're going to get a delay or cancelled flight. Pilots radio in when unexpected turbulence happens...even in good weather. As this happens, and with the potential threat of a lawsuit, they will delay or cancel the flight.

Consider the airlines who are already on the brink of bankruptcy (American Airlines, others). They start cancelling flights due to nonsense like this, and they lose hundreds of thousands of dollars a day.

She's trying to make money and if she wins, we all lose.

This is what I was trying to say with my thumbs down post earlier!
  • Aren't frivolous lawsuits
    the backbone of
    the American economy?
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
    If she wins, I'm going to sue my car company the second my car starts to skid in the snow.
    "Fuck it, that was close, and now I'm scared and can't get back into my car. The car company shouldn't allow a car to be made and sold to the public that will slide in the snow....I now have mental trauma."

Same thing the next time I'm on a bus that has to come to an abrupt halt. I'm going to sue the bus company for endangering my life...I now have mental trauma.

SCORE! :lol:
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    If she wins, I'm going to sue New Line Cinema for making me see Kathy Bates topless in About Schmidt. :shock: :sick:

There should have been a giant warning on the movie poster and also on a lead-in into the film like when they warn you about graphic drug use and rape scenes.
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    No one forced her to get on that plane. She could have taken a later flight.

I haven flown thru some bad turbulence.
  • Wilds wrote:
    Not saying she is going to win, but I do think she has a case.

Having experienced bad turbulence it is a terrifying thing.

If a 20 minute flight took 2 hours and had to consider emergency landings then that flight should never have been in the air. (especially if the weather report was warning of tornadoes)

That is oversight on the part of the airline.

Now I despise frivolous lawsuits, but I'm not too certain this one is frivolous.

I agree.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i don't see the problem....i enjoy a little turbulence....yeeeehaw :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Mr. T was scared shitless to fly, and there was often terrible conditions while they were in the air. He ain't never sued anybody, fool.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    http://overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/10/11/8274491-woman-sues-airline-over-extreme-turbulence

Don't know whats worse.......the person suing or the greedy lawyer who took on the case......
    article said it happened 2 years ago

says she can't fly since and has nightmares... PTSD ... this is life changing

I guess if she can prove they should not have been in the air and are at fault

she's got a case ... not as far fetched as some lawsuits
  • pandora wrote:
    http://overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/10/11/8274491-woman-sues-airline-over-extreme-turbulence

Fair enough, I'm sure her attorney will have no problem harrasing the other parties until they just settle to make her go away.....
    81 wrote:
    i don't see the problem....i enjoy a little turbulence....yeeeehaw :lol:

I actually do too. I think it's kinda fun!
    Except when people around you start throwing up! :shock:

I have lots of stories but one that was pretty disgusting...
    I was on a flight from Vegas to Phoenix (for work). There had been some pretty strong monsoon storms in the southwest the last couple of days. I'm waiting for my flight when this big fat guy sits down across from me. In a matter of 3 minutes he proceeds to eat (more like inhale) a Big Mac, fries, and a coke. We get on the plane, and fatty sits across the aisle from me. Pilots tell us its going to be bumpy the entire way. We get up to altitude, the flight attendants start to serve drinks when they are told to sit down due to turbulence. The remaining 40 minutes of the flight were nasty. The plane was dropping so much that the ice in my cup got airborn, suspended in the air for a second or two and then came crashing down. Books, iPads, ice, cups, anything that wasn't belted down was flying all around the cabin. The fat man across the aisle started to turn white, then green. The poor guy next to him looked at me and was horrified. We scrambled to find him a barf bag just in time. The guy fills up the entire bag! He wasn't done!! He then fills up a second bag. Now, this guy who has a barf bag in each hand is trying to hold onto them for dear life. As things were "floating" around the cabin and then bouncing off of people I kept picturing him letting go of one of those bags!!! :shock: A bunch of other people got sick too. Just the smell of the Big Mac vomit was getting me sick...and I don't get motion sickness! The plane lands basically sideways on the runway (didn't know a plane could even do that!!) and the entire plane smelled of vomit. It would have been fun had it not stunk and the fear of getting covered in vomit! :lol: A couple people who weren't belted in right away (like they were told to do) hit their heads on the ceiling/wall and had to go to the ER.
    I had no problems with it as....planes don't crash due to turbulence. Had those guys belted in like they were told, they would have been fine too. :D
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    pandora wrote:

Fair enough, I'm sure her attorney will have no problem harrasing the other parties until they just settle to make her go away.....
    probably

do the airlines have insurance to cover this kind of thing?