Stop What You're Doing Now and put on CNN

2»

Comments

• tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    Looks like a prime example of what human beings can achieve when they put their minds to it, and pull out all stops. Apparently there have been a fair few technological breakthroughs along the way, they've worked with NASA etc. Makes me wonder why we can't apply a similar focus to other problems we face as a human race. Fingers crossed for the rest.....
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Can't wait for the movie.
    They could produce a documentary film that would be just as good. I haven't been able to watch for more than about 5 minutes without welling up!!

• LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    I love feel-good stories!

It would be great to take them all to a bar to celebrate but I guess you can't serve alcohol to miners.

ba dump-bump
    :D
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    Lizard wrote:
    I love feel-good stories!

It would be great to take them all to a bar to celebrate but I guess you can't serve alcohol to miners.

ba dump-bump
    :D

Hahaha - apparently while they have been in the 'cave' they have all been trained on how to extract the maximum money from the media when they get out - they are all poor miners - but they plan to pool the money and stay together as a group. I bet you get pretty tight in a situation like that. The first 15 days or so nobody knew they were alive, and they didn't know if anybody knew where they were or would ever reach them.

Harsh!

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,262
    24 up!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    So happy these poor souls finally are coming out of the cave after 70 days...and it is a strong sign of what humans can accomplish when we work together - especially to serve each other - great stuff...

That being said, this whole idea of yankin' up outta the hole and havin all of the data and personal info on the screen is weird to me...kinda like the NBA draft...strange, but heartwarming at the same time...kinda like that sloppy kiss from 87 year old drunk Aunt Leona on New Years Eve:)
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
    Yes it's going to be weird for them, and a sign of the crazy world we seem to live in.

I think this will be seen as a pivotal event of the era though - can't quite say why. Like Live Aid for the 1980s. There are two miners left, and if they all come out this will be one of the most IMPECCABLE operations and experiences in history I believe. If you look at all the elements together. It's a triumph of basing everything on a 'we are not prepared to give up on this' starting point.

It's also the first 'Mediathon' I can remember which hasn't revolved around some celebrity dying in weird circumstances.

I think this will be remembered for a long time to come.

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,734
    Incredible. All the miners are up
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Incredible. All the miners are up

av-2132.gif

Bravo, that's awesome!

Peace be with them
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Dear Chilean Miners,

Much has changed since you first became trapped in a mine. So much! Here's a refresher to catch you up:

1. A witch has come out and attacked masturbation. Despite living in the least popular state in America, she's currently the nation's most well known politician.

2. A website that collects photographs of unattractive families is now a TV show.

3. The guy from "Some Kind of Wonderful" could've been the guy from "Back to the Future." After spending 25 years coming to terms with this fact, Robert Zemeckis decided to rub it in his face.

4. The news became OBSESSED with a group of unfortunate Chileans. Not sure of the details.

5. A family in Alabama survived a scare when a rapist attacked a young woman in her bedroom at night. It goes without saying that people all over the world thought this was the funniest thing to ever happen. The rape victim's older brother is now the most famous person in the world, performing to uproarious crowds at BET awards shows. The family has since moved from the projects, where apparently they are raping everybody. Obviously.
    dodsonminers_fullsize.jpg?f85d7543

6. An anti-Musilim pastor has no Koran.

7. Speaking of Muslims, they decided to build a rec center in an old Burlington Coat Factory. Speaking of rec centers in old Burlington Coat Factories, America is apparently really racist.

8. Thousands of people asked each other "You know what's cool?"

9. A Billion Dollars is cool.

10. Brett Favre took photographs of his new pair of crocs and sent them a busty female employee of the Jets. His penis happen to be in the shot, too.

http://www.funnyordie.com/stories/e3378 ... sed?=fbook

:mrgreen:
  • norm wrote:
    Dear Chilean Miners,

Much has changed since you first became trapped in a mine. So much! Here's a refresher to catch you up:

1. A witch has come out and attacked masturbation. Despite living in the least popular state in America, she's currently the nation's most well known politician.

2. A website that collects photographs of unattractive families is now a TV show.

3. The guy from "Some Kind of Wonderful" could've been the guy from "Back to the Future." After spending 25 years coming to terms with this fact, Robert Zemeckis decided to rub it in his face.

4. The news became OBSESSED with a group of unfortunate Chileans. Not sure of the details.

5. A family in Alabama survived a scare when a rapist attacked a young woman in her bedroom at night. It goes without saying that people all over the world thought this was the funniest thing to ever happen. The rape victim's older brother is now the most famous person in the world, performing to uproarious crowds at BET awards shows. The family has since moved from the projects, where apparently they are raping everybody. Obviously.
    dodsonminers_fullsize.jpg?f85d7543

6. An anti-Musilim pastor has no Koran.

7. Speaking of Muslims, they decided to build a rec center in an old Burlington Coat Factory. Speaking of rec centers in old Burlington Coat Factories, America is apparently really racist.

8. Thousands of people asked each other "You know what's cool?"

9. A Billion Dollars is cool.

10. Brett Favre took photographs of his new pair of crocs and sent them a busty female employee of the Jets. His penis happen to be in the shot, too.

http://www.funnyordie.com/stories/e3378 ... sed?=fbook

:mrgreen:

Ugh he was wearing crocs :o

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • norm wrote:

:lol:

Seriously. What a turn off.

Didn't his wife have cancer?!! He sounds like a classy guy :roll:
    norm wrote:

Seriously. What a turn off.

Didn't his wife have cancer?!! He sounds like a classy guy :roll:

oh bret is all class...but then, what guy texting pics of his junk isn't classy? :roll: :lol:
  • norm wrote:
    oh bret is all class...but then, what guy texting pics of his junk isn't classy? :roll: :lol:

What that isn't classy?? :?

back to the Chilean miners. They probably have something more to look at than Brett Favre ;)
    back to the Chilean miners. They probably have something more to look at than Brett Favre ;)

'cept for that one dude that has a wife and a mistress :lol::lol:
  • norm wrote:

'cept for that one dude that has a wife and a mistress :lol::lol:

He probably wears crocs anyway :roll:
    We're officially 24 hrs from someone telling a Santiago nightclub bouncer, "yeah, the thing is, I'm one of the miners." -- seth myers

http://twitter.com/#!/sethmeyers21/status/27308392392

:lol::lol:
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    norm wrote:
    We're officially 24 hrs from someone telling a Santiago nightclub bouncer, "yeah, the thing is, I'm one of the miners." -- seth myers

http://twitter.com/#!/sethmeyers21/status/27308392392

:lol::lol:
    Lol, i was just saying on someone's facebook, I wonder how many "chilean mine rocks" are giong to go on ebay!
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam