Options

The band's sign policy??

U R A Crazy BreedU R A Crazy Breed Posts: 8,370
edited July 2008 in The Porch
Anyone ever tried to bring a sign to a PJ concert and have security tell you you coudln't bring it in? My daughter made a sign for Mansfield II for me (crown of thorns) and it came out really nice(she stayed up all night making it)only to have the Mansfield Gestapo douche-bags tell her she couldn't bring it in and they said it was "the band's policy".

now i have seen people with huge signs("play leash you pussies" comes to mind)but i think they were written on a sheet or some kind of cloth.just curious if it is band policy and if there are exceptions?

because someday,somehow, i will get them to play crown of thorns in Boston!!!!

1000th post!!:)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    You can fold up the paper and sneak it in like that... I saw people in mansfield do it.

Although I think that signing is a bit annoying if done by a lot of people... if you can get them to play No Way with it though... that would be stellar.
  • Options
    If you want to bring a sign into a venue....go to a wrestling match.
    "No need to be void,...or save up on life...You got to spend it all....."
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,117
    I don't know, but I wish it was the band's policy.

Signs are really annoying, especially for those sitting behind you.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    Some signs are good.

One word.

Breath.
    What the fuck is this world?
  • Options
    i wouldn't be holding the fucking thing up all night and i certainly wouldn't block someones view and screw up their concert experience.just a quick flash between songs to get their attention and hope they play my request.

oh and ah.....fuck wrestling,not my thing.:)
  • Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102
    Anyone ever tried to bring a sign to a PJ concert and have security tell you you coudln't bring it in? My daughter made a sign for Mansfield II for me (crown of thorns) and it came out really nice(she stayed up all night making it)only to have the Mansfield Gestapo douche-bags tell her she couldn't bring it in and they said it was "the band's policy".

now i have seen people with huge signs("play leash you pussies" comes to mind)but i think they were written on a sheet or some kind of cloth.just curious if it is band policy and if there are exceptions?

because someday,somehow, i will get them to play crown of thorns in Boston!!!!

1000th post!!:)

Let me get this right. You have a problem with people educating themselves on how to get tickets, but you think it is cool to make signs that fuck up everybody's view. You are a Boston Masshole.
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102

SHOCKING
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Options
    PJBuckeye wrote:
    Let me get this right. You have a problem with people educating themselves on how to get tickets, but you think it is cool to make signs that fuck up everybody's view. You are a Boston Masshole.

"educating themselves on how to get tickets" :D:D you're funny!!

maybe your dumb ass needs to take a reading comprehension course.i just fucking said i wouldn't fuck up anyone's view(well..unless you were behind me.)

so i guess I'll call you the Illinois Idiot!!
  • Options
    pateljampateljam Posts: 340

That's Funny... signs are dumb
    2000-10-28 San Bernardino
    2003-06-02 Irvine
    2003-10-26 Mountain View-Bridge School
    2006-07-09 Los Angeles
    2006-07-10 Los Angeles
    2006-10-22 Mountain View- Bridge School
    2008-07-19 UCLA-Who Rock Honors
    2009-10-1 Los Angeles-2
    2009-10-9 San Diego
  • Options
    DiRtYyELLoWoCeAnDiRtYyELLoWoCeAn Medford, Ma Posts: 1,605
    all this fighting is hysterical and just made me spit water all over myself!
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• Options
    pateljam wrote:
    That's Funny... signs are dumb

not when CROWN OF THORNS is written on it!!!!!!!!! :D:D
  • Options
    i wouldn't be holding the fucking thing up all night and i certainly wouldn't block someones view and screw up their concert experience.just a quick flash between songs to get their attention and hope they play my request.

You had me for a brief second and then you lost me......."just a quick flash between songs". See that is the whole thing, once is honestly too much and the more likely you think you will be seen, the more you will try to get the bands attention with it.

Sure the kids quite the artist, but sorry, keep the freaking signs at home!
  • Options
    BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    I think signs are Ok if they're done rarely and only put up maybe 2 or 3 times throughout the show.. and never during a song, otherwise it ruins a lot of people's views.
  • Options
    I think signs are Ok if they're done rarely and only put up maybe 2 or 3 times throughout the show.. and never during a song, otherwise it ruins a lot of people's views.

i agree and i wouldn't want someone doing it to me but i think it's possible to make a sign and have the band see it without blowing the show for someone.

AND WHO DOESN'T WANT TO HEAR CROWN OF THORNS????!!!
  • Options
    CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    I've never been close enough to be annoyed by others' signs.

That being said...

I was at Mansfield II and standing nearly adjacent to me waiting at the gates to get in was someone with a very obvious sign requesting a song (I don't recall which) and I later saw that sign bopping around about 20 rows in front of me. There was no attempt to fold/hide the sign and security let her in.

Also at one of the shows I attended this summer (Camden I, II, Hartford, Mansfield), I believe during an Ed preset but perhaps not, Ed made sure to ask security why they were making a woman in the front put away her sign, telling them it's ok and everybody's cool and having a good time. That sort of puts a hole in the "against band policy" excuse security gave you.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Options
    SCRIBLING C-MENTSCRIBLING C-MENT Springfield, IL Posts: 248

That $hit was so fuckin' funny and so true too
  • Options
    ...this bickering over to sign or not to sign is really lame...

I think "it's the band's policy" is an excuse every venue uses when it goes against THEIR policy. The band is just a scapegoat.

and for the record, i don't have an issue with signs/flags/shirts as long as they're not held up for the entire show and they don't obstruct my view for too long.
  • Options
    I've never been close enough to be annoyed by others' signs.

That being said...

I was at Mansfield II and standing nearly adjacent to me waiting at the gates to get in was someone with a very obvious sign requesting a song (I don't recall which) and I later saw that sign bopping around about 20 rows in front of me. There was no attempt to fold/hide the sign and security let her in.

Also at one of the shows I attended this summer (Camden I, II, Hartford, Mansfield), I believe during an Ed preset but perhaps not, Ed made sure to ask security why they were making a woman in the front put away her sign, telling them it's ok and everybody's cool and having a good time. That sort of puts a hole in the "against band policy" excuse security gave you.

i was thinking they were full of shit the whole time that dickhead security was giving us his spiel about "band policy".

i fucking hate Mansfield!! PJ is the only band that can get me to go to that fucking prison.

funny thing is when i went to MSG for the first time i was expecting this kind of shit there,but it was mad cool!! i didn't see many cops and i wasn't fucked with at all.
  • Options
    indifferentmanindifferentman Goshen, IN Posts: 731
    Shit, MSG didn't even do a pat down either night! :0 I was worried about it enough before night one to give my camera to a friend who was staying at a nearby hotel so I could pick it up after, and then the dude next to me inside the show had one hanging in a case AROUND HIS NECK! He said security didn't hassle him about it, they just asked him to open the case and see that it was just a camera!
    I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind - E.V.
    06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
  • Options
    JimBerkellJimBerkell Posts: 579
    Thanks to people holding up signs at the Columbia, SC show... we got both WMA and Footsteps! :D
    "You could have licked the lips of God, but you chose the pavement..." ~ These Arms Are Snakes
  • Options
    possomistspossomists Posts: 427
    JimBerkell wrote:
    Thanks to people holding up signs at the Columbia, SC show... we got both WMA and Footsteps! :D

ha, you really think thats why they played those songs? thats as funny as your screenname
    "you can say that we're, nocturnal, posssomists"
    -ed july 8th MSG 2004
  • Options
    possomists wrote:
    ha, you really think thats why they played those songs? thats as funny as your screenname

yeah, i saw a copy of the setlist and both were added in. ;) early on ed sees the WMA sign and says, "yeah, okay we'll take some requests" then he has the person with the footsteps towel send it to him so he could put it on his monitor. all in all, yeah i think it's safe to say that's why they added the songs.

oh, and my sn isn't my actual name by the way.
    "You could have licked the lips of God, but you chose the pavement..." ~ These Arms Are Snakes
  • Options
    JimBerkell wrote:
    yeah, i saw a copy of the setlist and both were added in. ;) early on ed sees the WMA sign and says, "yeah, okay we'll take some requests" then he has the person with the footsteps towel send it to him so he could put it on his monitor. all in all, yeah i think it's safe to say that's why they added the songs.

when the singer is cool like Ed,signs DO WORK!!! :):)
  • Options
    possomistspossomists Posts: 427
    you guys are funny, hooray for my sign
    "you can say that we're, nocturnal, posssomists"
    -ed july 8th MSG 2004
  • Options
    BeerBaron wrote:
    Were other songs scratched off to add those ones in?

yeah, i can't remember right off hand which ones though.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    signs, with rare exceptions, suck.

The "Breath" campaign in 1998 was pretty cool.
    "Play Leash You Pussies" was funny.

But nothing's ever as cool or as funny as it was the first time. It's kind of been played out, to the point that it's kind of fucking annoying now.

There was somebody with a sign at MSG. Couldn't quite make it out but (I swear) the sign-bearer was asking if she (or he?!?) could suck Ed's cock. The shark has officially been jumped.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    There was somebody with a sign at MSG. Couldn't quite make it out but (I swear) the sign-bearer was asking if she (or he?!?) could suck Ed's cock. The shark has officially been jumped.

I thought thats what that said. Weird..
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,535
    to the douchebag at Mansfield II sitting on the floor on Mike's side a couple rows ahead of me going MAD as he was jumping up and down, waving the "Vedder for President" sign like an @$$hole blocking EVERYONE'S view for 15-20 seconds at a time about 3-5 times during every one of the 1st 5 songs,...

THANK YOU for taking down the sign, and keeping it down for the rest of the show (you later moved a few seats over and did the same thing) after I tossed a penny at your back to put you in your place ;):D

edit: after Ed saw the sign and acknowledged it with a polite smile and nod, you STILL thought it would be best to flash the sign again some more at Ed, not to mention turning back and showing the sign to the rest of us DURING THE SONGS - WTF?!
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    Signs should be imaginative. Use some humour, for chrissakes. Give your song request a bit of a twist. Or have a complete non sequitur.

And stick it up only at select moments for a few seconds at most. Overall I don't see what the big deal is about signing, compared to the prevalence of people who spend the whole show sticking up their cameras to take bad blurry shots that they'll promptly delete.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    100 Pacer wrote:
    to the douchebag at Mansfield II sitting on the floor on Mike's side a couple rows ahead of me going MAD as he was jumping up and down, waving the "Vedder for President" sign like an @$$hole blocking EVERYONE'S view for 15-20 seconds at a time about 3-5 times during every one of the 1st 5 songs,...

THANK YOU for taking down the sign, and keeping it down for the rest of the show (you later moved a few seats over and did the same thing) after I tossed a penny at your back to put you in your place ;):D

edit: after Ed saw the sign and acknowledged it with a polite smile and nod, you STILL thought it would be best to flash the sign again some more at Ed, not to mention turning back and showing the sign to the rest of us DURING THE SONGS - WTF?!

i would never be that inconsiderate!!

you should of thrown a quarter at him,it would of been more appropriate :D