Gather to the Chapel - I'll be Lightning.

Capricorn SisterCapricorn Sister Posts: 194
edited February 2008 in The Porch
Formerly the leader of Alterna-Rockers 'Betchadupa', Liam is the son of Crowded House/Split Enz singer/songwriter Neil Finn. (Track 3, 'Gather to the Chapel' is an import CD single on Amazon.)

Finn is currently on the road to promote his solo debut, "I'll Be Lightning" (Yep Roc). He plays every instrument on the album - and during live shows. Triggering loops he creates via pedals, he'll riff on guitar, go nuts on theramin and pummel a drum kit for a one-man-band extravaganza.

Does anyone have this CD? If so, I would like your opinion. Is it a true represention of "yacht rock"?
Everyone is born, but not everyone is born the same. Some will grow to be butchers, or bakers, or candlestick makers. Some will only be really good at making Jell-O salad. One way or another, though, every human being is unique, for better or for worse.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,088
    Where's this article from? Betchadupa are from New Zealand! I'd argue Liam is too, but he was born in Australia so that's debatable I suppose. Betchadupa however was formed in Auckland.

I guess I'm just annoyed because of the strong New Zealand connection, yet Pearl Jam hasn't been here for 10 years (exactly, as of tomorrow!) even though they've been to Oz twice in that time! Then to rub salt in the wound, Ed uses a Kiwi to open his shows but we're not allowed to buy fanclub tickets! It's sad :(
  • i dunno what yacht rock even is :confused:

i like 'second chance' the best off the album so far :)
  • bazzer wrote:
    Then to rub salt in the wound, Ed uses a Kiwi to open his shows but we're not allowed to buy fanclub tickets! It's sad :(
    I fixed the error - I'm sorry that I got the information wrong. Instead of a Kiwi to open Ed's show - who would you rather we see up on that stage? And thirdly - do you enjoy Liam's music; out from undereneath the umbrella of his father and uncle?
    Everyone is born, but not everyone is born the same. Some will grow to be butchers, or bakers, or candlestick makers. Some will only be really good at making Jell-O salad. One way or another, though, every human being is unique, for better or for worse.
  • bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,088
    No worries, it wasn't meant as an attack. I guess I'm also happy that he's opening for him, maybe he can remind Ed that the band hasn't been to NZ in a while! ;)

I saw him at this year's Big Day Out. I haven't heard the album though. The live thing is pretty interesting. It's basically just him (he did also have a supporting player, Jimmy Barnes' daughter!) and it was good.