Dog lies by master's casket during funeral...

MSnider44MSnider44 Posts: 746
edited August 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Oh my God, that is heartbreaking.

What a good dog... :(
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • :cry:
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Those brave people. So sad and the picture really drives it home.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    ...and some 'experts' say dogs can't show emotion.

:(
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I remember stories from the earthquake in Japan where dogs were lying in the rubble on top of where their homes used to be. Somehow they found their way home after that mess. It is incredible.

And as far as the soldiers go, I remember seeing a picture of young woman laying on the grave of her fiance - talk about heartbreaking.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    saw this yesterday...dogs constantly amaze me

it reminded me of this
    In 1924, Hidesaburō Ueno, a professor in the agriculture department at the University of Tokyo, took in Hachikō as a pet. During his owner's life, Hachikō greeted him at the end of each day at the nearby Shibuya Station. The pair continued their daily routine until May 1925, when Professor Ueno did not return. The professor had suffered from a cerebral hemorrhage and died, never returning to the train station where Hachikō was waiting. Every day for the next nine years the golden brown Akita waited at Shibuya station.

The permanent fixture at the train station that was Hachikō attracted the attention of other commuters. Many of the people who frequented the Shibuya train station had seen Hachikō and Professor Ueno together each day. They brought Hachikō treats and food to nourish him during his wait.

This continued for nine years with Hachikō appearing precisely when the train was due at the station.[2]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachik%C5%8D
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    norm wrote:
    saw this yesterday...dogs constantly amaze me

it reminded me of this
    In 1924, Hidesaburō Ueno, a professor in the agriculture department at the University of Tokyo, took in Hachikō as a pet. During his owner's life, Hachikō greeted him at the end of each day at the nearby Shibuya Station. The pair continued their daily routine until May 1925, when Professor Ueno did not return. The professor had suffered from a cerebral hemorrhage and died, never returning to the train station where Hachikō was waiting. Every day for the next nine years the golden brown Akita waited at Shibuya station.

The permanent fixture at the train station that was Hachikō attracted the attention of other commuters. Many of the people who frequented the Shibuya train station had seen Hachikō and Professor Ueno together each day. They brought Hachikō treats and food to nourish him during his wait.

This continued for nine years with Hachikō appearing precisely when the train was due at the station.[2]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachik%C5%8D

that's amazing. and all these stories are making me feel really sad. I'm feeling unusually emotional for some reason anyway, and this is not helping.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,412
    what a great dog....
    how sad. :(
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • wow, both stories are amazing and both are incredibly sad. i feel terrible right now.

this is very embarrassing and hard for me to admit, but about 8 months ago i was at my lowest point in my life and was suffering from a terrible depression and at times had contemplated a quick and easy way out of my situation... but every time i thought about it and thought about what i would say in my goodbye letter i looked at my dog and knowing what that would have done to him was enough to get me to seek help. he was my salvation at that point. i am recovered from all of that now, but my god, dogs are amazing animals...
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • MSnider44MSnider44 Posts: 746
    wow, both stories are amazing and both are incredibly sad. i feel terrible right now.

this is very embarrassing and hard for me to admit, but about 8 months ago i was at my lowest point in my life and was suffering from a terrible depression and at times had contemplated a quick and easy way out of my situation... but every time i thought about it and thought about what i would say in my goodbye letter i looked at my dog and knowing what that would have done to him was enough to get me to seek help. he was my salvation at that point. i am recovered from all of that now, but my god, dogs are amazing animals...

No need to be embarrassed about that. We all have and go through difficult times. Thankfully you got through it, and thankfully your best friend (and you, his) got through it....
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    enough with the freaking dogs on here

their is a dead navy seal and everyone is going "aww poor dog" :roll:

how bout poor seal and family

filthy animals that piss and shit all over the streets
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......

You must be a fucking idiot.

I usually don't respond to posts, but yours riled me up something good. You're that filthy animal that pisses and shits all over the streets, aren't you?
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,796
    Dogs are loyal

People.... Not so much

Sad story

the whole situation is sad. but if you can't see the love in that picture, then something is wrong.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 wrote:

the whole situation is sad. but if you can't see the love in that picture, then something is wrong.

i didn't say their wasn't love..but people should be concerned with the family not the dog
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......

i didn't say their wasn't love..but people should be concerned with the family not the dog

i think the response of "how sad" was directed at the whole situation. but the story was about the picture of the dog....and about how the dog wanted to stay by his side. so, there's your explanation for the dog responses.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    MSnider44 wrote:

I usually don't respond to posts, but yours riled me up something good. You're that filthy animal that pisses and shits all over the streets, aren't you?

yes i walk around and piss /shit in the street.... :roll:

at least i would throw water on the piss unlike most everyone

all im saying is feel for the family before the dam dog
    mfc2006 wrote:

Did you read the article? The dog was a part of his family.

"Pembleton wrote on Facebook that Hawkeye was Tumilson’s loyal pet who wouldn't leave his master’s side during the funeral in Rockford, Iowa.
    “I felt compelled to take one photo to share with family members that couldn't make it or couldn't see what I could from the aisle,” Pembleton wrote."
    MSnider44 wrote:

Did you read the article? The dog was a part of his family.

"Pembleton wrote on Facebook that Hawkeye was Tumilson’s loyal pet who wouldn't leave his master’s side during the funeral in Rockford, Iowa.
    “I felt compelled to take one photo to share with family members that couldn't make it or couldn't see what I could from the aisle,” Pembleton wrote."

yea and the first 8 responses were about the dog..not the soldier or family..thats sad
  • Your last post: "yea and the first 8 responses were about the dog..not the soldier or family..thats sad[/quote]

Actually my post was # 4 and it was about the people first. The dog was part of the emotion evoked by the picture but I believe everyone thought of the people before the dogs.

My post: Those brave people. So sad and the picture really drives it home.

Reading your responses I am inclined to side with MSnider44 and think you might be an idiot. Just sayin'
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    edited August 2011
    Your last post: "yea and the first 8 responses were about the dog..not the soldier or family..thats sad

Actually my post was # 4 and it was about the people first. The dog was part of the emotion evoked by the picture but I believe everyone thought of the people before the dogs.

My post: Those brave people. So sad and the picture really drives it home.

Reading your responses I am inclined to side with MSnider44 and think you might be an idiot. Just sayin'[/quote]

yup
    Post edited by neilybabes86 on
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    neilybabes, I think the reason people have such an outpouring of sympathy for the dog, is because unlike humans, that dog will never be able to understand.

While the wound might never be closed for the family, they can at least seek help, understand words of comfort, or at the very least understand why this man is dead. You can't explain these things to a dog, and they have no way to cope with grief, or go through the coping process that (hopefully for humans) ends with acceptance. Dogs (well most anyway) have a one track mind, and that track revolves around their master. What you see in that picture is a creature who has had its entire world ripped away, and it has no way of understanding or coping with it.

I understand what you're saying about the dead SEAL. And that too is sad, but he is gone and no longer has feelings, but that dog in the picture does, and it's in a world of shit right now. We all feel bad for the family as well, but humans are capable of moving on. It will certainly be difficult, and who knows, maybe they never will. But they have the ability to move on with their life to some extent, even though it will be very difficult.

It's the same reason we feel such sympathy for children, because they only know the grief and don't really understand why this is happening. But the children will eventually grow up and while maybe not accepting it, understand it. But even the most grown and mature dog will not be able to understand. And that's sad to some of us.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    neilybabes, I think the reason people have such an outpouring of sympathy for the dog, is because unlike humans, that dog will never be able to understand.

While the wound might never be closed for the family, they can at least seek help, understand words of comfort, or at the very least understand why this man is dead. You can't explain these things to a dog, and they have no way to cope with grief, or go through the coping process that (hopefully for humans) ends with acceptance. Dogs (well most anyway) have a one track mind, and that track revolves around their master. What you see in that picture is a creature who has had its entire world ripped away, and it has no way of understanding or coping with it.

I understand what you're saying about the dead SEAL. And that too is sad, but he is gone and no longer has feelings, but that dog in the picture does, and it's in a world of shit right now. We all feel bad for the family as well, but humans are capable of moving on. It will certainly be difficult, and who knows, maybe they never will. But they have the ability to move on with their life to some extent, even though it will be very difficult.

It's the same reason we feel such sympathy for children, because they only know the grief and don't really understand why this is happening. But the children will eventually grow up and while maybe not accepting it, understand it. But even the most grown and mature dog will not be able to understand. And that's sad to some of us.

Cheers to that......

the dog will be fine in a few weeks...a few bones and walks from another family member and all will be good(with the dog)..unlike the family ..which will never heal
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399

the dog will be fine in a few weeks...a few bones and walks from another family member and all will be good(with the dog)..unlike the family ..which will never heal

That's an assumption, and one that leads me to believe you don't really spend that much time around dogs. Many dogs are pretty much addicted to their masters. It's not something a bone is going to fix. I had a friend die in a car accident about 10 years ago, and his dog died shortly after because it would not eat.

And you don't know if the family will never heal. I've lost friends and loved ones, and while it's not easy, I have been able to move on with my life. I'll always miss them, but it doesn't bother me on a daily basis, and it hasn't destroyed my life. We as humans are capable (I emphasize capable, not that we all WILL) of moving on and coming to terms with a passing.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742

The dog WAS family to the Navy Seal who died. And no one is trying to minimize his death - its just an amazing story to see a dog that refused to leave the side of the casket.

It's a horrible story to read and its an incredibly sad reminder about how many have died recently in Afghanistan. Its a lot more fun to watch the youtube videos of dogs greeting their owners who are coming home from overseas...
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    That is just not true... :(

They might be OK and live life after, but they ALWAYS will remember people who are gone and even after weeks they will look for people that have been gone. It's actually really heartbreaking because as others have pointed out you just can't say 'they're not coming back' or 'they'll be back in a few more weeks.' It's at least a little easier for people because you can just say it.
    We should just leave it alone with neilybabes86. He or she obviously has no connection with animals. He or she is also probably a Michael Vick supporter.

It is a proven, scientific fact, that animal companionship make people happier and healthier. This dog, Hawkeye, was as big of a part of this soldier's family as were his relatives.

If he were alive right now, I'm certain he would want nothing else changed with his funeral/memorial, and with how people are associating and remembering his life/death with his best friend and the sad feelings they have towards Hawkeye.
    people....its a dog....

my condolences to the family and dog
This discussion has been closed.