Options

Photos of Layne Staley's condo

scottstappsucksscottstappsucks Posts: 991
edited August 2010 in Other Music
http://grungereport.net/2010/08/27/excl ... eys-condo/

I know many have already seen pics of Layne's condo but somebody who went to the tribute this past weekend sent me some new ones.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i have not, and will not, click on that link but i will to ask........... why why why???
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    i have not, and will not, click on that link but i will to ask........... why why why???
    Why not?
    Seriously, why not? Not being a smart ass.
    People visit Graceland by the thousands.
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Why not?

The condo is where Staley went to wither away and die

Graceland was the center of Elvis' life, and his personal sanctuary(2nd floor) there is closed off.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    Why not?

The condo is where Staley went to wither away and die

Graceland was the center of Elvis' life, and his personal sanctuary(2nd floor) there is closed off.
    I see where you're coming from and I've been to Graceland twice now. I've always found it classy that they don't open the upstairs part of the house. As far as I know, Layne's condo is not open to the public and those pictures seem to make that apparent....otherwise I'm sure that person would have toured it.
    Does no one ever visit Kurt's house?
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    People visit Kurt's house, though the garden house where 'events took place' was torn down by Courtney, then she sold the house. Most go to the park and sit on the bench and leave trinkets there as Courtney has/lost Kurt's ashes. (Many stories about his ashes)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906

its a few pictures taken of the exterior of the condo, not the interior. Maybe you didnt know that but I dont see the big deal at all.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options

its a few pictures taken of the exterior of the condo, not the interior. Maybe you didnt know that but I dont see the big deal at all.

considering i said i didnt click on the link then of course i didnt know it was just the exterior of a building. i just find it weird for people to want to see where someone died... just like i find autographs weird.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    edited August 2010
    It's ok if people find this weird. It doesn't bother me either way.

When I get the chance to go to Seattle, I want to go by Kurt and Courtney's house and Layne's condo complex.

I want to because for me Seattle helped define the music that I connected with and defined my youth and who I am. The Seattle scene embedded my love for music- planted the seed in my soul.

I want to go to these sights because it would just seem incomplete to me visiting Seattle, and not going by them.
    Even though Kurt and Lyne both lived lives in their famous era plagued by drugs, and it is extremely sad, I still think that it is important to go by those places (from a music passion standpoint).

On the autograph thing, If I have the opportunity to get a piece of work signed I do it, because it gives me an opportunity to personally thank the artists for their work and express my gratitude in what their work means to me personally. I am not one of those people to seek an autograph to pilfer it off on Ebay for profitable gain. I realise people do it, and it's fine, but personally I find it unethical and that is why I don't.

I see both sides, some people aren't into the whole autograph and landmark visits but it's cool either way. I have friends who don't care about autographs, and I respect their opinion as much as mine.
    Post edited by red mos on
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    I think Layne's place is a hot spot for Grunge fans who visit is because what else is there to really see? There's a lot of mystique behind it too since nobody really knows what Layne was up to during his last five years, outside of heroin obviously. I'm still shocked there are no photos of him online post February 1997. You would think somebody outside of his family would have taken a picture of him while hanging out or something within the five years following that. I think this lengthy review I was sent of the Layne tribute show/trip to Seattle can explain why people might go there.

http://grungereport.net/2010/08/28/excl ... o-seattle/

I've actually had photos of inside Layne's home but I've been told not to share them. I also have the floor plan of his house. They were briefly online at one point but disappeared, maybe someday I'll post them.
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130

I'm not defending it, but is it really any worse/more disrespectful than that scene of Matt Dillon hamming it up over Jimi Hendrix gravestone in Singles?
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Funny he mentioned Noc Noc, my uncle DJs there!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387

considering i said i didnt click on the link then of course i didnt know it was just the exterior of a building. i just find it weird for people to want to see where someone died... just like i find autographs weird.

I agree with you catefrances ... I have no desire to look either,regardless if it was the inside our outside of the house.
    It was his home regardless of where he died.I wouldn't want people hanging round or taking photo's of my home.Treat people as you would want to be treated ... whether dead or alive,famous or not respect their space.

I was in Seattle Septemeber 94,the trip had been booked months before Kurt died.We had no desire to take a ghost tour of the house.We laid flowers and a note at the square where Courtney held the memoriam.That fitte d our need to acknowledge Kurt.

Yep autographs are weird too
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    HeavyHands wrote:

I'm not defending it, but is it really any worse/more disrespectful than that scene of Matt Dillon hamming it up over Jimi Hendrix gravestone in Singles?

i wasnt looking at it as disrespectful or not. i was looking at it from a weirdness viewpoint.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    i wasnt looking at it as disrespectful or not. i was looking at it from a weirdness viewpoint.

I don't disagree that it is weird at all. I'm just wondering if smiling and mugging for a professional movie camera literally above someones grave isn't also really weird in it's own way.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    this kind of thing is disturbing... I find it hugely strange that people will sit in a park near Kurt Cobains house and light wee candles and then probably cry and yet they probably don't even visit their grandparents grave... or their grandparents even if they are alive.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    ^^^This.
  • Options
    HeavyHands wrote:

I don't disagree that it is weird at all. I'm just wondering if smiling and mugging for a professional movie camera literally above someones grave isn't also really weird in it's own way.

and id answer yes it is weird.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say