My dad's medical condition - difficult decision

JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
edited May 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
My dad is 84, and for the past few years, trips to the ER have become more frequent.

He was in the hospital for two weeks earlier this month because of low blood sugar, pneumonia and a staph infection. He also suffers from dementia and COPD (a pulmonary disease). At the end of his latest hospital stay, the doctor recommended hospice care, and estimated a life expectancy of 1 year.

He was home for a week, during which he insisted on going out to lunch a few times, and visiting his brother, who is in a nursing home recovering from a few broken bones.

Yesterday, he felt very weak, so my mom had him carted back to the ER. They suspected a stroke at first, but now they think it is his refusal to eat that is causing his weakness. His dementia is progressing to very advanced levels.

Today, the hospital doctor recommended hospice care, and mentioned that he may only have a few months to live.

My mom is 76, and the past few years have been very hard on her. We have to decide if we want to continue getting him treated to prolong his life, or, if we want to bring in hospice care to make him as comfortable as possible for his remaing time.

Anyone else dealing with this?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pinkbutterflypinkbutterfly Posts: 1,391
    I just want to send my prayers to you and your family. *HUG*
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    I am so sorry for what you and your family are going through. We went through a similiar thing with my grandfather last year. He had Parkinsons and had trouble swallowing and lost a lot of weight. He collapsed at my mums on Christmas day 09 and while in hospital the doctors recommended he didn't go home. After spending some time in the hospital he was transferred to a rest home. He was miserable and it was really hard on him but it was what was best for him and Nana. He past away a year ago yesterday. He was 86.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    we went through this when my Dad was diagnosed with ALS. so sorry that he's not doing well, Joe. did your parents talk about this & come up with a "plan?" fortunately for us, my parents had that discussion & it made the decision much easier b/c we all knew what he wanted. thoughts & prayers are with you & your family.

Matt
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    joe, I am so sorry to hear about your father. This is a very personal choice to make and it does take time to come to a decision.

From what I remember about my grandmother, she had severe denentia and suffered a stroke. While she was in the hospital, her health declined further, and she no longer recognized anybody, so the decision was made to let her go. Everybody was asked to come to say goodbye...

IMHO: I am a firm believer in 'quality of life' rather then 'longevity'. If a person can no longer enjoy life's purpose, it is not fair to them to prolong their life for the sake of others unless it it to be sure that others have the chance to say their 'goodbye'. If that person is still eager to live life, looks forward to upcoming events, still engages in conversation, then prolong it as long as possible. Life is precious and a gift to enjoy.

I wish you and your family peace in your hearts.{{{HUGS}}}
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    RKCNDY wrote:
    IMHO: I am a firm believer in 'quality of life' rather then 'longevity'. If a person can no longer enjoy life's purpose, it is not fair to them to prolong their life for the sake of others unless it it to be sure that others have the chance to say their 'goodbye'. If that person is still eager to live life, looks forward to upcoming events, still engages in conversation, then prolong it as long as possible. Life is precious and a gift to enjoy.

this

joe i went through this last year but i'm not in the mood right now to go through it all but i will later
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Thanks for the kind words.
    norm wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

this

joe i went through this last year but i'm not in the mood right now to go through it all but i will later

No worries, Norm. Peace.
  • NeilNeil Posts: 82
    RKCNDY wrote:

Hey Joe,

My heart and thoughts go out to you.

I too agree with the RKCNDY. With my grandmother, the one thing that helped me and my family more than anything else was knowing that the person, the thoughts, the smile, had passed a long time before the breath had left her body. Being able to separate the physical and the spirit was truly important.

I wish you and your family strength,

Neil
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    Man, this tugs at my heart strings... No matter what happens, be thankful you have had so many years with your father. Many of us have not been so fortunate. Fathers are a beautiful thing.. Nothing but my best wishes for you and your family.

Matt
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • CH156378CH156378 Posts: 1,539
    my thoughts are with you also man. my father in law just passed in feb. kind of went through the same thing. it sucks. my father in law was 55 when he passed. 84 is a great run. his hospice was kind of like a nursing home. you can have guests in and out all day and he can leave or go vivsiting with you whenever. also its nice to know he had the professinal care he needed. much love.
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    We went through this 2 years ago with my Opa. I wish love and light to your mom, you, and all your family during this time. BIG HUGS.
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Prayers and thoughts goes out to you and your family.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    First, so sorry for what you're going through. We're there as well. My mother in law is 90 and in hospice care with pancreatic cancer. She's in Alaska, and we aren't, so it's been especially hard due to travel etc.
    Hospice is wonderful in my experience. We also had a cousin that just died in Colorado who used hospice and they were wonderful with him. I suppose it differs, as they are mostly volunteers, but I've heard nothing but good things.
    Good luck to you and best wishes. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    Joe i dont know either that i can offer better words than rkcndy. just know that i'm thinking about you and sending good vibes and i believe that it will all be ok. life's tough and this situation is certainly one of the toughest. best of wishes to you and your family.
    jamie
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    My dad is 84, and for the past few years, trips to the ER have become more frequent.

He was in the hospital for two weeks earlier this month because of low blood sugar, pneumonia and a staph infection. He also suffers from dementia and COPD (a pulmonary disease). At the end of his latest hospital stay, the doctor recommended hospice care, and estimated a life expectancy of 1 year.

He was home for a week, during which he insisted on going out to lunch a few times, and visiting his brother, who is in a nursing home recovering from a few broken bones.

Yesterday, he felt very weak, so my mom had him carted back to the ER. They suspected a stroke at first, but now they think it is his refusal to eat that is causing his weakness. His dementia is progressing to very advanced levels.

Today, the hospital doctor recommended hospice care, and mentioned that he may only have a few months to live.

My mom is 76, and the past few years have been very hard on her. We have to decide if we want to continue getting him treated to prolong his life, or, if we want to bring in hospice care to make him as comfortable as possible for his remaing time.

Anyone else dealing with this?

Joe,

Sorry to hear this.

My grandfather had the same situation. My grandmother suffered terribly and if we could do it over, we would have chosen to make him as comfortable as possible, and not prolong his life.

That would have been best for everyone. But that is not an easy choice to make.

Many blessing whichever path you decide to take.
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Geez pal, that is terrible...

Unfortunately I have no advise. What I do can do is to send good vibes to you, your mother and father....
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
    Thanks again for the nice comments.

My brother is a chassidic Jew, so he may have differing ideas on handling the eventual end of our dads life.
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you.

Agree with RKCNDY.
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    I agree with RKCNDY too.

My thoughts are with you and your family Joe. Too bad there's not a 'hugs' smilie, I'd insert one here. :)
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    I also agree with RKCNDY. I am very sorry to hear about your situation; I know it must be very difficult. My parents are older, too, but I am not dealing with such situations as of yet. I think hospice would be helpful if that is what the doctors suggest and if they believe the situation to be at that point. It sounds like you and your family have been there for your dad, and that's the best thing that you can do (although it's very hard). I think it's very sweet that your dad wanted to go out to lunch and go see his brother (for me, that is one thing that tugged at my heart strings). I'm not sure what his situation is now after his possible stroke, but as long as it's possible and he is coherent enough, I would try to do little things like that for him if he wants to and is able. Hospice can be very helpful to the patient, and to the family. My thoughts are with you and your family, and I wish you all the best.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    my best wishes to you and your family..stay positive..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Another one chiming in with thoughts and prayers and in agreement with RKCNDY.

You want your loved ones to be comfortable and not suffering. Anything else is just prolonging the inevitable.

take it easy.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I think everyone can say if it was them ... themselves they would not want to prolong the inevitable.

Having said goodbye to many loved ones
    all I know is give lots of love and let them go in their own time as comfortably as possible.

My thoughts and prayers for strength are with you and your family.
  • Its never easy to know what the 'right' decision is, not in a time like this. You may second guess every opinion, every decision, but with love in your heart, you and your family will do what you feel is best for your father.

Cherish every waking moment, every breath, every embrace, every smile, every laugh...
    My love and prayers to your father, you, and your family during this most difficult time. Hugs Joe.

~jen
  • Sad to hear this, my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family

i can't offer any advice as i've not been in your position but i also agree with RKCNDY - quality of life is the most important. cherishing what you have now, making him feel as comfortable and loved as possible.
    it's a very difficult decision and one that you'll probably think over and over again - but i hope and believe that whatever decision you make will be the best one - for your dad, your mum, yourself and your family.

best wishes to you and your family, stay strong and positive
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Sorry to read this Joe.....another one with no practical advice but I wish you the best.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,138
    Very sorry that you are having to go through this. I think that hospice is a good and helpful service provided by people who truly care (at least that's been my experience). However, without knowing you and your family, it's tough to give any kind of advice on what to do. You and your family are in my prayers and I pray that God gives you the guidance and strength that you need during this time.
    Thanks again to everybody for the kind words.

My mom and I met with the doctor today, and it looks like we will go with the hospice care. My sister, who lives in NY, supports our decision.

I saw my dad in the hospital today...he was all doped-up and sleeping. Very sad to see him so frail.

My mom is starting to show signs of cracking, but I assured her that I would handle the necessary arrangements, and, I made sure that she knows she made the right choice.

I told her I would handle the calls from my sister today so that she doesn't have to field the barrage of questions my sister would rightfully ask.

My mom told me that on his birthday this past December, my dad wept at the fact that it may have been his last birthday. :(

My mom started mentioning funeral arrangements.....that really made this more of a harsh reality. She has always seen the cup as full, even when it was obviously empty, so for her to mention funeral plans is a big step for her.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

My mom told me that on his birthday this past December, my dad wept at the fact that it may have been his last birthday. :(

that just brake my heart....feel so sorry... :(
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • appieappie Posts: 1,441
    Its a heartbreaking story to read Joe and i wish you and your family the best in this sad period..
    Sending thoughts and prayers and hugs to you all...
    Pearl Jam 4 live
    h8 2 w8 for concerts