I'll never understand looting...

blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
edited July 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Watching some coverage about this Oakland shooting verdict... I know next to nothing about this case, but it looks like a bullshit verdict, so I can understand the protests. I can even understand the hatred aimed at the cops and all that, but what in the hell about a bad verdict or racial inequality (or whatever they view as a motive) gives people a reason in their mind to destroy personal property or to rob a store? What the hell did the person or company that owns the store have to do with it?

People caught doing this should be given the strictest punishment possible.
My whole life
was like a picture
of a sunny day
“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
― Abraham Lincoln
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mrveddersonmrvedderson Posts: 784
    I think the fact that people are complaining is pretty lame. You would expect it when every issue is turned into a race issue. From what i have gathered of the story; guy was fighting, got told to stop. Did not stop. Resisted arrest (After have already done this with a pistol in a previous situation). Got dealt with. Continued to fight. A taser would have been expected to be used. But instead the handgun was grabbed and used. The officer explained the unfortunate error. Went to trial for the correct charge. Was convicted of the correct charge. And will serve time for the correct charge (Or at least a portion of it until the general prison population gets their hands on him).
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    Looting=ignorance
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • arqarq Posts: 8,012
    Looting=ignorance

+opportunism
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • JasonEJasonE Posts: 531
    Opportunity to get free shit and blame it on oppression.
    "If you're not confused, you're not paying attention."

"Rise above principal and do what's right."
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    JasonE wrote:

bingo-card.gif

"I can't believe the police shot that poor, unarmed man.... I think I'm going to commit some robberies to make me feel better."
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    A reporter was asking a looter "what does Foot Locker have to do with this case?" As you can imagine---nonsensical answer.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Lizard wrote:
    A reporter was asking a looter "what does Foot Locker have to do with this case?" As you can imagine---nonsensical answer.

Clearly, if the masses had better shoes they could outrun the corrupt police. C'mon, that's easy... :D
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Lizard wrote:

Clearly, if the masses had better shoes they could outrun the corrupt police. C'mon, that's easy... :D
    :lol:
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Lizard wrote:

When these Nikes were new, I could outrun bullets n' shit.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Lizard wrote:

haha, personally, I'd be at best buy in my best looting attire. I kid. ;)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Maybe all the stores should put up this sign:
    black_owned_do_not_riot_here_sticker-p217284222194289927tdcj_210.jpg
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    CJMST3K wrote:

Even on the L.L Bean store? C'mon!

;)
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    CJMST3K wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol:
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    CJMST3K wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    JasonE wrote:

And I'm not sure if there is ANYTHING that infuriates me more than this. You cry injustice and then turn around and and act like an animal?
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    JasonE wrote:

And I'm not sure if there is ANYTHING that infuriates me more than this. You cry injustice and then turn around and and act like an animal?

Hey atleast there destorying there own neighborhoods.
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    JasonE wrote:

Well it certainly made all Rodney King's problems go away didn't it...made everything all better indeed
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • jammergirljammergirl Posts: 599
    I've been following this case for months, since that's all people have been talking about. basically, the controversy is Oscar Grant was laying face-down on the ground when he was shot (there are numerous videos from different view-points) Mehserle's excuse was he thought he grabbed his taser, even though a gun and a taser feel and look totally different. bottom line, it's not like it was a "heat of the moment" decision, all the people who were in the earlier scuffle were lying face-down on the ground, for several minutes it was only police officers milling around on a secured bart platform. do I think mehserle purposefully shot oscar? no, I think it was a tragic mistake, but I also think INvoluntary manslaughter was a slap on the wrist charge for shooting someone in the back. I think it should have been voluntary manslaughter. certainly not first-degree murder or anything like that, but I understand the anger and passion alot of people are feeling.
    Here is something alot of people watching from other cities should know: from 4pm (when the verdict was read) to sundown there was a massive peaceful protest in the downtown area. police estimates upwards of 600-800 people peacefully holding signs, singing, talking and just venting their frustrations. it was all local people who have a right to peacefully protest and have their voices heard and doing it in a legal way. however,the local TV station interviewed a downtown black business owner and he said "my worry is for when the sun goes down. alot of people from out of town use rallies like this as an excuse to break shit and loot". sure enough, as soon as night fell, people started looting the foot locker and other stores. alot of the local people had gone home at this point.
    wow sorry for the long-winded post, but I just wanted to clear up some misconceptions people might have felt watching the footage of last night. I still love this town, and I am glad to live here. it's not all thugs and gangsters looting shit and shooting each other.
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    I am so pissed off about this whole thing. My sister lives in Oakland and the grocery store by her house was smashed up. That was only 2 blocks away from her house. Scary shit.

And the majority of the vandalism was due to "anarchists" who don't even LIVE in Oakland who came to take advantage and smash shit up. I want to fucking set those hipster Che-shirt wearing bitches on FUCKING FIRE.

And as long as people keep being ghetto and thinking of just themselves, nothing will get better. You want to be treated equal? You want to keep your freedom? Stop acting like a selfish ASSHOLE. They're the reason why cities like Oakland get a bad rap. The majority of folks are just trying to live and be decent citizens.

I hate people.

I mean look at this:

ba-mehserle_498__0501946345.jpg

Odds are that wasn't even written by someone who lives in the city. Just some douchebag.

/ end rant.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    no worry jammergirl, I think we all know not everyone is misbehavin'

and I watched the coverage on CNN and it's exactly as you stated, peaceful at first, for many, many hours and then things started to get out of hand when dusk came. It would have happened in ANYWHERE, USA.

And I remember the case, and I've seen some of the clips, it's a very sad, unfortunate story
    thanks for the kind words, PureandEasy, good to know most people don't think of oakland as full of thugs and whatnot.

chiqui, you are so right about the out of towners being the ones smashing shit up! its always the same group of suburban, white "anarchists" at every gathering. we were watching the live feed of downtown on channel 4 last night and almost everyone being arrested were white kids with che shirts and bandanas around their faces. get a LIFE, losers! trash your own town! what area does your sister live in? I live in the lake merritt area and had a good view of the choppers circling all night...pretty eerie-looking.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    KO282453 wrote:
    JasonE wrote:

Hey atleast there destorying there own neighborhoods.

Looks like someone needs to go loot some classes their local grammar school! :)
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    jammergirl wrote:
    thanks for the kind words, PureandEasy, good to know most people don't think of oakland as full of thugs and whatnot.

chiqui, you are so right about the out of towners being the ones smashing shit up! its always the same group of suburban, white "anarchists" at every gathering. we were watching the live feed of downtown on channel 4 last night and almost everyone being arrested were white kids with che shirts and bandanas around their faces. get a LIFE, losers! trash your own town! what area does your sister live in? I live in the lake merritt area and had a good view of the choppers circling all night...pretty eerie-looking.
    The one thing that gave me pleasure out of all this was watching those same brats getting arrested, was wanting to see 'em get beat up frankly. Losers indeed!

She lives near the Lake too, just a couple blocks away from Whole Foods, it sounds like you guys are neighbors! She saw all the choppers too, she was calling them vultures. The way the media is, sounds about right!
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I am so pissed off about this whole thing. My sister lives in Oakland and the grocery store by her house was smashed up. That was only 2 blocks away from her house. Scary shit.

And the majority of the vandalism was due to "anarchists" who don't even LIVE in Oakland who came to take advantage and smash shit up. I want to fucking set those hipster Che-shirt wearing bitches on FUCKING FIRE.

And as long as people keep being ghetto and thinking of just themselves, nothing will get better. You want to be treated equal? You want to keep your freedom? Stop acting like a selfish ASSHOLE. They're the reason why cities like Oakland get a bad rap. The majority of folks are just trying to live and be decent citizens.

I hate people.

I mean look at this:

ba-mehserle_498__0501946345.jpg

Odds are that wasn't even written by someone who lives in the city. Just some douchebag.

/ end rant.

I think it is very cowardly how some "anarchists" take advantage of these sorts of situations. To me, it is very weak. It proves that they are simply out to express their anger, even if they don't believe in the cause in question. It is a slap in the face to the true supporters of a cause when they simply waltz-on in to a scene and start actining like knuckleheads.
    [quote="chiquimonkey"
    The one thing that gave me pleasure out of all this was watching those same brats getting arrested, was wanting to see 'em get beat up frankly. Losers indeed!

She lives near the Lake too, just a couple blocks away from Whole Foods, it sounds like you guys are neighbors! She saw all the choppers too, she was calling them vultures. The way the media is, sounds about right![/quote]

Wow, we are neighbors! I live closer to grand ave, near the theatre, but we definitely are in the same hood. that's awesome. ha, yeah the media was totally acting damn near giddy whenever it looked like something was going to happen. before sundown one of the reporters said with a petulant whine "Well, there just isn't ANYTHING happening". uh, try not to sound too sad about that, reporter lady.
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    CJMST3K wrote:

;)
    When was the last time you saw any of the brothers or sistahs wearing L.L.Bean?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Cosmo wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:

;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEQAzzVcvtY
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Cosmo wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:

;)

14-carlton.jpg